Sennheiser Conversation Clear + OTC = Would have been KS11s?

Aren’t these beginning to look like what would have been the KS11s?
Has anyone found a feature comparison vis-a-vis e.g. Phonak Paradise?
If so, this could be a more plausible explanation for Sonoma/Phonak ending its relationship to Costco I would think.
I do understand they include Sonoma’s Android solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLgIB9h8oco

These were released a while back I believe, but not like the paradise platform from what u can tell.
It was an easy way into the OTC market I believe.

“*Conversation Clear Plus is not a hearing aid and not meant to treat hearing loss.”
From Sennheiser Conversation Clear Plus

WH

Their OTC are called “all-day” and “all-day-slim.”

WH

1 Like

Hearing Tracker review:
“Sennheiser All-Day Clear Hearing Aid”

I’m confused - Is the “Plus” less than the non-“Plus”?

I think you are conflating two different product lines, “conversation clear” (wireless earbuds like Apple AirPod Pro) and the All-Day Clear, an OTC hearing aid.

WH

Oh yeah I was just about to ask after reading your first reply, but isn’t there another product out there as well, it’s was released here in australia but I can’t remember it’s name now.

Sorry for the confusion. These are the ones I had in mind:

1 Like

The reviewers all seem to be referring to these as hearing aids and comparing them to Phonak’s Paradise, especially since they include Sonoma’s patented chip which makes streaming with Android work perfectly, just like it does on my KS9s.

Two issues with OTC for me.

1. Mild to moderate loss. If your loss is beyond moderate I have to think you will be under-fit.

2. No clear understanding of the fitting process. Most of the apps I’ve seen for OTCs had very crude fitting schemes. Nothing like what is available for prescription devices. (Say, 16 or 20 channels of customizable configuration of amplification and compression. Not even able to enter your audiogram numbers. Etc.). I feel like many of these are like trying to cut your toenails with an axe. May not have the best outcome.

I don’t really get the sense they have parity with lumity.

I suppose if the devices are a fit for your loss and you aren’t concerned about what knobs are available for tuning, give them a try.

WH

Ok I found it, HelloGo the Unitron flavoured version.

https://www.hellogo.com.au/au/en

A very valid criticism if it applies to this one. But that’s really the question. Is your criticism applicable to the Sennheiser All-Day Clear reviewed above? Is this reviewer’s characterization of this model as “Phonak’s OTC brother” accurate or should he have said “…Little Brother…”?

We NEED you to buy a set and tell us.

WH

This is probably the reason for the split with Cosco.
It sounds like it can be programed with Target … or something like it .
He says it is comparable to the Luminity which he uses for his hearing loss.
If you look closely you can see the lock pin for the receiver , which means to me they are Paradise…not Luminity… so probably use the same receivers.

This is the review :

1 Like

I had a set of these and returned them. Target recognizes them, but won’t talk to them. Physically, the regular (non-slim) model looks identical to Audicus. Maybe Audicus or Unitron software would work, I don’t know. The non-slim version uses standard Phonak receivers and closed domes.

There’s no way to input an audiogram, and no hearing test. During setup, you listen to seven different versions of the same audio clip with different adjustments, and pick which one sounds the “best.” Then you listed to a clip at several volume levels, and pick the one that’s most comfortable. That’s it. Once that’s done, you can adjust bass, mid, and treble. Only treble ever boosted speech, which seemed strange. This doesn’t seem like the best approach for OTC customers who may not know what frequencies they’re missing.

There are only three modes: conversation in quiet, conversation in noise, and music. IIRC, music could be manually selected, but the switch between the conversation modes was automatic, with no way to control it. The noise mode uses beamforming, but there’s no way to control that, either.

I returned them because I realized that I could get a pair of used L90s for not much more than these cost, and I thought the fine-tuning and self-programming options would be better for my needs. It was the right move for me, but these might be fine for someone less interested in doing that. Don’t expect app controls like Phonak’s, though.

2 Likes

A lot of good points here. I’ve been wearing hearing aids for about 18 years, and the last 10 years with Costco. Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with both the product and the service and maintenance from Costco.
Today, I was back there for an appointment requested by me two days ago by phone, because my left KS9 stopped working and was no longer responding to fresh batteries. I was seen promptly, the left receiver replaced and both hearing aids cleaned, sport locks re-adjusted and I left with the very satisfactory hearing I am accustomed to considering my age, and never got before switching to Costco. Frankly, I love these KS9s and want to keep them as long as possible.

I always stick with Android phones, but never appreciated the benefit of linking them until a few months ago, when Costco re-tested my hearing and reprogrammed them in accordance with the additional drop in my natural hearing (I need to update my Audiogram here), and encouraged me to give it a try. Not only have I enjoyed returning to phone conversations with the Sonoma phone solution, but it has enabled me to take advantage of my phone’s Google automation commands and feedback, without ever having to take my phone out of my pocket. In addition, I rely on my wife’s PartnerMic to enable me to hear and understand her soft-spoken voice.

So the breach between Sonoma/Phonak and Costco has got me worried, especially because of the complaints I read by Android users about the unreliability of phone connections for Android users who have purchased this year’s offerings from Costco.

When and if my KS9s become unmaintainable, or there is an impressive advance in the technology, what will be my options, if Sonoma/Phonak has an exclusive patent on their solution?

That, together with the fact that I am retired and have lots of time on my hands to read and to think and ponder, has evoked my present curiosity about possible good alternatives, if and when I need to replace these Marvel(ous) KS9s, assuming the breach with Sonoma/Phonak and Costco continues.

There have been many complaints by new Android buyers on FaceBook [Costco Hearing Aids: Kirkland Signature, Philips, Rexton, Jabra].

My take on this would be to ditch my android and get an iPhone. The dog wags the tail, not the tail the dog.

No, thank you. I’ve been a Mac owner since the first one was released in 1984, as well as an Apple shareholder and cheerleader. I am glad the iPhone and iPad are such a financial success, but I have given up trying to like or even tolerate their operating systems, and I dread it everytime my family members ask me to help them with theirs.
In my world, Android is the dog.

What is more important to you? Your hearing or your phone brand?

1 Like