Size of air hole in hard custom mold

I find that covering the large air(breathing) hole in my mold, it increases the bass sounds of voice and music. Since I have different size inserts to change the size of the air hole, I can experiment to find the best size for sound and proper ventilation… I wear only one aid as the other is deaf. Comments?

Once you’ve decided on the proper sized hole, might be worthwhile checking back with audiologist/fitter to see if any adjustments should be made. From my understanding,using how your voice sounds is a good criteria.

That is cool! I didn’t know the vent hole could be made bigger AND smaller. I guess they start with the BIGGEST size hole cuz one could not drill out the plastic mold larger, I think.

I do recall that my Oticon aids from 2009 to 2014 changed in vent hole size to SMALLER - needed for that extra base and power gain in my case. But if it’s too small, one’s own voice becomes gaggingly occluded!

I have had my vents plugged for years. I can attest that the occlusion effect will go away with time, or at least you won’t sound funny to yourself after awhile.

We pick at things and pick at things. For some it is important at the time and for other it isn’t a biggy.

As Jeff points out, you can learn to live with something that is what you should have. If you look at his audiogram, you’ll see why he doesn’t see occlusion as a problem. For him it is a help in hearing to the best possible outcome.

I have double domes; I have worn molds. I do it because it provides the best possible outcome. Am I occluded? I don’t think so – not any more. It is what I need to hear.

Occlusion is really in the mind of the beholder. It starts off feeling bad and over time becomes natural. And, if you need such, you’ll adapt or you just won’t have the best possible outcome.

Yes venting holes do make a difference! My last set of moulds came with little tube inserts to put in the vent so I could change the size depending on heat or if I wanted more occlusion or less feedback whistling or just to keep Cold winter air out. I loved the concept downside was it made the brand of moulds i had unstable as the tube area and venting hole had a very thin layer between them and ripped twice during tube replacement. I’ve had other brands with no venting issues so I put it down to the brand itself…

I was always told the smaller the hole the greater the occlusion effect, the bigger the vent hole the less occlusion you will get but more likely to have feedback issues. Usually it’s best if possible to start with smallest size hole then work up to a bigger one if not suited vs biggest to smallest. Or ask for mini inserts and try each air till find which one suits you the best!

How does one get on-demand plugs for already vented earmolds or custom molds? I am curious if I can inexpensively experiment with the audio by plugging/unplugging the vents on-demand depending on the situation (e.g., weather, having a cold, loud environment, etc.)

I know that the Genie software for Oticon aids allows for vents as small as 0.2mm based on its and goes larger based on its fitting software options (I believe I’ve 0.8mm)

@gkumar my audi offered them to me for free when I had my mold impressions made as had said I usually have a vent but had issues on size affecting feedback or occlusion. Parhaps if possible call your Audi to see if they will give you some or maybe do a online search for them is my second thought.

When my earmold was made, the original air hole was very large as I was a very active person. The earmold came with 6 different sized holes “plugs” that fit into the large airhole. My new phonak Brio 2 was very sensitive to changes in the size of the air hole. My older aids did not notice any change.

Thank you. I shall inquire with my new audiologist for these plugs