Severe high frequency hearing loss and central auditory processing disorder

After a hearing eval at TruHearing I was fitted with Signia in the canal aids. No REM was done, I didn’t know about that until finding this site. It’s been 2 years and they just don’t cut it. I’m semi retired and seeing patients twice weekly, work is OK but ANY social event with more than one person quiet or noisy environment is very difficult. I’ve booked with a HearUSA audiologist and after a lot of research on this site it looks like oticon Real or phonak audeo lumity looks like the best for me. Any feedback is appreciated!

3 Likes

My bias would be Phonak. If you have a big high frequency loss their Sound Recover 2 can drop frequencies lower and their Roger system is top notch for being able to handle speech in noise. It’s pricy though and Oticon has the potential of being compatible with generic devices, but planning on stuff showing up in the future is risky.

4 Likes

I have the Lumity 90 RL aids and like them a lot. I have a large high frequency loss, however, and the frequency lowering does not help me much in a noisy situation. Just visited a couple of great restaurants at Disney World and did a lot of nodding and smiling because I could not understand the conversation. There are some user reviews on the forum that suggest that the Oticon Intent is a leap forward in noisy situations. I am waiting for it’s sister aid, the Phillips 9050 which hopefully will be available at Costco shortly.

Thanks for the feedback. This hearing aid business is WAY more than I was expecting. I’m hoping my HEARUSA audiologist is on top of her game to give me the best recommendation.

2 Likes

Sharing your audiogram would help us help you.

Severe high frequency hearing loss, can you hear in these upper frequencies? Pending on that loss frequency lowering technology may help you.

Central auditory processing disorder is very different. Maybe be one of the forum pros could help???

If financing hearing aids is an issue Costco has great aids and they use best practices to fit them.

I don’t think of frequency lowering as being much help in noise, but as a way to hear sounds you otherwise wouldn’t. For speech in noise many of us need a remote microphone to make it feasible. Phonak’s PartnerMic is great for one on one and their Roger System is pretty decent for group conversations (but pricy as mentioned earlier)

2 Likes

@Janette_W I have not had any dealings with HEARUSA but hopefully they have some good audiologists. Just keep in mind that they are the sales outlet of WSAudiology, which makes Widex and Sigina hearing aids among others. You may find that after insurance your out of pocket costs would be less for premium aids at Costco with lifetime service and a 6 month return period. Of course, that depends on your insurance benefit at HearUsa.

1 Like

I use Phonaks for mild-moderate loss and auditory processing disorder, and I’ve been very happy with them. That said, I can’t compare them to anything except OTC aids. I’ve noticed most audis who deal with APD tend to recommend either Phonak or Oticon, though that may just be a reflection of their market share. Oticon’s open paradigm seems like the opposite of what an APD patient would want, but maybe I’m misunderstanding it.

I was in search of recommendations for an audiologist when my husband answered a sales call for horizon IX hearing aids. I agreed to their appointment at HEARUSA for next week. I then found this site and started down this complex rabbit hole of hearing aids. and through the research and feedback over the past 24 hours this sounds like it is basically Signia IX and not going to be what’s necessarily the best for me. However, if the audiologist is recommended and does proper REM fitting I will keep ghe sponges. They will order HA’s that they don’t carry according to their site.

1 Like

I’m going to call and get my hearing test from two years ago. I had one at Costco then it was repeated at TruHearing where my insurance at the time had me go. I will post it when I get it.

1 Like

@Janette_W Which is essentially or actually the same as the Rexton Reach which may will be at Costco soon.

In what way will these not be suitable for you?