Stress Tests and Cochlear Implants

Now that I’ve had my implant for 2 years, everytime I hear the works radiology and MRI’s, I get nevous. I know with my 622 implant I can have an MRI up to so many tesla. I haven’t had to have one recently since I was implanted, so no experience with this.

I haven’t had a stress test since 2019, a couple of months before my SSNL event. I was scheduled to have a stress test Tuesday, but my cardiologist decided to not go forward. Is a nuclear stress test safe to do with a stress test? Has anyone done this test that has an implant? I wouldn’t take rhe processor with me. It was to be done by the radiology department at the hospital. My cardiologist didn’t know if it was okay.

There is no reason that it shouldn’t be safe. There is nothing involved in a stress test that should harm the processor or the implant. The chances of anything radioactive that is used in medicine causing damage to the processor or the implant is virtually zero.

3 Likes

I’ve had nuclear radiology tests without any issues at all. They put dye to veins and a plain X-ray afterwards. As long as it’s not a nuclear MRI it should be perfectly ok. Good luck with the stress test.

2 Likes

Short answer: yes. Longer answer: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/nuclear-stress-test/about/pac-2038231 … I’ve done these without issue, though I do not have a cochlear implant. I’ve done it just laying there and the techs using drugs to manipulate the speed of my heart and watching blood flows via a PET scan. If it’s the radiation that’s giving you pause, it is thoroughly minimal and entirely safe. (I was in the nuke regulation business for about 12 years. I am not a health physicist, but this is a pretty routine scan.)

3 Likes

I think there are several types of stress tests and many types of imaging so you first need to nail that down. I’ve had treadmill and drug-induced, along with imaging that does and does not include an MRI.

2 Likes

I have been so busy with my job which is why I have been MIA. The cardio said I didn’t need the stress test after all. She thought I was having chest pains (plural). I had one briefly when I switched sides when laying down. My blood pressure has been fine. My leg has been fine since the blockage was removed in December. Now that it is cooling down, I’ll be able to get out and walk more. Hope you are doing well.

Ended up not having the test. The cardio thpught I was having multiple chest pains, I wasn’t, so she said I didn’t need to have it.

The last time I had one was a few months before I completely lost the hearing in my right ear, so no concern. I also have an insulin pump that I have to be careful with. My last insulin pump would mess with the ECG and the staff could not get any readings. I removed it and all was fine. I ended up not having the stress test because I had one minor pain and my cardio took it as multiple pains and ordered the test. She called me and asked how I was feeling and I told her I was fine, then I proceeded to ask if she thought I was having multiple pains. I told her I felt fine, no issues, and she said I didn’t need the test.