Technology Level Dilemma

I am currently using 6 yr old Resound Linx Quattro hearing aids in the BTE + tubes & earmolds. Previous experience has shown that for some reason my body chemistry doesn’t work well with RICs. The RICs corrode and stop functioning within about 2 months. Therefore I am locked-in to using BTE HAs + tubes & earmolds.

I recently did a trial with Phonak Lumity (with RICs) and would like to upgrade to the Phonak Lumity platform. However, currently, Lumity is not available in the BTE + tubes & earmolds configuration. Phonak, of course, won’t commit to a release date for their Naida (BTE) HAs with Lumity electronics and software.

I am stuck between waiting for an unknown length of time for the Naida/Lumity release or settling for the Naida/Paradise (older Phonak technology - electronics & software).

Any recommendations or suggestions out there???

Thanks

Unfortunately, I can’t use RICs for an extended period, as within 2 months they will need to be replaced because of corrosion. I would love to get the Lumity’s but as of now they are not available in the BTE + tube * ear mold configuration, which I must have instead of RICs.

Thanks

@kevels55 wears Nadia P hearing aids. I know he had to wait for them to come out since they were UP aids.

Maybe he can tell you how long past the Audio models it took for the Naida P aids to come out.

1 Like

So, I’m just curious about your body’s reaction to the RIC. Is it the tip of the RIC or does the entire receiver/speaker corrode? Cuz maybe you could try some other dome on them like acrylic, firm silicone, titanium?

1 Like

Hi Rick, Nadia P UP was February 2021, Nadia M SP, was 2020, I don’t think they did a UP version of the Naida Marvel? It is usually 6 to 9 months after, before BTE, SP’s or UP’s appear, so it should be eminent, its such a small niche market though, but Phonak like to hog the high moral ground in their advertising blurbs, saying for the last 40 odd years, they have always looked after those who need hearing aids the most, the severe/profound users… I am surprised their hasn’t been a Naida Lumity BTE UP or SP out on the market as yet, perhaps the summer, or fall? Oticon Xceed is from 2018 I believe, that’s around 5 years since their iteration of a UP aid, you would think they should have something in the pipeline? Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think this is key. One does not have a reaction to RICs. One has a reaction to materials. If the issue is receivers, one could conceivably replace receivers every two months if one had a good warranty. Even then, not desirable. If it’s a combo of the mold/dome material and the receivers, a different mold material might work. If the issue is the hearing aid body, then the “waterproof” version of the Lumity might be worth a trial. Or one could stick with BTEs and just live with the fact that one won’t have the latest tech.

How are your quattros performing?

What are your return options on the paradise line if you get them a decide that they aren’t as good as the lumities?

Like others have said, it’s important to know whether or not you have an allergy to the materials used in the construction of the RIC. If you have an allergy to acrylic or PVC, that could potentially explain why. I would find out from your audiologist what materials they use for the construction of the mold, ask for an allergy test from your family doctor, or wherever you can.

I think I remember titanium being the preferred material for those with sensitivity or allergies to other materials, so that’s worth a shot too.

It might be that the OP meant that their ear chemistry is prone to rotting the copper and materials inside the RIC though, in which case his point stands about the BTE.

You can get receivers in different finishes (plastics/SS) within the Resound range if it’s the outer part of the unit that’s causing the issue.

1 Like

The speaker & wires corrode.

1 Like

Quattros are still working; but I am hoping newer technology would give me better speech discrimination and improvements in loud & echo prone situations.

I don’t have any reaction to the RICs, it’s the speaker and wiring in the RICs that corrodes and stops functioning.

Sorry, it’s my first time ever hearing that. I hope you find something that works for you.

If you’re talking just the speaker and the wiring that goes to the body of the hearing aid, that’s called the receiver. They are easily replaceable and depending on the policy of your hearing aid provider could be replaced for free while under warranty. It’s also possible that receivers have gotten better at resisting corrosion over the years (I don’t know if this is true) and if it’s been many years since you tried RICs, it might be worthwhile trying again, especially with ones like the Phonak Audeo Lumity Life that claims to be waterproof. If trying RICs doesn’t seem worth the hassle, then BTE is definitely an option, albeit with somewhat older technology.

One time l worked in a new lab that didn’t have the proper venting of acid fumes. My Starkey aids inside wires got corroded and had to be reconditioned. Are you working with chemicals? What is your environment that you’re in that might cause the corrosion of the speaker wires? Are your ear wax more acidic?

I am retired (84yrs old) and am not around corrosive chemicals. I do have a tendency to sweat a lot, and 6 yrs ago when I was only getting a couple of months of life out of RICs because of corrosion, I was doing a lot of yard work in the hot & humid south. I have since stopped doing the yard work, but still work out vigorously for 45 min. every other day and get soaked from sweat.

Meanwhile, Phonak has assured me that Lumity aids will be available in BTE models soon (a few months?). So I am planning to stay with Plan A, and wait for those to be available.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Mick

Phonak and its dealers offer no trade-in options.

This is a situation where it helps to say where you’re talking about. Most states in the US require an exchange period on newly purchased hearing aids.

I use the Phonak P90R with molds. In my case the receiver is captured inside the mold and cannot be replaced separately by the audiologist. It is a combined piece, mold and receiver. Can Phonak separate them and replace the receiver? I don’t have that data. If this is the case it would change the maintenance dynamic.

It depends on what power receiver is used. The 105dB receivers and molds are inseparable.The other receivers can be removed from the molds.