Slightly 'Dodgy' experience with hearing aid company

Hi… first-time poster here.

My mum and dad had a company contact them that seemed suspicious. I’ll keep the story to a minimum, just interested if this sounds odd.

I also won’t mention the company details right now, as I am trying to get a refund on the deposit still.

My mum recently made an appointment with Boots for my dad (80 years old). Coincidentally, a company called him the next day. The salesperson claimed he used to work for Boots and asked if he could come round to do a hearing test, etc.

The salesperson came round and said they have a 30-day money-back guarantee. My dad paid an £800 deposit for an unbranded £3,500 hearing aid.

They told me about this the day after. I checked the ‘agreement’ and invoice my dad signed, and in the small print, it said “15-day money-back guarantee from the date of agreement.”

This made me worried, as it was not what they were told. I thought I would check online to read reviews, etc., to make sure everything is okay.

I searched for the company name on the internet, and other than their website, there is no mention of the company at all (there is one other single post on LinkedIn). The company has a Facebook page that was created only five months ago and doesn’t have any reviews or feedback. They have a Google business listing, but there isn’t a single review.

The company website does not have any company registration details (no LTD company number, etc.). I searched for the company on https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/ but couldn’t find anything under their company name.

I then managed to find another company registered at their business address and saw that they make websites and do business development. In an article about the company, I also saw the company owner say that they now offer a ‘hearing clinic service’ from their premises by appointment.

So, they are a website development company that has a hearing aid business on the side. They sell hearing aids without giving any details of what they are selling.

It seems that they sold my dad a “Starkey Genesis 2400 Rechargeable” based on comparing images on their website. All their products seem to be Starkey. The company sells the hearing aid simply as their “Premium” model.

Anyhow. For these reasons I am going to try and get a refund:
Promsing a 30 day money back guarantee verbally, and then having 14 days money back guarantee in writing.
Not providing details of the product they are selling. - simply calling it “Premium”
Not having any company details on their invoices
Having a phone number that isnt working (ok… they have a mobile also).

Just wanted to ask everyones thoughts on this?
Is it dodgy… or are they just not being as competant as they could be?

Thanks
Steve

1 Like

Sounds very fishy to me. Avoid and pray your dad gets his money back.

1 Like

I vote “dodgy.” If it were me, in addition to trying to call the outfit to demand a refund, I’d write a dated letter to every address you see on the paperwork, signed by your dad, demanding a full refund.

There’ s a “thing” here in the states where HA outfits promise a full money refund. But the contract says they charge a per hearing aid “restocking” fee (or some word like that). I’d resist that if it come up (or even if you see it in the contract) since it contradicts what your dad was told.

Also, in the US there are statutes requiring that anything sold to a person in their home has to be accompanied by a statement that the contract can be rescinded in a certain # of days (5?). And if the contract doesn’t provide the required notice there’s hell to pay (and a refund, as I recall).

You are a wonderful son to be looking after your dad’s interests this way!

2 Likes