Sore Right Ear Canal

I received Starkey evolv ai HAs a month ago and my inside of my right ear has a sore spot mainly when inserting it. I thought it would go away but it hasn’t. I won’t be back to see my audiologist for a month. Is there anything I can do till I get back? Something maybe to do to the inside of the mold? Anything to put in the ear, oil, cream etc.
These are in the ear half shell HAs.
Thank you…

1 Like

Miracell Pro Ear for Dry, Irritate, Itching, Skin Relief Lotion, you’ll get it from Amazon, use sparingly, slightly expensive, but it’s good stuff :wink: usually clears up any soreness fairly quickly…Cheers Kev

5 Likes

Leave the aid out for a few days until the irritation has stopped. Once it’s calmed down, check you’re wearing the appropriate sized dome on that side.

If it’s just the initial insertion causing the issue, put a small amount of Aqueous cream around the edge of the dome/mould, prior to fitting the aid.

2 Likes

I suggest you also check with your audi as to whether your ear canals are different sizes or shapes?
In my case my left ear canal is the “normal” shape (as per medical diagrams showing a cross-section of ear canal anatomy) but my right ear canal is “distorted” with a sharp kink or bend in the middle. It means some dome shapes cause pain for me.
My audiologist said little to me about this; I found it out from the ear cleaning nurse I go to, and who explained to me why cleaning my right ear canal was so difficult.

2 Likes

I second Miracell ProEar. It took me a while to figure out how to get sufficient relief from it, without over-applying and risk having oil seep into the receiver opening. I apply oil to the mold according to directions (put oil on finger, rub fingers together, etc.). Then I put the mold in my ear, pull it right out again, reapply oil, and put it back in my ear.

3 Likes

C’mon guys, OP said he is using molds…

1 Like

Thanks Kev!
I’ll get some. Much appreciated

DaveL

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the excellent ideas. I’m in Alaska for a while and can’t get to the Audiologist for a month . Taking them out till the sorness subsidies is a terrific idea along with the Miracell ProEar I’ll get when I can get to a place long enough to order it. I wonder if walgreens carries it?
Thanks again for the help :+1:

1 Like

I experience the same problem and had tolerated the soreness for a few weeks before visiting my audiologist. I anticipated ordering a remade mold. After examination the audio suggested applying Neosporin for a few days leaving the mold out of the ear. That healed the sore. Since, I very lightly apply Vitamin A&D ointment at bedtime leaving the mold out overnight. By morning the ointment has been absorbed. So far the soreness has not returned but I still feel a pressure point when I insert the mold.

2 Likes

Oh wow thanks for the input. That sounds perfect. Where do you get the vitamin ointment? I will start that process today. Can I just use the good ear hearing aid by itself?

1 Like

I have irritated my canals several times in the past, usually by excessive insertion & removal or wiggling when the hearing aid was malfunctioning. I visited an otolaryngologist, who prescribed a prescription steroid drop (Ciprodex) which cleared it up quickly. I used it again about a year later under similar circumstance and it cleared up quite quickly.

1 Like

My Audi told me to use personal lubricant . It is water based and dries. It solved this problem for me which wasn’t going away on its own.

1 Like

I had received a new custom mold a few months ago. It was hurting (prior molds did not). Returned to audiologist and she was able to grind down the portion that was rubbing. I would go back to your audiologist and ask them to adjust.

That’s great, thank you for the feedback