Starkey Wi i110 issues

I have pair of Starkey Wi i110 RIC hearing aids that I have owned for just over three years. During that time, they have been back to Starkey numerous times for repairs, and the reason for the issue is ALWAYS “moisture”. My aids have recently started changing volume/microphones opening/closing randomly without any change in envrionment. Also, have noticed
“crackling” or “popping” sound frequently, and for no apparent reason. Audi has tried to adjust, sent back to Starkey, and they come back supposedly “completely rebuilt”, but with the same issues. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with these aids.

Yes, I too have had several issues with the Wi 1110 & also the Audibel model “Range Silver.” Every time I kept going back to my Dispenser the Audi made me feel that I was the only one that ever had these problems with both sets of Aids.

Thx to this Forum I learned that others also had moisture problems with this series too.

Interestingly, Starkey’s own literature from 2012, “Hearing Aid Quality: Improving Moisture and Wax Protection” by Kevin Marshall, MBA, states that the Starkey X series and Wi series hearing aids were immersed into one meter ( three feet ) of water for 30 minutes and showed “no evidence of moisture intrusion”, yet that is what is claimed by Starkey to be the cause of the required repairs. I certainly have not immersed mine in water at all, I simply perspire like most ordinary people. One would think that if they can withstand 30 minutes submerged with NO intrusion, they could certainly tolerate normal wear.

Not saying this is true but…

If you made hearing aids and had a design flaw, would you mea culpa or saying moisture problem? (customer related)

I have had the Audibel Platinum (aka Wi110) aids for almost 5 years. They have been soaked with both sweat and rain many times. The only failure I have had was a RIC and the receiver itself did not fail just the tube broke where the receiver is molded in. I put mine in the Dri&Store every night and frequently remove the mic covers before putting them in the dryer. I ordered a RIC from Advanced Hearing for $100.00 (audi wanted $175). Don’t know if my nightly dryer routine has saved mine or if I’m just lucky.

You are not the only person who has had these problems. I love X/Wi i110s because they are easy to convince people to buy new devices due to the common failure rates exactly as you describe.