Streaming not working Jabra/Moto g pure

If this is the 1st time you’ve experienced a misfit between hardware and software, I’d be shocked.

I AM shocked that you expect the Costco fitter - or anyone, TBH - to be an expert on all the phones on the market. What did you ask the fitter about phone compatibility? When I asked, the fitter went to the compatibility list, so I knew my phone might not be well supported from the start.

I understand feeling as if the rug was pulled out from under you. In this case, you’re lucky enough to have some cover because Costco will give you your money back if you’re within 180 days of purchase. I can’t understand why Lenovo put out a non-ASHA phone only 2 years ago, but Phonak is the only HA that will stream with your phone.

I guess you’ve got some options in addition to the ones I listed above:

1. Go back to your KS9s and keep your Pure 9 (you’d save about $1600 or $1700)
  2. Buy new Phonak with conventional BT and keep your Pure 9 (you’d save about $1600 or $1700 and spend $4500-$7,000 for the new aids).

I really hated going to the iphone. It does one thing well - work with hearing aids. Most other things it does less well than my old Samsung did, and it cost a lot more, too - I went with the cheapest iphone I could get without buying something with 2+ years of use - and Apple is so #$%^ing arrogant.

I know you want to stand your ground, but I think the least aggravation will come from buying an iphone or a Phone Clip+ for your Jabras.

Thanks, there’s no “love” lost between me and Microsoft, Apple, and Android since it was taken over by Google… Others I’ll try not to recall .

I’m.a Retired electrical engineer who spent many years designing hardware and software for telecommunications. The last 15, years was spent representing companies, the USA and UN negotiate standards that allowed interoperability, including internet, worldwide. This gives me a perspective that adherence to public standards (wireless 2G through 5G so far) work on cell/mobile phones regardless who makes the smartphone or the cell tower equipment. Seems to me the same consideration should be given to standards for BlueTooth and Internet protocols. Yes, I am well aware of the way corporations try to implement proprietary interfaces to increase profit, Apple is a case in point.

I also think Costco or any retail interface should at least warn potential customers when they offer for sale something that doesn’t work as a replacement for something they had previously purchased.

On standards, I purchased a Bluetooth headphone set JBL 510bt for $30, sale price. It works fine with my moto g pure to answer telephone and converse without having to even touch smartphone. Stream media too, as a good quality stereo phone set blows the aids away on base frequencies, something I can hear. So, why can’t Jabra meet Bluetooth standards remains a mystery and root of my dissatisfaction. I will not recommend that aid to anyone, and while I had referred at least two people to buy KSx from Costco, that too is over.
As said, businesses are in business to make money, not friends.

1 Like

There are many different types of Bluetooth.

Phonak are the only one to use Classic Bluetooth.

All others use LE Bluetooth.

Unless you get Phonak again, I think you’ll always be dissatisfied unfortunately.

KS9 was rebranded Phonak tech.

Because a hearing aid does much more than stream and play sounds. Also the size limits of an aid are different. And battery life is key with aids. Most BT headphones are at least twice as large as most aids, yet their batteries last less than a 1/3 as long. To fit all of the extra processing hardware in such a small device, plus guarantee long battery life, something has to give, and its BT.
Also standard BT is open sourced while MFi is proprietary, giving apple an advantage in compatibility since its only works with Apple devices while BT has to be compatible with various mfg’s devices.
The only aid that will work with your phone BT is a Phonak and Costco no longer offers KS aids, which were Phonak copies. maybe since you like the Jabra’s it would be worth just getting a compatible phone. You can get some good deals on Ebay or even on the Samsung site for slightly older yet compatible phones. If I found an aid i was really happy with, I would gladly change my phone, even if it meant adding $30 a month to my cell bill for a new phone.

HAs’ power limitations may explain limited streaming range and cutouts, but they don’t explain compatibility problems.

Not sure if the mfg’s have the ability to make aids compatible with every device ever manufactured, specially low end older phones as in this example. Its easier and way cheaper to have the compatibility and power required in BT headphones because of their size and limited processing but in a tiny aid that uses such less power yet with much more processing, its not feasible without battery life suffering and/or increasing the body size of the aid. A processor that is small enough to fit inside of an aid uses most processing power sending the correct freqs to your receivers with little room left for BT compatibility. At least thats how i understand it from reading pasts posts on this site over the years

One needs to identify the failing component(s) before one can solve a problem. Lenovo has not met the Android Streaming for Hearing Aids standard in your phone. Jabra does conform to the ASHA standard. How do you come to hold ReSound at fault, when it’s Lenovo who fails to meet the standard?

You’re entitled to think that. IMO, if some feature is important to a buyer, it’s incumbent upon the buyer to research and ask about it. And I’m still curious about this: what did you ask the Costco fitter and what did they answer?

I have a hard time understanding how anyone who has the experience with standards that you cite didn’t pin down the phone compatibility before buying HAs, because it’s not at all unknown for some vendors to interpret a standard in one way, and another to interpret it in another. And I don’t understand why you don’t return the Jabras for a refund.

1 Like

I would agree with this statement provided it applies only to folks who use the phone exclusively for written and oral communication, and don’t care about the fact that iPhones are ridiculously expensive compared to Androids equal in performance and durability.
But, like me, many users are now heavily invested in home automation, and switching to an iPhone would also mean replacing and re-setting a lot of equipment around the house, some of which may have no Apple equivalent, as Apple has badly neglected Siri for years, and in most quarters it is considered a joke. So for me and others similarly situated, switching to iPhone is out of the question.

Very very true, putting it that way.

:slight_smile:

1 Like