"Sound concussive devices?"

In the news. . . . these are reported (The Guardian) this morning to have been used by police to combat student protestors on the UCLA campus. Do they damage the ear? How could they NOT!!?
So-called “flash-bangs” emit sound up to 170dbls. (says an article in the Guardian newspaper). That’s like a rocket launch, according to one chart I’ve seen.

1 Like

Piercing sound can be excessive police force, federal court rules.

(https://www.fastcompany.com/40585221/piercing-sound-can-be-excessive-police-force-federal-court-rules)

Black Lives Matter protesters suffered hearing damage after the NYPD used a long-range acoustic device, or what some call a “sound cannon.”…

1 Like

If it protects the police and the public, by convincing the criminals to disperse, i say go for it.

3 Likes

Yes, LRAD is the term I’ve heard used most often. Unlike bruises, scratches and broken bones, most LRAD hearing damage is permanent. These devices need to be used by trained professionals an with utmost restraint. Whether any given law enforcement agency is up to that level of professionalism varies a lot from place to place.

Does HearingTracker.com mess up links to HearingHealth Matters.org ? I posted a link and I hope you can all see it.

Thanks for the link! It works fine for me.

1 Like