Solvent For Hearing Aid Immersion In?

Hello,

Have a quite old ReSound hearing aid.
Probably close to 10 years now.

Have cleaned all the filters, etc., but there appears to be
an “electrical” (not sure) problem with the button contacts.

Would like to continue with it, if possible.

Is there a “safe” solvent available on Amazon, in which I could immerse the complete
(full) aid in ? Something that would hopefully clean it up a bit re the electrical contacts, etc. ?

But not do any additional harm. Would want to simply immerse the full aid in it.

From Amazon, hopefully.

Thanks,
Bob

No guarantees that this is going to work, but isopropyl alcohol is often mentioned as an electronics safe solvent. Can also be mixed with DISTILLED water. My guess is that your hearing aids are “toast”, but this would be cheap to try.
There are hearing aid repair places but I doubt it would be worth it or even possible to repair 10 year old hearing aids (parts availability is often an issue)

1 Like

I’m with @MDB, but I would go a little further and remove the housing to get at the rocker switch, they’ll most likely be full of “gunk” wax etc. Never soak the HAs in anything.
What model of ReSound have you got?

1 Like

I had a similar problem with my old hearing aids … took it apart and it was not an electrical problem with the micro switch … but a problem with the broke plastic of the rocker that activates the micro switch.
And repairs cost was more than the aids were worth … so I invested that into a pair of used P90’s and started to learn to program them.

4 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for help.

Are you saying that it IS safe to Totally immerse in de-natured Alcohol ??

Model is: ReSound Matrix MX70-0

Thanks,
Bob

I’m not claiming that. What I researched suggested that isopropyl alcohol was ok. I’d encourage doing your own research.

1 Like

No don’t do this, just remove the housing and do a clean up around the rocker switch, you want them to have a nice click to them, doing this you’ll also be able to check if you have the same issue that @GrayGhost came across, which in most cases means it’s probably cheaper to invest in another set, maybe like ReSound Linx or similar.

1 Like