Suggestions on Understanding speech in the movie theater

It has been years since I’ve been to the movies. I haven’t gone since I started wearing aids five years ago. Any suggestions on how to better understand what the actors are saying?

Theaters offer headphones and closed captioning devices if any that helps.

Type in Assistive Moviegoing in Google to see the types of devices AMC theaters offer.

Do your aids have BT and Telecoil? If so choose a movie theater that has a loop installed.
If you have BT and an iPhone activate “live listen” the sound should stream to your ears.
I personally don’t like captions, I find by the time I’ve read the captions I miss what’s happening on the screen.

1 Like

Telecoil is certainly an option. However, as mentioned in an early thread, you wouldn’t get the full sound experience that going to a theater offers.

Perhaps that’s good enough.

Also, some theater offer closed caption on the movie screen for certain showings.

Actually the only thing that works is “open caption” on the movie screen. You ever try watching a movie with CC device on your lap, or attached to your theater chair arm or hanging down from you neck? It doesn’t work. Impossible to view both screen and CC device at same time. As far as head phones go (performance wise) depends on person hearing loss and if you can actually plug sucker in.

And most movie theaters do not have T-coil service.

Thus in the Big Picture just wait until movie streams at home, or on HBO with closed caption, etc. Unfortunately movie theaters are not set up for the “hearing challenged”.

2 Likes

I once used a closed caption device that sat in the cup holder and had the display on a long stalk. So the display, while not at eye level, was kind of in my field of view. It was a Regal theater I think. Worked ok except when it came unplugged.

Exact same thing happened to me as I also had to keep re-adjusting CC device in cup holder - which doesn’t score any points if someone is sitting next to you. Like now you’re ruining the movie for two people, fiddling with a gadget that won’t stay in one place. Best to stay home, make your own popcorn and save XX amount of dollars.

3 Likes

When I get my new hearing aids, I’m going to give it a try at our small local theater. They seem to be the best bet for someone that is hearing impaired.

They offer Telecoil, wireless headphone, closed caption device and on Wednesday they do open caption for all four movies that have that capability.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. My wife and I usually wait for the DVD however, we wanted the experience of seeing this one in the theater. I highly recommend The Sound of Freedom.

Just some feedback on movie-going and assistive listening. And a request at the end if telecoil in a movie theater is really of any use if I generally hear well with my hearing aids.

In a few days, I’m going to see the movie Oppenheimer. My Omnia 962s have telecoil capability, IIRC, but I think it’s turned off since I never normally use it.

It doesn’t seem like the AMC Rivercenter 11 Theaters in San Antonio offer telecoil at all as it’s not listed at all as an Assistive Option: Assistive Moviegoing (amctheatres.com).

In fact, if I go to Loop America and look up loop locations in Texas, there are only 66 listings for all of Texas, and they’re mostly churches! (pick show 100 items from the dropdown at the top left to see the entire list on the same web page): TX : Loop America (time2loopamerica.com).

I was wondering what sort of things skew teleloop/telecoil distribution this way? Mostly older people in churches, younger people in cinemas? Another thought was the Internet says that telecoil can interfere with medical electronic devices, so maybe theaters are more worried about liability (or installation expense) than churches?

Bing ChatGPT quote in response to query; “Does telecoil interfere with pacemakers or other electronic medical devices?”

Yes, telecoil can interfere with pacemakers and other medical devices. Electromagnetic interference (EMI) can occur when a telecoil is used near a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) 1. However, the risk is generally low, unless there is a strong magnet close to the generator 1. There are reports of cardiac implantable electronic devices (CIEDs) being impacted by sources of EMI in the nonhospital environment (eg, strong magnets, cellular phones, slot machines, laptop computers, etc) 1. It is necessary to pin the neck loop away from the location of the pacemaker ensuring 150 mm or 6’’ separation between cable and pacemaker 2. The industry has solved this problem by having the radio frequencies that transmit and receive signals widely spaced apart 3. If you have any concerns about using telecoil with your pacemaker or other medical device, you should consult your doctor or healthcare provider. I hope this helps!

Since I’ve never used the telecoils on my Omnias, I’d like to ask any of you telecoil users whether it works the same as Bluetooth streaming. If the theater did happen to have a teleloop/telecoil, would I both hear the telecoil transmission and sound from my external mics, or would telecoil activation (in ReSound hearing aids) likely cut off the external mic sound? If so, I think I’ll just rely on my external mics. I went to see Avatar: The Way of the Water, and the sound and speech was great for that with just my external mics. With the movie Oppenheimer, it’s said that the music sometimes overpowers the dialog and the volume of the dialog is pretty loud (perhaps to overcome the noisyness of the IMAX 70 mm cameras), so I thought that sound direct to my ears from my telecoils might avoid reverberation problems with loud sound in a theater.

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Bing ChatGPT answer to my query about ReSound telecoil and external microphone function:

Yes, you will still be able to hear through your external hearing aid microphones if you use telecoil with ReSound Omnia hearing aids. The Resound Omnia miniRIE also provides telecoil access through the use of the ReSound Multi Mic that has a Telecoil option. This allows users to tap directly into the audio system of public venues with hearing loops and stream high-quality audio directly into both ears1. So, you can use your external hearing aid microphones and still enjoy the benefits of telecoil technology.

Not bad for an AI bot!

Update: I substituted via a fitting adjustment the Telecoil and Mic program for my Outdoor program (only allowed four basic template programs in the ReSound Smart 3D app). After doing so, the Telecoil Lo program appears in place of the Outdoor program in my Smart 3D app. There are separate controls for the telecoil sound volume and my external mics. I can adjust the volumes for each in each ear separately. In the Sound Enhancer feature, I can adjust bass, mid-tones, and treble. The only environmental processing I can adjust is noise control.

So, I should be all set if the AMC Rivercenter IMAX has a loop (I doubt it). It’s impossible to get a human being on the theater telephone number, such is the economics of the film industry these days it seems.

@jim_lewis yes I have BT and Telecoil.
I’m bimodal and when I’m in the movies or live theatre I use “live listen” on my phone very successfully.

Loops are very few and far between here in Aus.

2 Likes

I think we should be worried, this could make forums sites redundant!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried Live Listen on my iPhone. It’s easy to turn on because it appears as an option down at the lower left in the iPhone Control Center (under the Ear widget icon).

It seems to employ the same excellent microphone technology used in the iPhone Voice Memo app. In that app, the iPhone microphone does an amazing job of compensating for distance. A voice 30 feet away can sound as loud and clear as a voice right next to the iPhone microphone.

I’m not sure if that sort of listening in Live Listen will favor speech over other sounds. I have noticed that with my external mics also turned on, there is a little bit of time delay between the sound from Live Listen and my external mics. It seems like the Live Listen volume may be controlled by my physical iPhone volume buttons whereas my hearing aid microphones might be controlled by the sliders in the Ear widget display(?). Do you depend solely on Live Listen sound reproduction in a movie theater? I’m also wondering whether the sort of Voice Memo technology that evens out the loudness of sound regardless of the difference in loudness caused by distance will make the movie sound too uniform in sound loudness.

I think I’ll make a point of announcing myself to the movie staff to see if they have problems with me experimenting with various listening modes during the movie by pulling out my iPhone to change settings.

And then there’s always the danger of annoying other patrons who might not appreciate that I’m just a hearing-impaired theatergoer. About nine years ago in Florida, a retired police captain got into an argument with a man and his wife seated in front of him for the man texting on his phone during the previews of coming attractions when the ex-policeman had repeatedly asked him to stop. The man turned around and threw popcorn in the retired policeman’s face. The ex-policeman pulled out his gun, shot the popcorn thrower dead, and wounded his wife. And finally was acquitted: Curtis Reeves: Retired police captain acquitted | CNN

So besides the “Does the theater have a teleloop?,” there is “What’s the risk of annoying other patrons by fiddling with my HA settings on my iPhone during the flick!?”

How did you go with the movie? There are some extremely loud noise events inOppenheimer I am considering aids right now, and while sitting in the theatre, I was wondering how the aids would cope with the sudden BANGS…

After seeing that I certainly won’t fiddle with my phone app at the theater. :saluting_face:

1 Like

I wear occlusive ear molds. I’d say they reduce sound going directly to my eardrums by at least 10 to 15 dB. So most of what I hear is processed sound sent to my receiver. There’s an upper limit to amplification, and I think I also have a sudden loud noise squelch setting turned on. I have wondered whether some of the loud noises in theater settings are good for one’s hearing, but I think I’m reasonably protected. In my iPhone settings, I have 75 dB set as my maximum allowed streaming volume.

I haven’t seen the movie yet. When I do, I’ll update this post on how loud things like the Trinity test seemed to me.

Update: I found no sound in the movie intolerably loud. The theater bass went so low one could actually feel some of the sound in one’s body, but no sound volume was excessively loud. AMC didn’t have a teleloop - my telecoils picked up nothing - and the usher had no idea what I was talking about! Since I wear occlusive ear molds, my experience may differ from people with an open fit.

I think to understand the movie thoroughly, it probably helps to read the Pulitzer Prize-winning biography American Prometheus beforehand. It’s a very good but very long book! (and the movie, although three hours long, whizzes through a lot of history in a very short time). The movie is very faithful to the book except for a few dramatic liberties taken that really do enhance the movie as a work of story-telling and art. The way Robert Downey Jr.'s fate as Lewis Strauss was interwoven with Cillian Murphy’s as Oppenheimer was tremendously well-done. Downey gives an outstanding performance, almost scenery-chewing. Both deserve at least to be nominated for the Best Actor Academy Award. The way the movie cuts back and forth across time, coming back in the end to an earlier fateful encounter with Einstein that distills the differences between Strauss and Oppenheimer and what troubles them both was well worth the price of admission. I thought the pivotal character of David L. Hill was one of Nolan’s dramatic liberties, but looking Hill up in Wikipedia, his testimony in the movie is straight out of history (Hill and his testimony are not specifically mentioned in American Prometheus!).

AMC theaters do offer a bunch of assistive listening devices and closed captioning or narration, but none seems to be as useful as having telecoil or BT LE Audio would be. Except for a few places, the Oppenheimer dialog was very understandable (I have good hearing and speech recognition wearing my HA’s).

It’s pretty difficult to understand speech in a movie theater even for normal hearing people. A lot of loud noise.
I’d look for a subtitled movie instead

2 Likes

In addition, I mostly watch movies silent and with subtitles
One or two years ago, I watched the shining this way and I’d never scared due to not listening to soundtracks

As my hearing got worse, going to the movies got silly. Missing dialog meant losing the plot. Watching at home was a fix.

Going back with hearing aids was fantastic. Even Oppenheimer, with dialog mixed with sounds and music, I never missed a word.

1 Like