Shopping for my first hearing aids

I’ve finally made the decision to get fitted with hearing aids after my recent testing. I went to Costco last weekend and demo-ed the Jabra Enchance 20s over the ear. They were amazing in every way but the style. I really want my first hearing aids to be either a IIC, CIC or maybe a ITC. I would like Bluetooth and the ability to reduce background noise when needed.
The tech at Costco strongly advised me to avoid any of the in the ear type HAs due to the occlusion effect.
So my question is does it look like from my audiogrsm I could pull off the canal aids with larger vent etc?

Question are you worried about people seeing that you wear aids? I have been wearing aids for 20 years. I have worn in the ear aids and now MiniRite aids. If you are wanting connectivity go with the MiniRite BTE aids. You can get ITE aids but the ons that will give you the best connectivity will be easier to see than the MiniRite BTE aids. And even then thw connectivity will not be great with the ITE aids. And from my experience the ITE aids are typically one or two generations older than the MiniRite BTE aids.

3 Likes

It is the big part of the reason I would prefer ITEs. The other is I wear glasses and when I demo-ed the Jabras it was quite crowded on top of my ears.

I have always worn glasses, I don’t even notice the behind the ear part of my aids. The ITE aids that are large enough for Bluetooth communications is going to be more visible than behind the ear aids now days.

2 Likes

If you really want an in the ear type aid, you’re going to pay more for it and lose features. Occlusion may be a problem. Nobody is going to notice RIC hearing aids. Issues with glasses can be minimized by getting glasses with thin temples. However, if you really want a CIC or similar aid, go for it.

5 Likes

I much prefer ITE aids to behind the ear. But, definitely agree with the above posts. If you want good Bluetooth connectivity the only good ITE aids will look like you are wearing earbuds, ones behind your ears nobody notices. And, glasses become a nonissue. Plus, lots of other issues.

Also, looking at your audiogram you really need hearing aids and probably have for a while. Expect some time to adjust.

6 Likes

I appreciate all of your inputs, very helpful. I’m trying to come to grips with the fact they will be visible as I shave my head and the backs of my ears are very obvious. I’m starting to accept that Bluetooth might have to wait for the next set down the road if I want something hard to view now. I have an appointment on Thursday to learn more about the Phonak Lyric. I lose the Bluetooth and controllability etc and it’s expensive. But if I get it for a year, get use to having hearing aids and the hearing help I need- then at that time switch over to an over ear style. Thoughts?

You might be okay in a lyric, and you definitely wouldn’t be the first person to start out in a lyric and transition later to a hearing aid.

2 Likes

@JPGR51 I started out with CIC HAs as well, and although our audiograms are not the same, we both have relatively flat moderate loss in the lower frequencies. Obviously that does not mean we will have the same experience but figured I’d share. I got my first HAs almost 10 years ago, when I was in my early 40s and I was adamant that I wanted something that was in the ear, I didn’t want them to be the first thing people noticed about me. I wore them for 6 years, and I never loved them. I found them helpful in some situations, but there were a lot of situations where I actually thought they made it harder to hear - I now think this was due to occlusion, and the fact that my low frequency loss is not that bad, so I felt that I actually would hear better if they weren’t ‘blocking’ my ears. I also found them mentally draining - I could not wait to take them out at the end of the night. They were ok all day, but I would reach a certain point where I just couldn’t deal with them anymore. However I did see enough benefit that I wore them most of the time, and had intended to get CIC or ITC when I replaced them 6 years later. However, I was hoping to get one where I could at least change the volume or program with my phone even if I couldn’t stream, because I did not want to have to carry around an intermediate device or remote any longer. When I looked at the possibilities, a lot of them had antennas or were much more noticeable than my old ones. My audi convinced me to do a trial of a RIC set just to see what I thought and I could not believe the difference. I find them so much more natural sounding, and I actually feel like they are ‘aiding’ my hearing, vs blocking my ears and replacing my hearing, if that makes any sense. I put them in first thing in the morning, and have even forgotten to take them out until I’m already in bed and roll over and feel them.

I admit that its impossible to say how much of my improved experience and comfort is due to the type (CIC vs RIC) and how much is due to the specific HAs (I also switched manufacturers and had 6 years newer technology) but in my case I can’t imagine ever going back to any sort of in the ear/canal.

4 Likes

Thank you for relating your experience with CICs and RICs. With your’s and others feedback on ITE type HAs I’ve decided to go a different direction and just start out with the Lyric hearing aids. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have them inserted and I’m hopeful that they will help me. After the 1 year subscription my plan is to move into higher tech RIC hearings. My thoughts are by then I’ll be ready to wear whatever will help me hear the best I can.

The life of a hearing aid is longer than 1 or 2 years. Technology takes space, and there’s more available for it in BTE fittings than canal-type fittings. I suggest going for Bluetooth from the start. (retired audiologist)

2 Likes