Service dog

How many deaf people require a service dog?

I donā€™t like to sleep with my aids in. Nor do I shower with them in. I suppose Iā€™m a nervous Nellie but I like having my dog let me know when someone is at the door.

1 Like

Iā€™m not still a member but it is probably worth it to rejoin. Thanks

Are you seriously diminishing someoneā€™s disability or judging the accommodations that work for them because they are not deaf enough for your liking?! Why are you being such an Audist?

1 Like

I am HOH but I am training my dog to alert me to things I canā€™t hear. My otologist said that he would write me a letter so my dog would officially be my SDiT but he asked me to give him examples of what was needed in the letter because he has never written one before. I am having issues finding examples though, most of what I find is for ESAā€™s or psychiatric service dogs. I need the letter for housing.

The fact that you program your own aids means nothing. Go see an ent or audiologist have a hearing test done and then ask for a letter. My audiologist always sends in a letter whenever I got a call for jury duty. No big deal. You have to start somewhere. Otherwise call the airlines and find out what their requirements are.

As far as how many require a service dog, I donā€™t know anyone. But I can think of situations in my past where they would have come in handy. But I have a profound loss. And Iā€™ll get in trouble if I put my wife in that caregory

We have 2 watch dogs they arenā€™t big dogs mostly lap dogs, but they tell me and my wife when someone is even close to being on our property. Sometimes I wish they would not be such barkers but other times I am so glad they are. Are they service dogs, well no in the legal term, but in what they do for us, they very much are service dogs.

2 Likes

Well there are a lot of dogs that do that but weā€™re talking about dogs for hearing impaired. Never discourage a dog from barking when someone is on your property

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t have to be TOTALLY DEAF to be disabled. In my own case, even though I have had hearing aids my hearing was sufficiently impaired so that I could not decipher what was being said in phone conversations or in voice mail messages left for me. But I could hear a robin sing. That was with my previous hearing aids which were inadequate and all I could afford. Since there is hearing aid technology that could have helped me, since I could not afford that technology should not mean that I wasnā€™t disabled. One could argue that someone with an inferior prosthetic leg or arm isnā€™t disabled because they have a prosthetic it just doesnā€™t work properly.
My degree of hearing impairment with my old hearing aids was such that I might as well have been totally deaf except that I could hear birds sing which shouldnā€™t mean Iā€™m not hearing impaired.

There are sorts of shades and nuances to your dilemna. The impression that I came away with was that you must have a certificate that the dog has been trained to aid in your disability. What your disability is should be privileged health information you shouldnā€™t have to divulge. The relevant information as I understand it is that you have a certificate from an organization that trains dogs to help a person who has a disability.

Legalese is subject to interpretation which is why murderers can be found NOT GUILTY. Note, for example, there is no jury verdict that declares someone INNOCENT, just there isnā€™t sufficient evidence to find them guilty. Get a mind-bending, word-twisting attorney and you can get away with murder. If you canā€™t afford such an attorney: tough luck. If you canā€™t afford advanced hearing aid technology shouldnā€™t mean TOUGH LUCK also. Thereā€™s the LETTER OF THE LAW and the INTENT OF A LAW. And thatā€™s what this all comes down to LEGALESE and the inherent shades of gray.

To be clear I am NOT an attorney however the majority of my working career was within the legal field, i.e. a legal assistant or in my official capacity such as deputy clerk of district court.

1 Like

If you are in America per the ADA a service dog does not require any specific certification unless given one by a specific organization who trained the dog. For airlines you may need to get a letter from your regular doctor but I am unknowing since I do not fly.

1 Like

By the VA standard I am 50% hearing disabled. I can still hear sounds and if I am able to read a personā€™s lips then a have a 50/50 chance of understanding the meaning of the conversation. And that is with my aids.

But in order to be a recognized service dog its been my understanding they have to be CERTIFIED as having been trained to help someone do what they, themselves, cannot adequately do. Thatā€™s why there are official certificates and official items of clothing such as vests can only be acquired thru a facility whose job it is to train dogs to assist humans in some capacity without which they would be impaired in some way. It need not be a physical disability. MILITARY PERSONNEL returning from service in IRAQ diagnosed as having PTSD impairment invisible to the naked eye qualified to acquire a service dog.

WELL APPARENTLY MOST OF WHAT I SAID HERE IS WAY OFF BASE. IF SO , Iā€™m happy. Not sad to be wrong wrong wrong. I SHALL INVESTIGATE ASAP

1 Like

No certification necessary for the dog. Certification that you need a service dog from your audiologist. My dog is with me while I sleep at night to alert me should something happen. Sheā€™s pretty good at it.

2 Likes

Your understanding is wrong. Read the ADA.

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the personā€™s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

1 Like

Interesting topic for discussion.

Itā€™s been in the news that even blind people are having trouble getting on planes with a service dog recently, due to new procedures intended to block fake service dogs.

I quoted directly from the ADA. You should look it up.

@marnold It would be easier and facilitate discussion if you would provide a link to the key text which you reference in the ADA?

@x475aws
While I realize this is not a site established for the purpose of political discussion, it seems relative to question why governmental authorities arenā€™t as concerned or more concerned about who is allowed to come into the U.S. Currently Individuals with no or questionable ID are allowed within our borders to move about as they choose while diminutive little 5 or 10 pound dogs are often prohibited in any number of venues. What happened to the pledge to ā€œNEVER FORGETā€ after 9/11? Instead many CHOOSE TO FORGET. I certainly havenā€™t forgotten.

1 Like