The effect of boosting low frequency sounds?

Yesterday I went to my audiologist since my right side phonak paradise up p30 hearing aid wasn’t working right. She found out that it was blocked earhook and replaced it.
After that She reprogrammed my aids to increase volume and said she increased low frequency area to let more area to higher frequency. I now hear slightly different . Does low frequency boosting cause the feel of increased volume in all areas?
What is your experience with low frequency boost?
Thanks

Yeah so what happens is if you increase the lower frequencies you also increase the higher frequencies as but only by a small amount, maybe a few dB at most, you can’t make changes in one frequency without changing others, its the way formula works.

1 Like

Another way to “boost” low frequency is to get closed molds. this traps the low frequency in the canal and stops them from leaking out. I may not have this entirely correct, someone may have abetter explanation. But when I closed the vent in my right mold it gave me a richer sound and boosted bass.

1 Like

Do your ear hooks have the little white ball in them?
I always removed them and programmed the aids accordingly.

That little “white ball” is actually an acoustic filter but can be very troublesome for someone with a lot of moisture in there ears. I would routinely bypass them by poking a small hole in the white filter with a needle probe.

4 Likes

How can I remove the ball?
I looked at my right hearing aid earhook and saw that the audiologist removed the ball. The left hearing aid earhook remains damped. The audiologist probably used something like a spring but I’m not sure and I cannot go there whenever I wish. I do have to do it mysef.
And what is gain response of hearing aids when earhooks are undamped? A few decibels gain increase or sound quality changes?

1 Like

I just learned that low frequencies need more power.

I guess I’ll have a bit less battery life with the new fitting

I pushed them out with monofilament line.
If you do this the aids need to be programmed that the dampener has been removed. There is a box to check in the software when removed.

And yes, with the white dampeners removed the aids make a little more gain. This might be a good thing with your hearing loss.

1 Like

Thanks.
Would be it enough if a needle probe is used instead, as gorgeguy said?

1 Like

Usually the needle hole is sufficient, the mesh filter is really fine and plugs easily with moisture. The only potential problem is if feedback becomes more of a problem. The hole in the filter will give a couple dB boost in the 2.5K - 3k area and if you are right on the edge of the feedback managers ability to stop feedback, it might become a problem. Another running of the feedback manager in the software should solve that.

2 Likes