Siemens 5bx

First time HA user.

Got the 5bx’s on trial and was truely amazed at how much my hearing had deteriorated. Loved them to bits for the first few weeks.

BUT

I found the easytek unstable it would lock up and refuse to either pair with my iphone (6 with latest ios) and sometimes would also lock the HA into streaming mode even though nothing was streaming. Had to power off the HAs to get them back. The easytek requires regular resets via the little hole in the base to get it working.

A couple of weeks back the left HA stopped showing as a 5bx in the app and my programmes became messed up. on the weekend the right HA simply turned itself off after an hour of use and now requires a complete power down for a few hours in order to get another hour out of it (fresh batteries).

There is no doubt that the underlying technology is fantastic and the ability to hear in a noisy environment is amazing but the hardware/software seems so unstable.

Needless to say I am now waiting for a trial of some Starkey Halo’s to see if my millage varies.

Has anyone else had hardware issues or problems with the easytek?

Does your easyTek have the 2.0 firmware? You can use the easyTek app to view the version number. If you’re using 1.1, your audi can update it to 2.0 and this should fix the instability issues and also improve audio streaming quality. As for the app, Siemens has submitted a new version to Apple, but it hasn’t been approved yet. This should resolve the iOS 8.0-related issues.

I have had zero problems with the easytek.

— Updated —

I have had zero problems with the easytek.

Just wondering here, anybody know if this apple issue has been resolved? My HA’s won’t do any streaming audio, be it a phone call, music, or whatever: it’s almost like it thinks it’s running: I get the tones, the app thinks it’s playing, but no sound. Siemens told my audiologist and me that it was an issue with the new IOS and they were “waiting for apple to fix it”: that sort of seemed backwards to me, Apple doesn’t fix apps… Just wondering if there’s any word on when this is going to be resolved: it’s been months now…

You need to post more information. Which hearing aids are you using, which Apple device, iOS version, easyTek app version, and easyTek firmware version.

To be honest, I’m not positive EXACTLY which hearing aids I’ve got: I know they’re Pure Binax, and given the price and the conversation when we got them, I would imagine it’s one of the cheaper versions: it was a “starter set”, for lack of a better term. There’s something on the app that shows it as 5BX S on the page where it shows battery levels, so I gues that’s a good start…

Easytek version is 2.0.0, App version is 1.500.62. Firmware version is 240.0.14.0 (that’s all on the app)…

If I go to the easytek “item” on the Iphone settings however, it shows firmware 2.0.0., hardware version 1.0.0… not sure which one of the two to listen to.

Iphone 5s, IOS 8.3. If I’m not mistaken, I lost the audio when we did the easytek firmware update, (although it happened right around the same time as an IOS update). I went back to the audiologist to fix the problem, at which time Siemens told us about the IOS/app issue…

You’ve got the latest version of the app, but there’s a newer firmware available for the easyTek (version 2.1). I would suggest that you upgrade the easyTek and then re-pair the device to your hearing aids. See if that makes any difference.

Is there any way I could do that myself, or is that going to require an audiologist visit?

It’s not something you can do yourself. Your audi has to perform the upgrade.

I figured that, just a shot in the dark to save the trip… I appreciate the help, I hope that will solve it… Right now the phone is the biggest issue: it “connects” by default, then when a call comes in, I’m scrambling to turn the phone from easytek to the regular phone in time to answer it… Very frustrating.

Just unpair the easyTek from your iPhone. It’s under the Settings menu, Bluetooth, Forget This Device.

I’ve been keeping it paired just to be able to use the phone app for control of the hearing aids: just a matter of whether I enjoy that convenience more than having to deal with the trouble when the phone calls roll in…

I picked up my new Seimens 5bx yesterday and have been trying to figure out the Easytek. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. I have the apps downloaded on phone. My phone shows paired, and when my hubby calls I hear a tone in my ears, the phone rings and I push the neckpiece button once. He can hear me say hello, but I can hear nothing from him. All my volumes are turned on high, what else can I check? I’ve not even started to attempt connecting to the tv yet!!