Supplements to help protect your ears and help with tinnitus

Has anyone tried Soundbites supplements to help their ears or help with tinnitus. My neighbor gave these to me after my ears were damaged by loud noise. Once she heard my hairs/cells were dead, she said it probably wouldn’t help me. She said it would help save my hearing if the damage had not been so severe. She is a doctor and her brother is an audiologist and recommend these.

1 Like

Nothing repairs or regrows cillia in the ears to restore hearing loss, no matterhow less severe. As mamals, humans don’t have the ability. It has only been achieved by genetically modifying cells in the laboratory.

Supplements aren’t regulated, not the effectiveness, nor safety, nor claims. I find it amazing that ‘doctors’ would ever push those.

5 Likes

Yep. I’d agree with user715. Decades ago when I was first told “YOU need AIDS!” at the renowned House Clinic in Los Angeles, the doc said I should take flushing niacin and B-100 supplements. He didn’t tell me that would grow cillia, but said the blood circulation should help. Other pitchmen have touted gingko, and I even took that for many years.

No matter what supplements I took, my audiogram continued to take a steady nosedive over the years - like a submarine on a slow, steady descent to the bottom of the ocean.

Flushing niacin would help clear the ears for about 5 min, but it also gave me a HOT! RED! face that took 30 min to settle down. I just couldn’t stick with it after taking it for maybe 20 yrs.

We are still twiddling thumbs, hoping and praying for that miracle in the laboratory, but until then, we can only find the best aids our money can buy and be thankful they are out there.

2 Likes

Vaguely remember the deep red colour. Oh my.

And the itchy RASH that came with it. :hot_face:

1 Like

Did you try niacynamide?

No only the flushing niacin as far as I know. Haven’t taken that in a couple decades now.

1 Like
Soundbites Active ingredients

Vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene, provitamin A); Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate); Vitamin E (in the form of dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate); Magnesium (in the form of magnesium oxide). Other ingredients: Refined soybean oil (carrier), soy lecithin (emulsifier), glycerol, mono- and di-glycerides (stabilizers)

2 Likes

On my dermatologist’s recommendation I take niacinamide to protect against skin cancer. Haven’t noticed any difference in my hearing.

1 Like

Ack, I know all these supplement makers mean the best, but honestly, I bet we’d have to take toxic doses to grow even ONE hair in our ear. Maybe it staves off a slippery slope of hearing loss, but genetics and environment are gonna be the kingpins here.

Both folks wear aids; sensorineural loss runs BIGGLY on dad’s side, short of a double ear transplant, I’m going DOWN DOWN DOWN DOWN just as my genetics dictate.

1 Like

Environment and genetics are all there is at play.

Humans do not have any ability to regrow inner ear cillia. We get a few for each frequency for life, that’s it. No amount anything, supplements or drugs that are studied and regulated can perform that miracle.

I’m sure some brands of supplement makers mean well, but given the high margins and complete lack of regulation and outrageous claims also attracts less scrupulous types.

The older population, the majority of hearing aid users, can expect varying degrees of reduced kidney and liver functions so super high doses on sale can be dangerous to take. There’s also the potential for interactions with other medications.

1 Like

Thank you!

Good to know

VERY good points raised here! As a baby born with my defect - which has continued downward - I’d overlooked that seniors lack enzymes to process even some of the simpler, basic supplements like B-12. And drug interaction is super serious given the pain meds and other Rx commonly prescribed for folks.

About your point re the HAIRS. Augh. I was born bald as billiard balls in my ears I guess. No hair there … altho with age, I’m seeing plenty of it in places I’d rather not. Like the old toy where iron shavings are re-arranged on the face with a magnet, LOL!

1 Like