Streaming not working Jabra/Moto g pure

Jabra Aids work on different Bluetooth to KS9 which is why.

Jabra works on LE Bluetooth. KS9 works on Classic Bluetooth.

LE Bluetooth used to only work with iPad and iPhone. They now have just started to work with some Android which are ASHA.

You may find in a few years that all Androids will be ASHA but that might not be the case.

@Jerry_NJ

You are comparing apples to oranges.

LE Bluetooth also known as (MFi) Made For iPhone Bluetooth.

Classic Bluetooth works with both Android and iPhone.

The new standard is LE Audio with Auracast, ASHA is dead in the water at the moment.

1 Like

Of course.

:slight_smile:

@tenkan

Hopefully that isn’t too long before it all comes out.

I guess ASHA will die off then?

Yeah it’s not long now, more and more device’s coming out with 5.3 Bluetooth, ASHA protocol can be a bit flaky on some phone’s, nothing like MFi which is far superior.

1 Like

Auracast starts with BT 5.2. The G Pure is BT 5.0. It looks like Jerry_NJ’s choices are

1. no streaming, no add’ cost
  2. buy Phonak at substantial add’l cost
  3. buy a Phone Clip+ for $200-$250 (I’m not sure how much Costco charges, and I’m not sure if Jabraenhance will sell it without selling a hearing aid, too)
  4. buy a phone that Jabra says is compatible with its app
1 Like

Although it’s been mentioned, I haven’t had confirmation that it’s backwards compatible as yet, hopefully it’ll pan out, but LE Audio and Auracast are two different things.
Actually even if it’s not listed as comparable there’s a lot that support BLE, so long as it’s android 10 with version 5.0 Bluetooth for ASHA.
Here’s a list for just “some” including older models that will work, plus newer, lots of others I’m sure, so as you pointed out, updating to another phone would be a good way forward.

Asus ROG 6 (Pro) and newer
Asus Zenfone 8 series and newer
Google Pixel 3 and 3 XL and newer
Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL and newer
OnePlus 8 Pro and newer
OnePlus 8T and newer
Samsung Galaxy S9 series and newer
Samsung Galaxy Note10 series and newer
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 2 and newer
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 and newer
Samsung Galaxy A21s
Samsung Galaxy A51 and newer
Samsung Galaxy A71 and newer
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 series and newer

1 Like

I know that you probably tried this, but did you check in the pairing settings for your aids on your phone to make sure the slider is set to audio streaming?

Wow, lots of help (?) Fortunately I came back looking. Forum doesn’t send me any notice of activity on my post.

As for apples and oranges, I’m disappointed the Costco fitter didn’t warn me Jabra may not stream on some Android phones, he had fitted me with KS9 4 years ago and might have guessed I assumed Bluetooth streaming was “standard” on all aids costing in the $1K+ range, I see many over the counter aids listing works with Bluetooth and costing in the few
Hundred $ price range

My phone pairs with Jabra, supporting the Android version Enhanc-Pro app. I can change limited program list and volume from phone via the Bluetooth. Sadly, Android Settings/Bluetooth, while showing pairing of two aids, doesn’t provide access to enable phone, media or contact sharing.

I have tried MusieBaby speaker with phone via Bluetooth and used it to answer call and talk listen via speaker. Thus, listening to speaker for audio.

I may return Jabra to Costco, they give 6 months for return, maybe one of their other aids will work with Android.

I do believe the Jabra give good performance when used as hearing aids when compared to past KS aids 5 and 9.

Welcome any advice on accessing programs on app Enhanc-Pro. I have seen otheres, such as music, but then other programs disappear. Now I have only “All Around” and “Front focus”.

I have the Jabra Pro 10’s and do get them to stream with an android phone, you are going to have to have a Samsung S20 or newer with Android 13. My Samsung S21 FE 5G streams the audio really well, but for phone calls, the microphone on the phone phone must be used.

Haven’t found anything definitive yet, but the Jabra Nexia will probably require at least a Samsung S23 and Bluetooth LE 5.3 to allow fully hands free calls using your HAs. The new S24’s with BT LE 5.4 will be available in Feb. For the early adopters, the new Auracast and hands free android calling will be an expensive upgrade. Eventually it will be on all new phones but Samsung is it for now.

i need HA for office calls which is bt 5.0. so shud i go with lumity or wait for this BT LE audio HA.

You do not need a Smasung S20 or newer, and some S20 models aren’t listed as compatible anyway. If you search on ‘Jabra enhance compatibility’, you’ll find this list today:

Compatible Android Devices:

• Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra*†

• Samsung Galaxy S23+*†

• Samsung Galaxy S23*†

• Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 5G*

• Samsung Galaxy S22+ 5G*

• Samsung Galaxy S22 5G*

• Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra*

• Samsung Galaxy S21 FE*

• Samsung Galaxy S21+*

• Samsung Galaxy S21*

• Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G*

• Samsung Galaxy S20+*

• Samsung Galaxy S20*

• Samsung Galaxy S10+*

• Samsung Galaxy S10*

• Samsung Galaxy S10e*

• Samsung Galaxy S9+*

• Samsung Galaxy S9*

• Samsung Galaxy S8+

• Samsung Galaxy S8

• Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

• Samsung Galaxy S7

• Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra*

• Samsung Galaxy Note 20*

• Samsung Galaxy Note 10+*

• Samsung Galaxy Note 10*

• Samsung Galaxy Note 9

• Samsung Galaxy Note 8

• Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime

• Samsung Galaxy J5

• Google Pixel 7 Pro*

• Google Pixel 7*

• Google Pixel 7a*

• Google Pixel 6 Pro*

• Google Pixel 6*

• Google Pixel 6a*

• Google Pixel 5*

• Google Pixel 5a 5G*

• Google Pixel 4 XL*

• Google Pixel 4*

• Google Pixel 4a 5G*

• Google Pixel 4a*

• Google Pixel 3XL*

• Google Pixel 3*

• Google Pixel 3a XL*

• Google Pixel 3a*

• Samsung Galaxy S20 FE*

• Samsung Galaxy A51

• OnePlus 9 Pro*

• OnePlus 9*

• OnePlus 9R*

• OnePlus 7 Pro*

• OnePlus 7T*

• Oppo Reno 10x Zoom

• Asus Zenfone 6

• Moto G7

• Xiaomi Mi 9

So what am I missing? I figured a new aid today, say my Jabra, would be ahead in technology and features, not behind the Costco KS9 from over 4 years ago.

I have severe high frequency hearing loss, nothing much over 1000 hertz tickles my brain. Yet, the old KS9, provided great hands free telephone even if smartphone is still in my pocket. I can even answer the phone by clicking on the KS9 rocket switch, and with my smartwatch I can see who is calling if they are on my directory. Yes, KS9 also handles media streaming from smartphone Moto g pure, G12.

All relates to the type of Bluetooth.

Android and hearing aids (LE Bluetooth) are far behind in connectivity compared to iPhone.

Some LE Bluetooth HAs allow hands free but only on certain phones.

You’re also comparing two different manufacturers so they won’t be the same.

Google says the Jabra Enhanced 10, if that’s what you have, says handsfree calling on iPhone BUT NOT Android.

Google can come up with a lot of info.

Yes, my comments/complaint stand. IPhone has been a leader for years, at least on electronics. They started with a cabal with AT&T on smartphones, then went public. Looks like Jabra is in with Samsung, maybe they make the most $ that way, and lose customers going forward… Me. Likewise i fault Costco for not providing wisdom on such an important subject. I may yet return aids for a refund. First, ill try a bluetooth head set with mircrphone. I can say my MusiBaby speaker can connect to tele from smartphone and provide sufficient hands free tele for longer conversations. Here the Jabra help as im then listening to sound waves from a spesker loud and clear enough to solve hearing deficiency.

HA choice should not be based on what phone you want to use, to be honest.

They provide the hearing aids but the information on what phone to get etc is all online for you to see.

If you specifically asked Costco and they didn’t tell you, then yes they may have made a mistake.

I wouldn’t put all the blame on Costco as everything is online for you to check out. Not everyone who gets hearing aids even have a cell phone anyway.

A lot of people seem to think all Bluetooth hearing aids are the same with Bluetooth, which they really are not.

It was made clear to me, after studying new Android buyers’ complaints online and consulting with Costco audi, that I would not be happy going from my KS9s to this year’s Costco offerings, so instead I had my KS9s updated with my new hearing test results, and it’s like I just bought new hearing aids! I’m so glad I did my research and listened to her!
Maybe next years offerings may be better but for now I am thrilled with their performance along with my Pixel 4a and updated myPhonak app. Not only can I talk on the phone with it in my pocket, but I can issue verbal home automation commands and get feedback from Google too.
You might consider doing that if your KS9s remain serviceable.

What you’re missing is that there are a variety of Bluetooths. None of Costco’s current aids will work with your Moto G Pure without an additional device because all of their aids are Made for iPhone/ASHA compatible. Your options have been detailed already so I won’t repeat. We have been discussing the messiness of Bluetooth on the forum for years. If I were in your shoes, I’d make sure to get the latest Jabra (model 20 I believe) and purchase a compatible phone

1 Like

If this is the 1st time you’ve experienced a misfit between hardware and software, I’d be shocked.

I AM shocked that you expect the Costco fitter - or anyone, TBH - to be an expert on all the phones on the market. What did you ask the fitter about phone compatibility? When I asked, the fitter went to the compatibility list, so I knew my phone might not be well supported from the start.

I understand feeling as if the rug was pulled out from under you. In this case, you’re lucky enough to have some cover because Costco will give you your money back if you’re within 180 days of purchase. I can’t understand why Lenovo put out a non-ASHA phone only 2 years ago, but Phonak is the only HA that will stream with your phone.

I guess you’ve got some options in addition to the ones I listed above:

1. Go back to your KS9s and keep your Pure 9 (you’d save about $1600 or $1700)
  2. Buy new Phonak with conventional BT and keep your Pure 9 (you’d save about $1600 or $1700 and spend $4500-$7,000 for the new aids).

I really hated going to the iphone. It does one thing well - work with hearing aids. Most other things it does less well than my old Samsung did, and it cost a lot more, too - I went with the cheapest iphone I could get without buying something with 2+ years of use - and Apple is so #$%^ing arrogant.

I know you want to stand your ground, but I think the least aggravation will come from buying an iphone or a Phone Clip+ for your Jabras.

Thanks, there’s no “love” lost between me and Microsoft, Apple, and Android since it was taken over by Google… Others I’ll try not to recall .

I’m.a Retired electrical engineer who spent many years designing hardware and software for telecommunications. The last 15, years was spent representing companies, the USA and UN negotiate standards that allowed interoperability, including internet, worldwide. This gives me a perspective that adherence to public standards (wireless 2G through 5G so far) work on cell/mobile phones regardless who makes the smartphone or the cell tower equipment. Seems to me the same consideration should be given to standards for BlueTooth and Internet protocols. Yes, I am well aware of the way corporations try to implement proprietary interfaces to increase profit, Apple is a case in point.

I also think Costco or any retail interface should at least warn potential customers when they offer for sale something that doesn’t work as a replacement for something they had previously purchased.

On standards, I purchased a Bluetooth headphone set JBL 510bt for $30, sale price. It works fine with my moto g pure to answer telephone and converse without having to even touch smartphone. Stream media too, as a good quality stereo phone set blows the aids away on base frequencies, something I can hear. So, why can’t Jabra meet Bluetooth standards remains a mystery and root of my dissatisfaction. I will not recommend that aid to anyone, and while I had referred at least two people to buy KSx from Costco, that too is over.
As said, businesses are in business to make money, not friends.

1 Like

There are many different types of Bluetooth.

Phonak are the only one to use Classic Bluetooth.

All others use LE Bluetooth.

Unless you get Phonak again, I think you’ll always be dissatisfied unfortunately.

KS9 was rebranded Phonak tech.