Some Pearls of wisdom from my CI AuD…

As you know I’ve thought about going bilateral, I have still been thinking about going bilateral, that is until I read my AuD’s response. Her replies are from 25 yrs of being a CI AuD also a research AuD for Cochlear.

This post is for those of us who have congenital hearing loss in one or both ears. It’s been 7+ decades, and I’ve not heard high frequencies for.

I’ve been tossing around going bilateral for a couple of years now. So last week I sent an email to my CI “acute care” AuD.

For those of you like me who have congenital loss… I mentioned that I was very aware I would need to do some serious rehab for this ear.

CI Aud—-
The congenital loss in the left ear is definitely a concern, therefore making outcomes a lot more unpredictable. You say you realise you would need to do a lot of rehab, but sometimes that is just not enough or makes no difference. It might be out of your control. Generally people continue to prefer their first CI- and it tends to be a better outcome for most people. So if you make an assumption for example that a left CI might be half as good as the right- would that be worth it to you?

I said in the email that I still have very good bimodal hearing…

CI Aud
I think that says a lot. But I would book a formal audiology speech perception assessment to have the stats in front of us.

If you look at my audiogram you can see I still have good low frequencies.

CI AuD
If you still have good low frequencies this can make a big difference to the quality of sound.

I also have loss of balance from my first CI surgery.

CI AuD
Further loss of balance would also be a big concern. As it could be very likely to occur again.

Her honest replies have truly given me something to seriously think about, like stay bimodal as long as possible, at least until my aid is not helping. But while being bimodal and every thing streams directly to my ears all is well. Hopefully by the time my HA isn’t helping I’ll be to old to worry about going bilateral.

Her answer regarding congenital loss that a CI might not help even with serious rehab, that it could be out of my control. This explains why my surgeon was very hesitant to give me any answers. And very concerning that I might only get a 45% response…I definitely wouldn’t be happy with that.

6 Likes

Good job! Getting more information when one is struggling with a decision is a great idea. It really “pays” to seek professional guidance.

3 Likes

This statement was the important one in my opinion.

It will prove your hearing loss. It will also show a possible trend that would help you make decisions.

If you are happy that’s what matters. If you are struggling to hear that’s a different story.

2 Likes

@Raudrive her response about congenital loss and a CI not being able to help for reasons out of my control. Even with serious rehab, and I still don’t get a good result from a CI. This is a big concern for me. I’ve seen time and time again on FB where people getting a 2nd CI and not getting a good result from the CI.

My N8 has been ordered so I’ll speak to my AuD about it as well when that arrives. See what she says about it as well.

1 Like

Helpful for an experienced AuD to offer candid responses to your specific issues. Very valuable. Agree about seeing that on facebook!

Going bilateral just doesn’t have the level of viability for some of us to make it worthwhile when all factors are considered.

Did have a similar kind of conversation with my surgeon about going bilateral afrer I had the first implant done as a matter of curiosity. It was strongly discouraged, given that ear has been completely quiet for 40 years and that it would be quite difficult to work with to get a good result - if there ended up being some viable stimulation.

Then there’s the risks to the supporting systems as well, eg impacted balance, and perhaps other complications for something or limited or no benefit.

2 Likes

Good thing you brought the balance issue into the equation as well. Your balance is a very important part not only in regards to hearing, but for safety and all around health. I have some balance issues myself, but I think it comes from the vertigo I had with the sudden hearing loss in my now implanted ear. Not so much from the implantation sugery.

Last year, out of the blue, I had a vertigo episode that lasted a day. I seem to favor walking to the left and can feel my body pull me that way. During the episode, I would lose balance and fall to the left. Falling can cause other problems you don’t need. As long as your hearing aid is helping you to maintain hearing in your “good” ear, I would be thankful and maintain that as long as possible.

2 Likes

For those of us with congenital loss of long standing, considering going bilateral is a major decision. I didn’t give any thought to the fact it may not work or I might not get the desired outcome.

The loss of balance is another critical piece of info to consider. Like all recipients I was worried going into my first CI surgery about all the complications that might occur. Add in these other issues, and nope I’ll just be happy remaining bimodal until my other ear declines a lot more.

2 Likes