Roger On vs Roger Select

Today my audiologist told me that, according to him, Roger Select is better that Roger On.

What’s your opinion?

Get a new audiologist

2 Likes

It depends on your definition of “better.” If you’re only going to have one thing, I’d go with the On, because it does everything the Select does and more. But it really depends on how you plan to use it. The On’s shape makes it less unwieldy as a collar mic IMHO. It also functions pretty well as a pointer, which the Select does not do. Both will stream from a tv or tablet without killing the batteries in your aids like bluetooth will, but the On has a newer USB-C port that makes it easier to find the right cables. But if you don’t plan to do much of any of that, then it doesn’t matter.

I recently bought a Select despite having and loving the On for one reason: with the Select, I can turn off sound from certain directions just by tapping the device. To do the same thing with the On, I have to worry about whether it’s connected to my phone via bluetooth, then whether it’s connected to the app, then open the app and play with the directional controls that way. At a minimum, that’s several extra seconds during which I’m probably missing things I want to hear.

My only hesitation here is that the lights on the Select make it obvious what you’re trying to listen to and what (or whom) you’re trying to block out. This is fine in small-group social settings, but in a larger groups and/or professional settings, I’m a bit worried about causing offense by very overtly and purposely not listening to someone seated near me. The On is much more discreet in that regard. I’m probably overthinking it, though.

That said, I haven’t gotten the Select working yet, so I can’t compare the sound quality. The battery was DOA and the replacement is on a literal slowboat from China. To me, the convenience of using a directional table mic with less lag time and mental effort was worth buying a DIY project for less than $100. I don’t think it would have been worth buying a new or “like new” one for $500+.

3 Likes

image interesting

I’ve got the Pen, Select and On and like all 3 for different reasons, but I’d take the On any day if I could only have 1 device. As CombatWombat mentioned, the Select is great for quickly tapping the physical device for the direction you want to steer your hearing, but that’s only helpful if you’re right next to the device and don’t mind being seen making the adjustments.

I often use my remote mic in larger meeting rooms and like to place the mic up at the front of the room and the ability to control the mic direction from my phone has been awesome! I love being able to have it turned on facing the audience so I can better hear their questions, and I can turn on the direction towards the presenter if they are being too quiet. No way I want to go up to the front of the room and make those adjustments during a meeting.

The On is also better if you’re just holding it while sitting in an audience compared to the select, but the Pen is my favorite for that situation.

My Select is now just a dedicated TV Connector which is nice since we’re restricted to only 2 TV Connectors. RANT ON: Who only has 2 TV’s or devices that play audio that you want to hear? RANT OFF

Thank you all!

Yeah, I had already read here in the forum how On is better than Select, so I got surprised when my audi said it was the other way round, and I wanted to double check with you.

1 Like

Every time i use the Roger On, the app is up and phone on the table. It is actually easier than pressing the buttons on the Select because i can put the Roger On closer to the middle of the table, and keep control (roger app) close.

Roger ON or in if you need the software. I like because you can as a portable listening device and also use it in a TV streaming device.