Soft sponge-like dome

I recently noticed when I placed a finger over my ear channel, with the KS9 hearing aid speaker using a tulip dome inserted, the volume distinctly increased. Here I noticed it specifically in my right ear which has profound loss, nothing heard above about 1K Hz. I talked with the Costco fitter and he gave to two sizes of sponge-like domes that fill the ear channel. This reduces ambient noise coming in around the dome and it also increases the volume from the speaker. There may be more benefits, but I can’t discern them, i.e., the smaller/sealed chamber may have better low frequency performance. Welcome any views, thoughts, explanations …

you really need ear molds that close off your ear canal

3 Likes

I am surprised Costco fit you with KS9 aids. Your hearing loss needs a size 13 battery hearing aid in my opinion. As mentioned custom earmolds too.

I would love to have sponge-like domes!

I recently purchased Starkey Livio 2400’s that had a “custom” dome and could only get 4 - 5 hours of comfortable wear from them. The Audi sent them back to Starkey to replace the mold with a flexible one, which is what I requested in the first place.

When she asked why I prefer something more flexible, I told her to put something hard (stone, marble, whatever) in her ears for a week or so and see how long she could stand it.

I won’t be getting my aids back until next week, but I wonder if the flexible silicone will be enough of an improvement. Foam, in my opinion, would be far more comfortable.

At night I use a Sennheiser TV listening device with foam pads, since wearing hearing aids with the custom domes are so uncomfortable for me by the end of the day.

Please provide updates on your progress with the sponge-like domes. This may be something I would like to pursue.

Universal Soft 3 mm Re-shapeable Memory Foam Ear Tips Earbud Earphone

I have used these for years in place of the soft plastic domes that came with my hearing aids. I get the grey ones on eBay from sellers in China…a large one in my right ear and a medium sized one in my left ear. I have no idea if they can be purchased locally.
They work perfectly for me and last about 6 months or so.

Thanks, got here checking back. for some reason I don’t get email notice of replays. Not sure why fitter didn’t suggest something more complex. The soft dome is helpful and the smaller size very comfortable.
The picture member6 sent looks similar but mine are more rounded. down side may be this type dome lets more wax pass through to speaker. With the first tried larger dome a wax block occurred in a few days.

This could work for me if I find I cannot tolerate the flexible silicone domes.

Thanks!