Roger On - What worked for me

Hey all

Hope you’re well. I’ve been using the Roger On for over a year and generally it’s been pretty good after the audi made some adjustments to lower the amount of sound my hearing aid mics were picking (in Target this was the “mic attenuation” setting).

However, despite all this, I found I was having to mess about with the MyRogerMic app a lot, often adjusting the sliders or having to put the device into pointing mode when in restaurant settings etc. I used to find that the RogerOn would just pickup too many surrounding voices and it impacted speech comprehension of the people I actually wanted to hear

When i complained about this to the audi, she suggested we switch the microphones into “Dual”
Mode - previously it was in standard.

I can’t tell you how much difference this has made for me! I’m now finding that I don’t need to make many adjustments as things “just work”.

IMG_2969

Thought I’d post in case this helped anyone else!

Ash

3 Likes

Thanks for that Ash.

There is another setting under Fine Tuning for the Roger - Noise Manager. The default is 8 - Weak. Did your audiologist adjust that at all?

I think mine is set to Dual automatically?

I’ll have to double check.

Not that I’m aware of but will ask. It might have been tweaked in a prior fitting session for all I know…

No idea. All I know is that with it now on Dual I don’t have to listen to every Tom, Dick and Harry in a 1 metre radius!

1 Like

OK. Thank you. I have the Roger and I had already set mine to Dual. I still hear some background noise and wondered if the Noise setting was useful.

@1Bluejay might be interested in this?

Just found out that mine was not wet to Dual. I thought it was.

:slight_smile:

Weird, the Dual seems a lot more quiet then Standard for me, anyway. :slight_smile:

You might want to change the mic attenuation settings. Mine are on the quietest possible settings, if it went a notch lower then I wouldn’t be able to hear my own voice

Ahh…Interesting. Thank you. Mine are currently at 0DB which I assume is in balance. The App already allows the ambient balance through the slider to be switched to the Roger (extreme right hand side) so I’m guessing that would further cut out the hearing aid mics.

HEY THANKS for thinking about me! Sure DOES get my interest. :slight_smile:

So - coming in here clueless as a pipe-smokin’ nun … but what mics are y’all changing?

1. Are you talking about using MyPhonak app to move the mic setting of your aids more into balance?
  2. Or are you adjusting Roger ON mic setting in MyPhonak app?
  3. Or do I need to get in to my audi to have her adjust my Phonak aids, setting something to Dual?
  4. Or do I need to take in the Roger ON iN stick to have her do this?

I don’t have myPhonak app on my phone.

It seems that with the “Dual” setting the way it’s described above, it mimics “Speech in LOUD Noise” on my aids, and ironically, that is what I’ve been swapping into if my Roger On iN stick simply picks up TOO much noise in a restaurant.

Would greatly appreciate a tad of clarification from you wizards! Cuz I’m picking up Tom, Dick, Harry, Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice when I really want to hear JIM across the table from me.

On to a related topic of “what worked for me” - last night, I placed the Roger ON iN stick in the living room where we have a pair of awesome speakers. I like to cook with music on, but find the exhaust fan in the kitchen completely drowns out the music.

Ah, it wasn’t perfect - sounded kind of like a PA system, but at least I was able to pick up the music while cooking, hear hubs talking in the kitchen with me, and when I went to the laundry room to attend to that, my hubs told me “Timer’s gone off - risotto is DONE!” by just speaking right into the Roger stick, LOL!

I thought that was pretty cool to be able to stream music in a completely different part of the house, but be in perfect touch with my husband, who didn’t have to YELL OUT for me. :slight_smile: