Side by Side Hearing Aid trials? Costco vs Audiologist

Is it possible to try out 2 different brands during the same 75 day trial period?
Audiologist is setting me up with one Oticon Real for left ear only, saying right ear is normal enough.
Costco is recommending a pair of Phillips.
Can I try out both of them in sequence during the 75 day trial period?
I am wondering if it makes a difference to use one or two, as well as experience comparing the two models.

Costco, at least in the US, dies not have a trial period but has a refund period if 180 days where you can return the aids for a full refund.

1 Like

You’ll get all kinds of opinions. My take is that it is nigh impossible to compare hearing aids in any kind of objective manner as most of it depends on how they’re set up. If it were me, I’d go to Costco, get the Phillips and try them with the intention of making them work. If you’re not satisfied, return them for a full refund and try the Oticon. I have no idea how “close to normal” your right ear is but most people prefer wearing two hearing aids.

5 Likes

Also, it takes time for you to adjust to the new sounds from the hearing aids. Switching between sets would disturb that adjustment.

1 Like

One problem is that it takes a lot of time for the brain to get used to changes in hearing. A quick A-B test may reveal different, but unless one is much better than another, it’s hard to know which is more accurate. That’s even more difficult with hearing aids that depend on how well they’re adjusted to you. As prodigyplace says, it takes at least a couple of weeks to adjust to new HAs. I agree with the idea of picking one and seeing if you can make them work over a month and 2-3 visits for setting and tweaking the adjustment.

The one problem with the Philips is that the 9040s look like they will soon replace the 9030s. Brands come out with new technology every couple of years. The Reals are new; the 9040s are new; the 9030s aren’t. I know I compared the 1.5-2 year old 9030s to my 3-4 year-old 9010s. I thought the 9030s were incrementally better, but only incrementally. 2-3 years usually bring significant tech improvements, and I’d expect the '40s to be much better than the '10s.

With good insurance, there may not be much cost difference between Costco and an audiologist in private practice. In any case, if the cost difference is meaningful to you, I recommend either waiting for the 9040, or trying Costco’s Jabras (from late '22), or biting the $ bullet and trialing the Oticons.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I will pick one at a time-- which one I still haven’t decided. Will bring it up at my appointment with ENT doctor. Conflicting advice about using a single or a pair.
Paul

Thanks for the input. I agree one at a time. Costco has the cost advantage, but I also see users have complained about the Phillips inconsistent connectivity to devices, or one going out. I’m more concerned with clarity and filtering than devices at this point, but I do want them to work in tandem consistently.
Always curious to know how your introduction to HAs went…
Paul

Thanks for your advice. I am waiting to hear from Costco if they have info on the 9040s availability. I am still seeking information. My mom’s audiologist recommended a pair instead of a single, and I will ask my ENT doctor at upcoming appointment. I’m willing to pay more if the experience and dependability is worth it, but hard do know in advance. I have seen some comments questioning Phillips dependability.
Paul

My introduction to hearing aids was in 2016. My audiologist told me at the time that I was right on the edge that hearing aids might help or might not. I went to Costco and bought their KS7, which was a slight upgrade from their previous Rexton Trax 42. It helped me understand my daughter and I asked my wife to repeat herself less. Got somewhat into DIY and played around with frequency lowering settings. Still preferred TV ears for watching TV.

If you have diminished hearing in both ears, a pair is generally recommended. Perhaps @Um_bongo or @Neville can confirm as experienced hearing professionals.

Personally, my first aid was a CIC in one ear but my next set was both ears.

It depends on the loss and the underlying physical pathology.

Difficult to say without an Audiogram.

2 Likes

With a typical symmetrical bilateral hearing loss, you get more benefit from two less expensive ones than one premium. The brain likes input from two ears.

2 Likes