Signia Compression types: Dual or Sillabic?

43 YO, BILATERAL OTOSCHLEROSIS

For Signia users/audiologists: technical question

2 years into programming (with an audiologist), still having difficulties hearing speech, chaotic and quiet ambients both -

so i have a Noahlink and software now, and my audiologist gave me data… I noticed in all of my sessions the audiologist never tried “sillabic” compression, not even in the Universal/omnidirectional program - the main i use

Signia recommends to keep “adaptive” compression in adaptive programs, fine, but what about Universal programs? What are the pro/cons of “sillabic” compression and “dual” compression?

Thanks a lot

I was wondering about that too. By default, the only program with adaptive compression off is the “Musician Setting,” where syllabic compression is used. This is the one I use most, especially in calm environments or when listening to music—it sounds very natural and detailed.

From my experience, adaptive compression can lead to distortions, though many might not notice them. It’s better suited for challenging environments, but the unfortunate side-effect is that sound quality becomes unpredictable, as the device may randomly use its “smarts” to adjust the sound for better or worse.

The Universal program is an adaptive one; it adjusts sound on the fly by deciding how to modify it, whether through beam-forming, noise reduction, or other techniques, depending on the environment [that’s why adaptive compression is better left on here, usually].

When adaptive compression is enabled, it uses the newer Primax time-response compression. When it’s off, either syllabic (default) or dual compression can be used. Dual and Syllabic types can only be changed in non-manufacturer fitting formulas like DSLv5 or NAL.