Sensorineural vs. conductive loss: hearing aid suggestions?

I’m wondering if these two types of loss–and yes, folks often have mixed loss–I’m wondering, when we read reviews and opinions of different brands, if some of the response has to do with the type of loss one has. In other words, is it possible that some brands address conductive loss better than sensorineural, or vice versa. Or anyway, if someone with predominantly sensorineural loss might have a different experience with one brand than another person with conductive loss? I really don’t know!! But I wonder, along with an audiogram, if folks posted the type of loss they have, would this be helpful in sorting things out among the community.
Again, all of this may be entirely off base. It wouldn’t be the first time for me! I like to toss spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks. If the above is off base, no problem. Let us know!

2 Likes

People with a conductive loss will generally do better with hearing aids since the cochlea is normal or near normal. The sound just has to be loud enough to reach the cochlea. Sensorineural loss involves a damaged cochlea and the amount of damage controls the amount of benefit received from hearing aids. People with a conductive loss are a considerably lower percentage of people with hearing loss.

2 Likes

I did not know that.

People with conductive hearing loss also tend to need more power and a more closed fit.

Conductive loss does come up here often enough to matter, though it may be under the guise of the specific condition e.g. otosclerosis.