Statin Drugs and Hearing Loss

I am the furthest thing from knowledgeable about Statin drugs. I just know how I felt when I took them for a very short time. It wasn’t imagined. I also developed acid reflux from Statin drugs. Never had this issue before taking them.

I can not say Statin drugs affected my hearing or tinnitus. Both have gotten much worse in the past 10 years. The Statin drugs were taken about 10 years ago but I don’t think they have anything to do with more hearing loss and tinnitus. Hard to say.

I think the problem that those with pharmacophobia and antivaxxers is that they cannot evaluate and balance risk rationally. They are always looking for a zero risk solution and don’t understand that doing nothing does not have zero risk.

On the statin example I did my risk evaluation using our health care system program and I come out as having a 30% risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years. That certainly is not a zero risk. If I continue to take statins, my risk of damaging my hearing is probably pretty close to zero. Does it make sense to ignore a 30% risk of death while giving weight to a risk that is essentially zero, and a minor inconvenience? No it does not.

There is no zero risk solution. There is only a minimum risk solution. For me that is taking statins.

2 Likes

Well said. When I learned that keeping LDL-C low (under 70) with a Statin meant plaques would shrink and be stabilized, the light went on. I’m in. It makes my risk of a heart event from plaque buildup very low.

There are other, newer drugs that do this as well, so folks with statin side effects could look into those. Maybe not as cheap and maybe it takes a little longer to get there, but still highly effective.

1 Like

Thanks for that information.
It could be that Statin drugs have changed too from 10 years ago. Or the the dosage rate?

They all basically work the same way. All the ones I know of are available as a generic so they’ve all been around quite sometime. The last I heard the standard way to deal with the muscle ache issue was to try a different statin (we used to think a water soluble vs fat soluble one might make a difference, but it didn’t) or even rechallenging with the same drug. If problem recurs, trying different drugs and then trying intermittent dosing (pill every other day, or every 3rd day for example)

1 Like

https://answersdrive.com/which-statin-has-the-least-amount-of-side-effects-2374865

Really? Is this your attempt to show disdain to folks up here who haven’t fully quaffed the pitcher of kool-aid that are statins? And when did vaccinations become part of this conversation? You continue all the prescriptions you want, I’ll look at them a bit more critically while refraining from using derogatory terms associated with that mindset.

2 Likes