Samsung S9 not ringing Phonak Marvels

I seem to be having an issue with my Samsung S9 phone ringing my Marvel aids. For whatever reason, when Bluetooth is enabled (the perfect setup for me!) the phone NEVER rings when a call comes in. Instead, I get the deep “BONG!” sound that tells me there was a missed call or that the caller left a voicemail.

Immediately, I’ll call back and then all’s good - cuz I still have Bluetooth enabled and am streaming the call to both aids. If I disable Bluetooth on my cell phone, I get calls ringing the phone immediately! I’ve tested this out several times - but only with my husband calling me from his cell phone.

If I leave Bluetooth disabled, it removes the entire benefit of Marvels being able to stream phone calls in stereo! But if I have Bluetooth enabled, I don’t get ONE SINGLE call - not even the spam calls! Everything is either a “missed call” or rolls right into voicemail.

Has anyone else out there experienced a similar issue? Is this a Samsung issue, a Bluetooth version issue, or a possible software update issue with my Marvels? I’m travelling right now so I can’t get in to see my audi about it - altho if I sent him an email, I’d probably hear something back.

Any insights as to this puzzling issue would be GREATLY appreciated!

Some quick googling around…what version of Android is your S9? I have an S7 with A8 and there’s a setting to turn off “Nearby Device Scanning”. See if it’s on. Turn it off and maybe some restarts here and there but try it out.
There are other things to look at too.
I used the following search terms:
phone won’t ring while connected to bluetooth
albeit using duckduckgo.

Hey THANKS so much for that research! You prompted me to check the make, model and Android version of my phone:
Samsung SM-G695F (Int’l version) on Android V8.1.0

Using that search line, I found a link here pertaining to Samsung 8 issues with the phone not ringing, which I’ll review later. It might turn up something useful. My icoming ring tone is turned UP, so it’s not that. The Do Not Disturb mode is not enabled, so it’s not that. Oddly enough, it appears that only when Bluetooth mode is OFF does my phone ring - as simple as that! More research is needed to troubleshoot this. MUCH obliged for your setting me on the path! :slight_smile:

Further to my post above, a link here talks about issues related to S9 not ringing when calls come in. I don’t want to do a “factory reset” but I DID find that my Do Not Disturb was set to ON (hubs tinkers with my phone daily, doing software updates and who-knows-what-all).

I’m hoping this explains things … but it sounds too simple to be true. :slightly_frowning_face:

Often it does just take a restart. Or um…is it plugged in? :slight_smile: Stuff like that.
DND doesn’t explain that your phone rang when not connected to bluetooth unless there’s a DND setting in bluetooth itself.

Yes, I’m not sure I’ve sufficiently trouble-shooted the issue of my phone not ringing consistently. Initially, I thought it happened to just folks NOT in my contact list on the Samsung. But that was proved wrong when my husband was unable to get ahold of me the other night. At that time, the DND could have been enabled, but like I say, he’s always tinkering with my phone to install system updates - like DAILY! Drives me crazy, cuz every time anyone logs into my phone, it goes into streaming mode - so my aids go DEAD thinking I’m streaming a call. The only way to prevent that is take the phone out of Bluetooth … which is like a SURE THING to make someone call me right away, and then the call isn’t in streaming mode. It isn’t possible to quickly swipe the control panel and enable Bluetooth mid-call.

A conundrum I can live with for now.

I would dig into the notifications while in bluetooth and the notifications in bluetooth itself.
I don’t think it’s the HA’s of course. So just searching for phone out bluetooth for like cars and headphones/buds should find things to try.
A ringer is a form of notification :slight_smile:

1 Like

^^^ Yes! I definitely think you’re on to something here. I wondered if it could also be the case that if I’m in a zone where there’s no T-Mobile and someone calls my cell, that could automatically send their call into voicemail.

T-Mobile is getting better, but living and traveling as I do to places off the radar, I’ve found the service is definitely SPOTTY.

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated!