Silencing the Competition: Inside the Fight Against the Hearing Aid Cartel

I think @greg.smith’s post touches on a couple of salient points that reflect what’s been going wrong with our economic mindset for a long time. The post alludes to the reality that companies’ missions are no longer customer-centric and consumer service orientated. They are investor-centric and profit-orientated.

Don’t get me wrong: I know that companies have to turn a profit. It’s when those profits end up defining the companies’ focus of activity that their raison d’être drifts from what benefits their customers in particular, and their industry, in general. It’s then that oligopolies are seen by dominant industry players (like the Big6) as meritorious because of their enhanced ability to generate profits, rather than as the incestuous and obscene subcultures that they are.

Make no mistake: the purpose of the hearing device subculture is to service the profit motives of the priestly class, rather than the performance needs of supplicants. (We - end users and HCPs, alike - are called upon to regularly, and without resistance, pay their tithes in the form of bloated prices for products whose obsolescence is choreographed by the makers, cloaked in the “marketing speak” of “technological advancements” whose real benefit to the user are described as “incremental progress”.

Many of the behaviours of the dominant force in the HA industry (the Makers) about which we complain are, in fact, those of a priesthood of closely-held companies that have no qualms about making the distributors and users of their products pay top dollar for top quality, while offering little transparency or objective information that would empower their clients to truly understand why a pair of devices is priced at $7,500 (what the Makers claim is their fair market value), as compared to the $350->$500 these same devices cost to produce. Buyers are asked, like members being initiated into some cult, to take it (largely on faith) that the [price - cost] differential is due to “Holy Mystery of the Brand X Automatic Suppressor/Optimizer”. If the individual charges and fees that drive “bundled pricing” up to stratospheric levels are legitimate, why not just be up front about it and itemize them, rather than playing a shell game with the end user?

[Even less comprehensible are the ethics that allow makers to withhold value from those who are unable to pay the premium they demand for access to their “Tier1” features. Tier1 is simply the term for “fully-functioning”. The other “Tiers” are simply marketing terms for “intentionally broken by the manufacturer, to a greater or lesser degree”. My opinion is that the basic model hearing aid should be offered as the core product. The “core product” should be capable of serving the day-to-day needs of the average customer, and should not be just the minimally functional form of the hearing aid device being taken to market. This core product should be offered at a basic price, along with “Add+” window panes, per Apple’s purchase checkout model, that clearly state what each added function does, and what it costs. It would then be easier for purchasers to comprehend how a hearing device “starting at $x” ends up costing them ($x+$1,500) at the checkout window.]

Not long ago, the world and its communication channels weren’t so highly evolved, and the economic environment was conducive to the keeping of arcane “technological secrets”, the existence of which justified manufacturers’ magical claims about the efficacy of their wares. Today, however, we live in a different world: one in which devices that, heretofore, could legitimately bear the moniker of “medical devices”, but which are today, to a greater and greater extent, being exposed for what they are - generic electronic devices - most of whose “scientific and engineering features” can be understood and manipulated by anyone who has owned a high-end sound system, a home recording studio, or a killer guitar-player’s pedal board.

So, perhaps the OTC market will benefit the 80% of those who require relatively straightforward treatment of a hearing deficit, while there will still be the 20% whose impairments are beyond the layman’s ken, and which will require an audiologist’s training to address. However, it may also be true that hearing aids, as a class of device, now share lodgings with the pantheon of consumer electronic devices, where they (arguably) belong.

The question is: whom will we empower to draw the line between the 80, and the 20?

[ADDENDUM: I apologize for the multiple edits and also for the one that, unintentionally, transplanted part of @greg.smith’s post into the middle of my text. I find the Discourse software to be quite frustrating and user-unfriendly, betimes!]

5 Likes

@SpudGunner WELL said!

3 Likes

[ADDENDUM: I apologize for the multiple edits and also for the one that, unintentionally, transplanted part of @greg.smith’s post into the middle of my text!]

I’m quoting myself in a new post, here, to try to draw back some readers I may have lost when Greg’s text showed up in the middle of mine. I apologize that it takes me so many edits to get a piece right, but I find that the Discourse text editor is very hard-to-read and finicky sometimes - nothing to do with my advancing years!

1 Like

@SpudGunner

SpudGunner I found your post really helpful.

I learned a lot from it.

Thank you
DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

@DaveL: Thank you, Dave. I try to be helpful.

1 Like

I am in the 20% that’s been referred to. Do I think aids are overpriced. Of course I do. Thank God I have insurance. At the same time that tiny little device opens a whole world to me that otherwise wouldn’t exist, at all. It’s because of that which makes the price a little easier to deal with. Even so every time I buy new aids I feel guilty thinking this money could be better spent elsewhere and I should just deal with my loss. I think everyone walks out of the building wearing new aids thinking they spent too much money

2 Likes

No better place to spend bux. Without the aids, you would cut off people and experiences that just would not be possible. I think it is a quality of life issue. If the VA didn’t give mine, I would absolutely pay for them…happily…Nothing better than hearing the soft voices of the grand children…

1 Like

Nobody disputes the benefits received from wearing aids. What is being questioned is whether those that need them are being taken advantage of

1 Like

I really don’t know the answer to
that. Probably. It is one thing that I would like about Social Medicine…I believe folks have the absolute right to be able to hear!..WTG British commonwealth!

@danhuddleston: Don’t cheer the Commonwealth too loudly. We don’t have socialized hearing or vision care in Canada, not to mention dental!

1 Like

Whoops!..My bad! I thought all the commonwealth countries had good social medical. I stand corrected…Mea maxima culpa!
Dan

3 Likes

:+1: :heart: (and the “post must be at least 30 characters…” :worried:)

I mean, I was taken for emergency surgery a few years back by ambulance, transferred between hospitals, seen by 4 paramedics, five doctors and countless nurses, kept in the hospital for 4 days, and I only had to pay $45 to supplement the first ambulence ride. So Canada is decent. But yeah, we have a ways to go on vision, hearing and dental.

3 Likes

I agree @Neville. Was not meaning to denigrate Canada (after all, I wore the uniform). But we make people poor who don’t have insurance for vision, dental, and hearing.

3 Likes

Our health plan in Canada has deteriorated. Indications are:

• many new residents in Toronto can’t get a family physician. (think how bad it is to find a family doc if you live anywhere that’s remote!)
  • nurses work horrible hours! And then along comes C19
  • there aren’t enough nurses and they’re poorly treated
  • we don’t have enough hospitals in major centres/think what it’s like to live in an Atlantic or Northern Province

Drifted a pretty good way from this forums topic.

4 Likes

At 83, I’m playing a “Penney’s binary game”. That is, since my HAs are over 6 yrs. old, I don’t know which is coming first, new, COSTLY aids, or the OTC, cheaper ones that fit my budget.

Being on a budget effects my choice.

Does anyone at all have any idea when the OTC aids will be available.
I don’t want to use ebay or Costco, but my question is: Should I keep waiting, and for how long?
(I could probably go for as long as a year without HAs, since I have moderate hearing loss and a very docile life style)

Any advice? (what I really want to do is go into CVS, pick up my medicine and shop for aids - somehow in shadows of my brain, that is a nice dream to have)

Your right ear is beyond a moderate hearing loss so I suspect you would not be happy with the OTC and the hearing would feel unbalanced. I don’t know what the return privileges will be with the OTC, you could always try once they are available but I think you would do better with traditional hearing aids.

You’ll find these suitable for your loss, basically are OTC by Bose, the Bose Sound Control Hearing Aids, a few members have used them with good results, at $850 they could be in your budget.

Use the search button from right here on hearingtracker, to help you find out more information.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/search?q=Bose%20SoundControl%E2%84%A2%20Hearing%20Aids

Thank you for your service. My Father was career Navy. Lived in Halifax a lot, and my late Sister and my Brother were born there.