Setting my equalizer to neutralize my hearing loss

I’m interested in setting the equalizers on my computer/mp3 player so that they produce more sound at the frequencies I’m impaired at, in an attempt to “neutralize” the hearing loss. (I know a hearing aid is the “right” way to do this, but I don’t wear one.) Can anyone explain how to do this properly? My equalizer ranges from -12 dB to 12 dB; I’d like to understand, for example, how many dB I should increase at 1K frequency, where my audiogram shows an impairment of 45.

Thanks!

Chris

An equalizer covers a range of frequencies. Either one, two or three octaves over the sound spectrum.

It’s not clear in your post, if you can pick out a narrow band of frequencies around 1k to increase. If you can, you should be able to hear the difference.

I have an old Sony STR-945 with three adjustable equalizer bands. I fooled around with it pretty extensively prior to being fitted with aids. I could adjust bass, mid, and treble, for frequency. I cannot remember what the range in frequency was for each band. Also, there is a level adjustment for each band of +/-10dBl. With my loss, I adjusted the bass to (if I remember correctly)250Hz, and level to -10dBl, the mid to 2.2KHz, -3dBl, and treble to 7.1KHz at +10dBl. Using headphones, fairly good Denon circumaural, I was able to listen to TV very comfortably in 2ch stereo at a much lower volume level than I could otherwise. I am sure with a little time and effort I could have tweaked further, but I got the aids and am still fooling with those. It appears that from your specs on your player that you have a range of +/-12dB or about 24 dBl total. That may not be enough to fully compensate your loss, but adjustments are a step in the right direction.

I have Phonak Audeo S IX and I find that listening in 5.1 surround, I seem to pick up some artifacts. I have boosted the center channel to try and clear up speech. So/so as yet. I am still debating as to whether I enjoy more with headphones and 2 ch. versus the aids. Of course, the headphones are a bit of inconvenience.

I have not fooled too much with music, but it is on the list. I hope I will not have to use completely different settings for TV versus music.

Orthodoc,

Have you tried the Phonak TV Link system with your Audeo’s ? It sends wireless stereo sound directly to your aids.

No I have not. Audio is getting one in for me to try, but my committment to TV and cellular phone do not warrant the extra equipment.

Thanks John. To clarify, I was just using 1k as an example. I intend to tweak every frequency individually, based on the severity of my hearing loss at that frequency. The question is, how much do I need to increase the intensity of each frequency to correctly compensate?

Could be a “suck it & see” situation. If you are trying it out now, does boosting the impaired frequencies help?

You may need to reduce other frequencies, and bring the master gain up to compensate. Doing this very slowly is best, as a sudden increase could be uncomfortable.

I don’t think anyone is going to give an exact answer, and I would try this with a speaker first. Try headphones later starting at very low volume.

If you like what you hear, hearing aids would do the job much better.