The Compression Handbook

I was searching the web about distortion in hearing aids and found this great book called the The Compression Handbook - it has a good description of how hearing aids work in general in the first chapter and helped me understand about how compression works.

I cannot post the direct link, but you can find it by searching for StarKey Compression Handbook from Google.

1 Like

Thanks. Very interesting since I program my self…

Glad you can program yourself. I recently got the Unitron Moxi 12 for each ear and my audiologist included an iCube and TrueFit software so I can program myself, too. One small problem I was having before was that I was sometimes getting distortion around 3k in the left ear with loud speech, which is where the most loss is (and also where the tinnitus is). I used to think this was my ear causing the distortion. I backed off the gains around 3k and it helped. When I got the Moxis, I also got uDirect2 and uTV so I could stream music and TV. I have turned off the mics for streaming. When I stream, I don’t get most of the distortion (I almost feel my earing is normal, which is awesome!). After reading that book, I now realize that the distortion is probably due to clipping caused by too much gain where I had the most loss. Knowing that, I will tweak some more as needed.

http://www.starkeypro.com/public/pdfs/Compression_Handbook.pdf

thanks! great resource

Thanks.It’s very good.

thanks as well, very interesting.

Thanks guys.

I am trying to learn anything i can about “fitting” these HAs. So far it seems somewhat easier than it was 30 years ago. The tools are much better (hardware and software)

Cheers,

Dave

Sadly Starkey hided/scrambled the Compression Handbook on the Starkey Pro website , therefore i have uploaded a copy of the Compression Handbook
The_Compression_Handbook.pdf (2.3 MB)

2 Likes

Hmmm, clicked on link and then Norton Antivirus warned me about a malicious attack so I bailed out.

here is a direct download from hearing tracker

The_Compression_Handbook.pdf (2.3 MB)

1 Like

@firenzel Thanks for the update and I have successfully downloaded the PDF. It looks a good explanation from the bit I have read so far.