SSHL - Advice for a newbie - What is your superpower?

5 weeks ago I lost a good chunk of the hearing in my left ear and to be honest, while I’ve been outwardly cheerful, I’ve actually found this quite hard. Not being able to hear what my kids are saying, finding it hard to communicate at work.

However, I’ve always enjoyed playing with gadgets and since I picked up some Audéo Lumity L90’s on trial from Boots, I’ve found some joy pairing them with any and every Bluetooth device in the house.

Linking to my watch allows me to listen to audiobooks, take calls and get my running (ok, vague stumbling up the hill with my young son and our dog) stats on the go.

Linking to my phone gave me the ability to first ask Siri questions, not amazingly helpful as her answers are often “I’ve found this on the web” so I have to dig my phone out, but then I figure out how to hook up ChatGPT and verbal questions and answers have become a lot more helpful (if not entirely trusted).

It was linking to an Amazon echo that gave me my first nascent superpower.

The mother in law walked up the path, the camera at the front door spotted her and my hearing aid announced her presence, even though I was at the other side of the house. Daredevil and Batman would be so jealous, MiL proximity detector!

Have you discovered any superpowers since starting with hearing aids that you could share?

3 Likes

I like my Oticon Xceed 1 UP for announcing each text message that comes through so I don’t even need to get my phone out of the pocket.

It tells me the whole text but I don’t get the whole text due to my profound deafness but I can also work out if it says Dad, a friend or my brother so I know who’s text me.

(My brother has just told me, his AirPods do this as well.)

3 Likes

Thank you.

Yes, I used to use my AirPods this way but with the hearing aids in, I cannot wear them (so they will probably end up as a present for my daughter, as have my old Fringe T-shirts it seems).

Do you have any other tips/suggestions/powers you could share?

I also wear the L90s and it brings me joy to hear of another hearing aid wearer embracing the technology. Bluetooth was a total game changer for me, and it saddens me when users say they don’t need Bluetooth, because I think they just don’t realize what a difference it could make in their daily lives. For me personally, it made the difference in my being able to even talk on the phone, and I would be lost without it – and can’t wait for Aura broadcasting to become a thing. Btw, have you thought about waiting for the new Phonak Sphere? I think it should be available in September.
Meanwhile, keep posting your superpowers! My favorite thing is hands free talking.

1 Like

So today was mostly listening to an audiobook while walking the dog up the hill before heading into Reading to buy secondary school uniform with my son. I’ve just finished “Ultra Processed People” and I’m currently listening to “The stories we tell ourselves”.

And some ChatGPT via Siri “Hey Siri, start a voice conversation with ChatGPT” which opens up a voice chat with the ChatGPT app installed on my phone (iPhone).

I also used Siri (a light double tap on my right ear) to phone my mum, while walking up the hill, to asked her if she would look after the dog today while we went shopping, and again while in Reading to ask if she would like a pie from Sweenys and if so, what type. (Top tip, if anyone is in Reading, there is a small very unassuming pie shop, near St Mary’s Butts, next to the barber, just down from the police station, that has a great range of pies, but think of them in the Cut My own Throat Dibbler vein).

And yes, I’ve only just got these, my first hearing aids, from Boots, but given the expected Bluetooth improvements with the Sphere, I’ll be looking to swap them within the 90 day trial.

3 Likes

Went for my MRI on Wednesday (just to check there is nothing more serious) and I’ve discovered another superpower.

Like a carrier pigeon, I now have find my way home (or anywhere else) powers.

As I was walking from the bus stop (I’m quite a fan of the £2 standard fare, a damn sight cheaper the driving to and parking in Oxford) a voice gently whispered (ok, yelled until I set the volume correctly) to walk down this street, turn left, follow the path to the right and I made it to the hospital in plenty of time.

Thank you Apple Maps and Bluetooth.