Self-programming Roger?

Hi all! I currently wear Phonak Sky B UPs and I’m extremely happy with them, but I’d like to add Roger functionality to try to help with some difficult listening situations I’m in regularly these days. I don’t self-program in general, but I have limited options in terms of clinics where I am currently, and the ~$6000 quote to get a couple AS19s audio shoes, a couple Roger Xs, and an On have me wondering if I could just get parts off eBay and such and do this myself (which would also let me get the 02 version of the receivers, which would be nice to have).

Is there any programming required to add audio shoes and Roger X receivers, or any programming required in the receivers themselves? Or can I just plug everything in and go, with an extra program appearing when the shoes are connected?

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has about this!

I have the Sky V70 UP and they are RogerReady so the Roger program is automatic. Same with your hearing aids.

I just bought some Roger 19 receivers off eBay brand new yesterday. Cost me £150 for both and they are type 02 so more expensive.

I would always get the type 02 as the EasyGain can be raised within the actual receivers. Type 03 can’t have EasyGain raised.

1 Like

These are my friends Sky B90 UP with Roger 19 receivers and also pimped.

Can you see that the Roger 19 are integrated so aren’t as long?

She uses a Roger Pen with Bluetooth for phone calls. She prefers if over the ComPilot as sound is better. Roger Pen is awful as a Microphone unlike the On but works well for phone calls.

1 Like

If you buy off eBay, I would recommend downloading the Roger Upgrader Software, (free from Phonak website) to upgrade all firmware on the Roger.

You’ll need the Roger Inspiro to upgrade the firmware in the receivers with the software but Inspiro is super cheap. The Roger Inspiro will also let you increase the EasyGain within the receivers.

The Roger Touchscreen will also do the same as the Roger Inspiro but it’s more expensive.

1 Like

This sugar ocean blue color is very nice on the HA’s. Very innovative!

1 Like

She’s fab at pimping. I don’t have the confidence.

These are some of her pimps with her old Phonak Sky V90 P before her hearing dropped.

She’s sticking with her Phonak Sky B90 UP as she did not get on well with the Phonak Nadia P90 UP when she tried them for 6 weeks. She hated them.

Photos are allowed to be shared.

2 Likes

Very nice!
I saw some videos in TikTok on Tattoo that are water erasable after a few days in the arm. Hope the colorful design can be peel off from HA easily without damaging it.
I would prefer a dragon design behind the ears. Roaring sound all the way…

Mine have just arrived.

Next day delivery. Wasn’t expecting it today as it’s the Kings Coronation here in the UK. When I asked the delivery guy, he said he wasn’t meant to be working but they have a lot of parcels to deliver.

The colour is not my favourite but an audiologist who has been amazing to be since self programming, is allowing me to send them to Phonak via him for a colour change.

Still will be less than a 1/3 of the full cost of one Roger 19 receiver for both Roger 19 receivers with 2022 serial numbers.

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks! The only reason I was thinking of going with the AS19 and Roger X instead of just the integrated Roger 19 receivers is that the 19s don’t seem to show up very often since they only fit a couple models, whereas there’s always Xs around. But either way, sounds like it won’t be a problem to set this up myself.

2 Likes

I started off with the AS19 and Roger X.

Been looking for Roger 19 for a while but will always keep my AS19 and Roger X as spares.

Good luck, keep us updated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything arrived, and as expected from this thread there was no programming required, I just swapped out my battery doors for the AS19 doors/shoes, plugged the Roger Xs into them, and it’s working! I picked up a Touchscreen Mic as my primary device and a Roger Pen as a backup/second device (as I found one for quite cheap and it seemed worth having around even though it can’t form a network with the Touchscreen Mic).

The Pen works fine, but the Touchscreen Mic unfortunately seems to have an issue with its microphones. It connects no problem and if I plug a source into its 3.5mm audio jack it plays through my HAs great, but the built in microphones are so quiet I can barely tell they’re doing anything at all and after a couple minutes it pops up a message saying “There might be a problem with the microphones - If the problem persists contact Phonak support”. I’ve reached out to the eBay seller I bought it from and will see what they say.

Thanks for the advice! It’s been very easy to set up (and honestly makes me a little upset that the quote I had for buying a new system included a $1000 dispensing fee for setting things up) and seems promising so far.