Stuck battery

Ever get a battery stuck inside your inner ear hearing aid? I have and I can’t get the thing out. I took my aid out to itch my ear and it slipped and dropped to the floor. When I put it back in I had no volume. I opened the battery door and saw that the battery had fallen out of it’s little “cradle” and is inside the hearing aid. I can’t get the thing out for the life of me and it’s driving me nuts. Any ideas?

Part of the battery door must have broken for the battery to end up inside the aid. Most battery doors are plastic and break easily. I used to keep a supply on hand when I wore CICs because I needed to replace one about every year.

Anyway, without an extra door and the small hand tools that might be required to extricate the battery, I’d take it to any audiologist or HA dispenser for assistance.

P.S. Many battery doors simply snap on and off but don’t try that unless you’re sure how yours is installed.

Get a paper-clip (with curves the same radius as your battery) and unwind it from the centre, giving you an extended u-shaped loop. Take a set of side-cut snips and cut off the short end of the U (ie the bit not attached to the rest) leaving you with a J shaped tool which terminates about the 8-o-clock position. Carefully insert the j-tip around the back of the battery and ease it forward gently (while avoiding the receiver wires).

The batteries are magnetic, which should make removal pretty easy!

I had tried the magnetic thing, but the one I was using must not have been strong enough because it wouldn’t take the battery out. It’s like the battery is just slightly wider than the opening. I ended up giving in and sending it to my audiologist today. Sucks to be without it, but I guess I’ll just have to make do with the right one while playing Rock Band 3 this week.

You sent it to the audiologist? It would seem, with the proper tool, the battery could be removed within a matter of seconds.:confused:

Not always. I have had this happen to several patients. It is easy to get out if you remove the battery door first - but most people dont know how or are not comfortable doing so. I just remove the battery door and use tweezers to remove the battery :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course I have extra battery doors unlike most patients so there’s no risk if a break one…

dr. amy

I think my comment was misunderstood. Ihate said he “sent” the aid to the audiologist, where if he “took” it to the audiologist it shouldn’t take long at all for the audi to remove the battery, and replace the door if necessary, instead of having to go without the aid. But who knows.