Shell design, Audeo

I am a technical person with questions about the powered molded shell attached to my Audeo phonak aids.
Are the right and left powered shells identical or are they matched specifically to he respective right and left hearing aid?
What is in the shell?
there are 3 leads to each shell. What are they connected to, ex: coil, power, ground, return… etc?
I am asking because it seems my shells and L-R aids have been switched during service and they don’t seed to respond the same.

1 Like

The left and right HA are identical hardware. But each miht be programmed differently, according to your hearing loss.The receivers (speaker) need 3 pins each. Since they are balanced speaker. One of the three is probaly GND, I don’t know which one.
Just swap the reveivers and you are good.
You need a small needle to unlock the connector.
There are Youtube videos to show you how.

1 Like

Inside the shell is a ‘receiver’ basically a small speaker and there are different power options which govern the size. These are connected to the receiver outlet with a rubber receiver extender tube. The other end is wired to the receiver wire which then exits the faceplate of the shell. They don’t know they are left or right internally, the only difference would be if you needed a different speaker power in each ear.
The shells are built individually to your left and right ear. The aim is to build them as a matching pair where the faceplates sit in the same position in both ears. Eg. Size and depth.

1 Like

@Moore8
I think the OP means the HA when he describes the shell.
@Snorgun
What do you mean by shell?
What you have beind the ear (HA) or what you have in your ear (one type is called CShell)

Thank You all… Great information… and by shell I do mean Cshell
Note: I had several repairs in quick succession. In the process I ended up with 2-red BTH aids instead of 1 blue and 1 red. Also, both CShells were repaired during the same period (within a month). Yes, I am hard on them!!! Somewhere, I think the audiologist inadvertenly switched Cshells and BTH units and both BTH units ended up with red markers. The result was MyPhonak identified both units as R-Phonak units and the left unit volume, turned all the way up, was too low volume to be effective. I finally switched the BTH/Cshell combination and they work properly (as far as I can tell). I immediately marked the left unit with a blue marker!. This is what made me ask the question of matched units. Note also, my hearing response test shows both ears with approximately the same response.
Thank you again for the information…

3 Likes

I’glad we could help.
And btw, welcome to the forum!

1 Like

OK - THAT kind of mixup is not normal, and it sounds as if you literally ended up with TWO RIGHT aids. There is no way an audi would put a red pen mark on an aid. The color dots are already THERE. (Blue for LEFT aid, red for RIGHT aid).

You say the aids weren’t communicating with each other, and my guess is that’s cuz these aren’t a MATCHED PAIR. You are wearing two right shoes to use an analogy.

You need to take the aids back to your audi, have the SERIAL number examined and compared to your purchase order. Do you own two sets of aids? (I do, so that’s why I bought them in two different colors - silver and champagne - so I don’t get them mixed up).

If you don’t own two pairs of identical aids, then somehow, someone, somewhere returned two RIGHT aids to you after the repairs were done.

Let us know if you get this sorted out. How frustrating! No wonder the aids aren’t working together. They are not programmed to work together.

Finally, after any change or repair, it’s critical for the audi to SAVE the new settings on BOTH aids. Many’s a time when I had a change made but in the fracas of things, the audi forgot to SAVE the change on one or both aids.

1 Like

@1Bluejay

I never would have thought of having the audi save both repaired hearing aids.

Makes sense.

DaveL
Toronto

Yes, look over their shoulder and even ASK: Did you save the SETTINGS? Cus that’s what we want after getting all the tweaks done.

1 Like

I watch closely.

I caught the audiologist I preferred at Peel Audiology. We had changed domes. Open to Closed. I asked, did you change the setting? We had run out of time. She did it next time.

So the audiologist at Credit Valley Audiology who provided the hearing aids I have now reprogrammed my hearing aids, and asked me to find someone who could help me better than he did. I left and I did.
(The old audiologist used an audiogram which showed my hearing had improved! He said they’ll be quieter…I think he cooked the experiment. I don’t know why.)

The new practitioner at “Hearing Well Matters”–I asked what he had found wrong with my hearing aids as that old one had set them up.

• wrong domes specified. AGAIN! They are closed, not open. HA’s were set for open domes.
  • Right Paradise P90 couldn’t talk to the Left P90.

“Hearing Well Matters” gave me two reports. User Report. Pro Report. Both from Target. They told me exactly how he had set up my hearing aids! I’d never seen them before. That blew my mind. It was so helpful.

Now I’ll ask for those and a copy of my audiogram used.