Stapedectomy benefits 'wearing off'

It is well known that after some (highly variable) number of years the benefits of a stapedectomy can be reduced. I had assumed that this was due to eventual mechanical failure in the middle ear; i.e. the prosthetic comes off/loosens. In a discussion with my ENT (who used to do this procedure), he contridicted my thinking by stating that most people who have loss of benefit are having the disease progress to the inner ear. In this case the conduction path is still fine and the loss is sensorineural which of corse the stapedectomey cannot fix. I find this hard to believe as I though significant progression to the inner ear was rare.

Is there anyone here who has had a stapedectomy that is no longer as effective as it once was? Has the loss been sensorineural or conducted?

I had a stapedectomy done in my Right ear in Feb 2006, according to my latest hearing test this past week my Right ear hearing has declined. It’s still “within normal range” of hearing but it is worse than my test right after my surgery so I’m wondering what will happen in the next xx years.
I have chosen not to have a stapedectomy on my left ear, for several reasons, and am choosing to go the hearing aid route…all very new to me.

I got all of my test results so I though I would post them, this is my right ear only, which I had the Stapedectomy performed on. Since my surgery the high frequencies have gotten the same as prior to surgery

Dec 7 2005 (prior to stapedectomy)
250 - 40
500 - 50
1000 - 50
2000 - 40
3000 - 35
4000 - 20
8000 - 35

March 8 2006 (3 wks after Stapedectomy)
250 - 15
500 - 15
1000 - 15
2000 - 15
3000 - 15
4000 - 20
6000 - 45
8000 - 55

July 16 2009 (3 yrs after Stapedectomy)
250 - 25
500 - 20
1000 - 10
2000 - 5
3000 - 5
4000 - 20
6000 - 35
8000 - 30

I have two friends who had it done to both ears and it lasted about four years and they now have hearing aids. I chose to just get the ha and get on with life. Ha’s working great so far.

In 1976, due to otosclerosis, I had a stapedectomey in my right ear which, along with hearing aids in both ears, served quite well until this past spring.

Presently my case is undergoing evaluation and what will come out of it I don’t know, but I’ve had 86 good years so, no complaints and thank God for computers and other electronic gizmos.

First, I've just recently stumbled into this forum while looking into hearing aids and found the information and help to be fantastic!  

I’ve had otosclerosis since I can remember and had a stapedectomy in my left ear in 1978. Prior to that I wore an aid in my right ear. That gave me the ability ‘get along’ for the next 8 years without any aid. I went back to using an aid in my right ear until 1988 when I had a stapedectomy in the right ear and have been able to again ‘get along’ without any aid until recently. I’m in a 45 day trial right now.

I see my ENT and have tests on a regular basis. The functioning parts put in with the stapedectomies are still functioning after all these years – the middle ears are not my problem. Ten years ago he put me on sodium fluoride hoping that it would prevent the progress to the inner ears. I don’t think the fluoride helped me but I’ve heard that others have benefited. My overall condition has changed very little in the past four years – maybe my age?

So, zafdor, according to the tests that I continue to have, my ongoing loss has been sensorineural.

This is just my experience – no advice for those deciding whether or not to have a stapedectomy is intended.

I have had a stapedectomy on both my ears when I was 18. I am now 44 and feel that I need hearing aids. I have seen my ENT who after all the tests said the same as yours, that it is in the inner ear and the stapes are fine, there is nothing they can do. To anyone who is needing one I would definately recommend getting one, it has certainly changed my life from being almost completely deaf to not needing hearing aids.

I had stapes replaced in one year about 16 years ago and in the other ear about 21 years ago. For a few years before that I wore a hearing aid.
Only recently have I noticed a hearing loss. I had tests after the surgeries for a while, but not in recent times. My current loss (so it seems to me) is not as great as the initial loss before surgery, at least for normal voice. I suspect there may be some difference in frequency loss. Of course, the current loss may be the result of ageing and be nerve damage. I have been very pleased with the results of the surgeries.

All of the above valuable comments assume that we are all the same and that any procedure carried out will have the same results on everybody. Fortunately we are all different - but unfortunately the only things that are certain are taxes and death!
It’s up to each individual to weigh up the pro’s and con’s and then make an informed choice. I would suggest that anyone contemplating any medical procedure asks as many questions as they can before committing themselves.
If Doctors work in a practice, what happens when they qualify?

History:
Stapedectomy left year 1989. Wore hearing aid for ~ 5years before that.
Stapedectomy right year 1994.
2012: Feb to June: significant loss of hearing, probably both ears. During June: increased hearing loss, left ear. GP exam: left ear canal “distorted,” cannot see ear drum; right ear looks OK. ENT exam scheduled.
I have been highly pleased with results of both stapdectomies over the 18-23 years.

I had stapedectomy done on my R ear year 2005 and it worked for two years. By 2007, my hearing loss started declining which lead me to wear HA, then it just worsened over the years. One AUD suggested that I am still a good candidate for surgery, but my Otologist seems to prefer that I should just wear a HA.

No more ear surgery for me, I am happy wearing my HA.