Starkey launches Genesis AI

Ahh. OK… I see what you mean. I thought when you said BTE you were talking about Behind The Ear (BTE) i.e. Phonak only offer Behind The Ear (BTE) hearing aids.

Whereas, you meant Bluetooth - BT

Yes, the smallest form factor Phonak offer BT is with the ITC MC hearing aid - not the CIC. I understand Oticon (Own), Starkey and Resound are amongst the only aids that do offer CIC with bluetooth.

Well I got my acronyms wrong, i meant to say BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). Sorry for the confusion.

Some of the Custom Oticon Own hearing aids are too small to include a wireless radio and even the bigger Custom Oticon Own hearing aids cannot include a wireless radio if you choose to include a Telecoil for the custom build. So it’s best to look at the specific build specifications.

2022-Q3 - Own Custom IIC 10 without 2.4 GHz*
2022-Q3 - Own Custom CIC 10 without 2.4 GHz*
2022-Q3 - Own Custom ITC 312*
2022-Q3 - Own Custom ITE-HS 312*
2022-Q3 - Own Custom ITE-FS 312i*
(*) = Too small or not possible to combine 2.4 GHz and Telecoil, Choice of Telecoil = no wireless

ETA: Here’s a picture showing with or without 2.4 GHz wireless. Though, it may further confuse things because the build choice of adding a Telecoil eliminates 2.4 GHz wireless.

2 Likes

I’ll have to check those other brands again because i only found a BLE-equipped CIC model from Starkey.

No worries :grin:. It’s a crowded space.!

Edit: Yes, in answer to your other message about BLE, it’s probably likely that BLE is only supplied by Starkey at this stage as it’s a very recent technology. In fact, I don’t know whether this is just BLE ready.

I think @jim_lewis knows a lot more about this, and has a keen interest and may be able to help.

Actually, compared to many other forum members, I’m not all that knowledgeable about hearing aids and Bluetooth - and whatever I know, I’ve mostly learned from other forum members! :slightly_smiling_face:

Most hearing aids of the Big Five or Big Six, including Starkey, use Bluetooth Low Energy if for nothing else, at least for controlling the HA’s via a smartphone app. When I trialed the Phonak Lumitys, which I really liked, even though phone calls and media sound are streamed via classic Bluetooth, there was a separate right and left BLE pairing and connection for controlling the HA settings via the MyPhonak app.

Here’s a list of MFi-compatible HA’s. Made for iPhone compatible hearing devices - Apple Support. The list might not be up-to-date with the latest OEM models. Doesn’t have Starkey Genesis or ReSound Omnia on the list, although it has ReSound One - and I know firsthand that the Omnia connects to my iPhone as a MFi HA! :grinning:

From what I’ve learned on the forum, one can regard MFi transmission as essentially Apple’s proprietary BLE-like streaming protocol. So, from the list, there are clearly a lot of hearing aids that can employ MFi. And late-developing ASHA is essentially Google’s BLE-like battery-saving streaming protocol that allows many brands of hearing aids to stream directly from Android phones. So, ~everyone’s using something akin to BLE with smartphones. Except Phonak figured out a proprietary way to make classic BT somewhat more efficient, which gives it the great advantage to connect with almost any classic BT device at the cost of some HA battery runtime.

I found the Apple MFi device link on the following page, which is interesting as it offers some opinions as to what HA brands are “most compatible” with an Apple Watch. Perhaps that means the HA OEMs just designed their app to run on the Apple Watch as well as the iPhone.

An article by @AbramBaileyAuD on the main Hearing Tracker website reviews Apple MFi and Android ASHA compatibility and streaming features of hearing aids in 2023:

As Abram’s article ends up discussing, BT LE Audio, whenever it finally arrives(!), will be the only true Bluetooth LE streaming protocol and hopefully make the split MFi/ASHA world go away… I wouldn’t hold my breath, though … See the thread LE Audio and the Future of Hearing, a.k.a., Waiting for Godot…, we’ve been waiting since 2020…

3 Likes

@pvc provided an answer above as to what Oticon CIC models might offer BT transmission. Starkey launches Genesis AI - #61 by pvc

Not knowing much compared to PVC, I did a Bing ChatGPT search. It turns up Abram’s article, too, as a source of information!

I remember someone in the past, maybe it was PVC or MDB, saying new technology is often developed first for RIC HA’s because there’s lots of room to work with those devices, with a large HA body behind the ear, and it often takes a while to further miniaturize and customize new technology for a device that will fit within the ear canal, etc. So maybe it’s just too early in a product cycle for CIC devices from Starkey to have the Genesis AI technology - or maybe the size of the chip or its power demands just won’t work in a CIC device?! Genesis AI is not yet listed as a Starkey CIC possibility on their website (Bing reference #5 below).

Hello, this is Bing. I’m happy to help you find some CIC models of hearing aids that have Bluetooth, MFi, or ASHA streaming.:blush:

According to my web search¹², one of the CIC models that offers direct streaming is ReSound Quattro, which is compatible with both Android and iPhone devices. Another CIC model that streams audio is Starkey Evolv AI³, which also has rechargeable batteries.

There are also other types of hearing aids that have Bluetooth, MFi, or ASHA streaming, such as ITC, ITE, MIH, and IIC¹³⁴. You can check out their features and benefits on their websites.

What kind of hearing aid are you looking for?

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/12/2023(1) Best Bluetooth In The Ear Hearing Aids For 2020. Best Bluetooth In The Ear Hearing Aids For 2020 Accessed 3/12/2023.
(2) Made For Android Hearing Aids, The Types & The Brands. Made For Android Hearing Aids, The Types & The Brands Accessed 3/12/2023.
(3) Completely-In-The-Canal (CIC) And Invisible In-The-Canal (IIC) Hearing … Completely-In-The-Canal (CIC) And Invisible In-The-Canal (IIC) Hearing Aids: What To Know – Forbes Health Accessed 3/12/2023.
(4) Best Bluetooth Hearing Aids of 2023 for Android and iOS. Best Bluetooth Hearing Aids of 2023 for Android and iOS Accessed 3/12/2023.
(5) Completely in Canal Hearing Aids, CIC | Starkey. Completely in Canal Hearing Aids, CIC | Starkey Accessed 3/12/2023.

1 Like

They use the power hungry Bluetooth classic for compatibility and short runtime per charge.l, not BLE. They lose some of the MFi benefits of their competitors.

1 Like

The manufacturers seem to be describing their custom models simply as;

• with 2.4GHz wireless or without 2.4 GHz wireless

But that doesn’t tell the entire story. Optional build choices (Telecoil, Rechargeable battery, Volume/Program-Change-Buttons) all require extra space and may make it necessary to eliminate the wireless radio because the wireless radio also requires space.

Here’s a link to → Starkey Custom Pros/To Consider. You can click different Custom styles ITE, ITC, CIC, IIC. This may help provide extra information about these conflicting optional build choices.

Here’s a clip and a link to the new → Starkey Hearing Aid Programming Guide. Tip: You can click the image below to enlarge.

2 Likes

Has anyone placed an order for the Starkey Genesis AI? Or was part of the trial that has any first hand knowledge of the new product? Also, I am curious if anyone has any more commercial knowledge - ie, pricing, timing of delivery, etc. Thanks!

3 Likes

I made the plunge. Moving up from the Starkey Edge AI 2400 to the Genesis AI 2400 - fingers crossed based on the limited feedback and me “buying in” (gullible) on the marketing! I believe a pretty good deal from my local provider $5500 with 3 years of full office support. I understand ZipHearing pricing is $4600, with 1 year of office support.

3 Likes

All of that AI stuff is long overdue, competitors have been on if for quite some time. Personally I won’t consider any HA without LE Audio.

Also launched with the new Genesis AI HAs is the new Thrive App replacement–“My Starkey” app available for both Apple and Android in their app stores. How-to-videos and Support materials for the My Starkey app can be found here:

Note: This new app only works with the new Genesis AI HAs. I was unable t pair it with my Evolv AI HAs.

Edit Again!: I called Starkey tech support and confirmed the new My Starkey app is only for the Genesis AI HAs…

2 Likes

So additional feedback on the Genesis AI 24: I really love the battery life. I have yet to get to less than 60% on a day (longest day: 5:30am to 12:30am the next morning, which a few hours of streaming…19 hrs off the charger). I am still undecided on the sound clarity/quality as I think my audiologist is still trying to figure out the new software and he is fairly new to the craft. I can tell the processing speed is A LOT faster. Noise reduction “feels” more seemless, although I have yet to truly test these. I feel like I need to have the REM adjustments and new molds before I can truly assess overall sound performance (clarity - so far, I have been disappointed). Car rides are way better than before - road noise cut significantly and I can hear the radio pretty well.

Regarding the Bluetooth connectivity, I am disappointed. I use iOS devices, my connectivity is not as good as the Starkey Edge AI I had previously. Also, I am finding the range less than the Edge which has surprised me. I will be connected to my iPad and get a phone call. I will turn off my Bluetooth of the iPad as the “hand-off” to phone did not happen and the iPhone still would not pick up the Hearing aids. This was very frustrating and has happened twice. I hope this can be fixed with a firmware/software update. I am not sure what to think about the range, other than disappointing.

I will also share, the Edge+ is great - very effective.

I will continue to provide updates from time to time and answer any questions anyone has.

2 Likes

I used to have a 2007 Starkey profound hearing aids with the 675 battery. I had them for 12 years and it has been reconditioned twice. They no longer make their most powerful aids with the 675 battery. I am sticking with my Phonak P70-UP aids and waiting for an Oticon replacement of the Xceeds. I plan on using a pair of aids as backups.
I doubt the Genesis AI will help me if they come out with one for profound hearing loss.

But they have the Evolv AI Power Plus BTE 13 (see below).

The brand new Genesis AI platform only has RICs and Customs at this point. But I believe they will come out with a Genesis AI BTE model later. Some of the other manufacturers do the same thing. That is, release some models first and then release other models later.

I am aware of their power btes but they use the 13 size battery and doesn’t last a week. I prefer the 675 batteries.

Oh, it’s the batteries you miss. Having never worn BTE’s myself, I missed that important benefit. :wink: