Some questions concerning Valsalva Maneuver

When I do a Valsalva maneuver (a way of clearing your ears by closing your mouth, hold your nose with one hand and blowing so that pressure is forced to the ears) and forcibly pressurize my left inner ear, I notice that my high frequency hearing improves to a very noticable degree. I can immediately localize sounds better, and make out amazing detail in crashing waves or music. However, as soon as I swallow or the pressure equalizes on its own, the detail goes away just as fast. If I valsalva again, it comes back, only to go away the next time I swallow. The difference is night and day, consistent, and the same in both ears.

I find myself constantly popping my ears when I am making and mixing music to hear better. But as soon as I let go and the pressure goes back to normal, the detail dissapears immediately. It is pretty frustrating.

Anyone have this happen? If I had high-frequency noise related hearing damage, wouldnt this be permanent and unchanging with eardrum position? How can I get my hearing to stay at the improved state as when my eardrums are pushed out a little bit?

Given these facts above, I do Valsalva pretty regurarly (few times a day) Would it be dangerous if I do it too much? If so, what are the risks?

Thanks!

There was/is a conversation on this question over here:

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?20715-Clearing-ears-makes-me-hear-high-frequencies-amazingly-good-in-one-ear&highlight=clearing

I’ve been doing this forever without once thinking about it as a thing. Fascinating! (“Valsalva Maneuver” is pretty classy, too!) Folks over in the other thread think maybe it’s bad for you :frowning:

hahah, yeah it was me who actually started the thread, but I just recently discoved its called the 'Valsalva Maneuver I was doing so thats why I made a new one. Actually wanted to delete the other thread, but I didnt found out how to do it. I actually am not even sure if someone can help me out with this question, looking through the internet on other places gave me a feeling only people with a medical background (ENT, audiologist) can help me out with this

I think you should get an ENTs opinion.