severe industrial deafness hearing aid suggestions

Hi, I’m looking for suggestions for hearing aids that will suit my condition. I have severe to profound loss above 2khz but below that my hearing is manageable ( approx 30db).
I have tried some phonak p90 but I don’t feel they are working for me. I have been back to the audiologist to have them adjusted but I feel because I can’t hear 3-4khz till roughly 100db the hearing aids aren’t able to amplify to a level I can hear.
I have suggested for audiologist to look into sound recover adjustment but it has only helped marginally.
As I haven’t purchased yet I can go for a different brand or model that might be more suited to me.

I would like rechargeable and Bluetooth ability, some sort of compression or frequency shift. Lastly if there was the ability to actually make fine adjustments myself I think I would be able to tune them better.
Anyone with a similar graph able to share there experience or even professionals?

Thanks.

What trouble are you having and what are your expectations for improvement? With that hearing loss, you’re really not going to get anything back at 3 kHz+.

2 Likes

My loss is similar to yours. I have P90’s with open domes using sound recover2.

This is the first time I’ve EVER heard speech clearly.

I have zero hearing above 3.5khz. Any amount of amplification above 3.5khz just causes saturation in the lower areas where amplification is required.

Understand that what works for me might not work for you…hearing is a very personal issue.

Be sure your AuD has given you the full amplification - not a lower power setting to allow you time to adjust.

Good luck,

David

3 Likes

There are adjustments on Sound Recover.
Ask your fitter to get aggressive with this setting. You want the Sound to just start lisping then backstage setting off just a little.

Can you hear birds now? Kitchen appliance beepers?
Can you hear a smoke alarm?

With Sound Recover set right for you you should be able to hear all these things.

3 Likes

I have somewhat similar hearing loss and I’m doing pretty well with the Phonak Lumity L90. I’m getting about 17-18 hours of battery life with moderate streaming (5-6 hours). It looks like your hearing loss is certainly in their wheelhouse with P or UP receivers.

I do have a suggestion. I have a lot of dead regions. I may hear a beep at 4000 hz and at 5000hz but i don’t have that much hearing in between there. So, I have the frequency lowering really cranked down so i get to hear anything in the 3000-5000 range. I don’t think there is a lot of speech in that range but it does help me with word recognition.

Frequency lowering (called Sound Recover in Phonak) might help you.

The problem is, something is going on with Phonak. I don’t know if it’s training, new technology, or if I’m just running into new audiologists. They all seem to be afraid to adjust the hearing aids. One audiologists wanted to just move 5000-6000 down to 3000-4000. Nobody wants to move things down out of my dead regions.

The three ive seen so far are very reluctant to make changes from first fit. One had things so low they were not usable. When i finally saw the screen, she had not entered any entries beyond 80db. She said there is no usable hearing below 80db. Maybe that was true in 1980.

The hearing aids are very capable, and i have set them up myself with the settings i need. I’m just very disappointed in the state of things.

Sorry for the rant.

Also, don’t get me started on lab problems.I

1 Like

Thanks for the replies,
I guess what I’m hoping for is clearer recognition of sounds like s and th, the ability to have a conversation when there’s background noise like in the car, the ability to hear electrical warning beepers like on the stove etc.

I seem to get by resonably well because my lower frequency is still ok.
I believe from what I have read the p90 should work for my situation however if there is something else better I would consider it instead.

Neville when you say I’m not going to get anything back at 3500khz my understanding is that those sounds can be relayed in a lower frequency that I can hear through a couple of different ways. One being frequency compression and the other frequency transposition. Phonak sound recover is one version of this.

David, it’s good to hear you have success with the p90 in a similar scenario. It gives me a little confidence that they can be tuned to help in my situation and that I should keep persisting with adjustment

At the moment I cannot hear most birds, beepers or alarms depending on there pitch. The stove alarm I can just hear a wisper on the highest setting on my hearing aids however my kids can hear the sound coming from my hearing aids in my ear over the actual stove.

Don I agree with you 100% in my experience. The audiologist doesn’t seem overly confident to play with sound recover settings. However insists on telling me I should be able to hear the amplified high frequency sounds because it’s “terribly loud” however I just don’t have the ability to hear those frequencies no mater the volume. The same as you I believe it is great technology from what I understand if it can be setup correctly.