Starkey/Audibel Pros/Cons?

I have a significant loss in mid-upper range, one ear only… Sound event damaged about 5 years ago. I tried a Starkey endeavor(I think) soon after with mixed results… The HA was okay but nothing special… I really didn’t have any major complaints other then feedback was a problem. I tried a couple of times to get it adjusted then sort of gave up and accepted it. In any case the HA was washed and dried a year or so ago & I’ve been without… Since I have near perfect hearing in one ear, being without the HA is an inconvenience… not a complete disability. But, there are lots of times I’d like to hear better. So I’m committed to give it another go… I have been “test driving” the new Audibel Hearstick, open aid… I find it to be a major improvement over the last HA, however it is a little limited in functionality… Much improved in feedback is almost eliminated, overall clarity seems better, but the clips are a bit more noticable, even at lower levels… I plan to try at least two other HAs before I purchase, & would like to stay with starkey because of the service I get from my local dispenser… I’d also like to make an informed and intelligent decision…

What are some other factors that I might miss? Thoughts? Comments?

PM

Starkey is one of the largest hearing aid manufacturers in the world and have a nice lineup of products.

Yet, so do many of the other major manufacturers, such as Siemens, Sonic Innovations, Phonak, GN Resound and Oticon, to mention a few. If the Starkeys you try match your needs exactly, then great. If not, why not try another brand?

I am a big fan of Audibel / Starkey. Although I now work for Audibel in the USA, I have worked for the two largest hearing aid companies in the UK. These companies were independent and so I could dispense almost any brand of aid I wanted. So I have extensive fitting experience with most major brands.

Of all the brands Starkey / Audibel is one of my favorites. They are certainly one of the largest manufacturers in the world. Also they are an American company too, if that is important to you.

There are several different versions of the Hearstic, and you need to know which one you are test driving. The original one is based on fairly old technology, and I was quite disappointed with it. The next one was based on the old Eclipse technology. This one is called the EC3. The latest one is based on the Virtue (AKA Destiny) technology, and this is in a completely different league as far as sound quality, lack of feedback, and background noise discrimination goes.

If you are not test driving the latest technology, take it back and ask for that technology. It may cost a little more, but I would never purchase a Hearstic knowing that next generation technology was now available.

http://www.starkeynfusion.com/destiny/open_solutions.html

These are the new models, they are now available through Audibel, although they have not put them on the Audibel website yet. Note that Destiny is the Starkey name for the Virtue, it’s the same product.