Ruptured Eardrum from Trauma

Hello Everyone:

I got sucker punched on my right ear. I went to the doctor and she looked at my eardrum and said that it is pretty badly ruptured. I have never had any problems with ear infections in the past, and it has been 8 days since the incident… my hearing is still about 30% normal. I am just curious as to the general healing pattern that I could expect…

I am seeing an ENT 3 weeks after the incident and will get professional help, obviously… but i just wanted to know:

1. If I have never had issues with my ears before, what are the chances that a badly ruptured ear drum will heal itself in due time?

2. How long can I expect to be back to relatively normal hearing?

3. How do I know if there is cochella, ossicle, or neve damage? Would I even be able to hear anything? Currently, when I hold a phone up to my bad ear, I can hear the dial tone still… it is just muffled and quiet.

4. I have not had an ear infection so far… will this help my ear heal?

5. Any advice? Any anecdotes saying this will get better? I am terrified that my hearing will never fully return and that I will have this the rest of my life. I was sucekr punched! So unreal… there was no bleeding or bruising around my face, but my ear drum is badly ruptured.

I am a singer in a band… this is hands down the worst experience of all time for me. I just pray and hope to god that it will heal itself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Tim

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=12059&highlight=sucker

Find a good ent Dr. and follow his directions. The Dr. Will deterime if you need surgery to repair the damage. In my case, I had my eardrum replaced… Tympanoplasty. After two months post surgery I have about 80% of my hearing back.

Nothing is 100%, but good doctors using good techniques worked for me.

Good luck, keeps us informed on your progress.

Doctors would be the best person to clarify all your doubts. Till that time, make sure you are not exposed to loud sound unless you have your treatment done.