Sports and hearing aids

I’ve recently gotten into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu classes, while it’s great fun(and a impressive work out) I’ve been struggling to figure out what I would do. I have eargear that clip onto my shirt/Gi so I can’t loose my hearing aids, But I also sweat a ton which makes me nervous about damaging my aids, I’ve started to just take my aids out completely for practice. Wondering if any other people here play sports of some sort and what they do with their aids while active.

Absolutely you need to remove them, I’ve trained for many years and say without a doubt they’ll only get in the way and ultimately will be damaged, all my sensei have been very accommodating with my hearing loss.

3 Likes

Mine are IP68 rated, and this may be more superstition than anything else, but I don’t mess with sweat.

I have worn previous hearing aids to go downhill skiing. I’ll probably only use my backup pair now that I have a backup pair.

1 Like

I tend to stick to the same brand of aid and when I get new ones, I get the old ones repaired or refurbished for as long as possible and I switch to the second set when I’m in scenarios where there is risk to the aid. I’ve stuck to the same brand so there’s less problems with accessories, audiologist, programming etc.

My current back-up is now broken beyond repair and I’m hoping a new version of my main aid will be introduced into the market soon, because I would love to make my current one the back-up.

2 Likes

If you’re worried about physical damage from blows, then remove them. If you’re concern is sweat, then get “hearing aid sweat bands”. Do a google search, they’re commonly used.

I’ve been using them for years, they are very effective. I do several activities that create a LOT of sweat, and I wouldn’t be able to wear my aids without these.

1 Like

You seem to have a mild loss so you are probably better off taking your aids off. I have a severe loss and when I took a martial arts class I had to wear mine or I wouldn’t understand anything that the instructor said.

1 Like

I am an ultra-distance triathlete (Ironman distance) - swimming is an obvious “do not wear,” but when I am on my bike, it is really not safe to have them out (even with the tremendous amount of wind noise generated), as for the run…well I sweat buckets. I have invested in a drying case and use it religiously.

1 Like

This works really well for me and sits between my head and hearing aids. I place it around my hairline where it starts. Solved all my issues and I believe works better for me then Ear Gear with sweating.

2 Likes