Roger On as directional mic?

Once again, I believe that Phonak has the best customer service in the industry. However, their service model is to work through their network of trained audiologists. They just cannot, and should not, be expected to deal directly with some of the individuals and some of the issues raised here.

Now if you use Phonak aids and accessories and use an audiologist who is not trained or knowledgeable about them that is a problem, but not a problem that Phonak customer service can resolve other than perhaps referring you to a different audiologist.

We in Asia are at the mercy of the Audi/Clinics because of our understanding of HL. Many of the seniors are not particulars about their HL as our livestyles are simple. The kids or grand children look after them. They just go the coffee shop nearby for their daily foods and chit chat with their firends. UK & USA are advance in their understanding of HL. Many of the veterans have HL due to the war or nature of their works.
Tinkering with ALD and one generation lower HA’s will help us a lot. Asia is a low-income countries ans could not afford the high end HA’s.
Learning from you during the golden years is very enjoyable and interesting.
Looking into the possibility of CAD of making my own acrylic or plastic ear mold using the existing molds for 100dB mic or Phonak BTE. If not possible, just buy silicon and mold one out of it. Maybe go handicraft shop to ask for help!.
Cheers Dan

1 Like

Hello Dan, I very much appreciate your input, and yes, I would imagine, it is extremely difficult in low income countries to get any kind of service or indeed basic hearing aids, there must be millions of folks in Asia whom would benefit from hearing aids, unfortunately they are priced out, by sheer economics… That brings home to me, how fortunate we are in the west, we have choices, and you have none or very few options… That makes me sad! I don’t have the answers, but you have my extreme empathy… Hearing aid manufacturers could do a lot more for Asia, if they wished, there is a lot of perfectly good aids, that probably end up in the trash, why not recycle them, to where they might be highly appreciated? Unfortunately, the world isn’t a level playing field, those that have, and those that have not, grows rapidly, and ever distant… Take care, cheers Kev.

3 Likes

Phonak has local area reps and they will help with hard cases or where the audiologist is not trained on a function. Your audiologist has to schedule them.

You could also mention that you would love to stay with your audiologist if they get fully trained and up to date. This month.

Yes! I agree that Phonak can not sustain one-on-one support for every customer’s needs. But my dream is that someone (either affiliated with a hearing aid maker or not) start a business that charges MONEY (yes, I’d pay!) to service & support my Phonak aids and accessories. Like the Best Buy Geek Squad. No house calls needed. Just put out an email invitation to learn all about the Roger mic, or how to pair + connect to multiple BT devices. Or when to see an audi if the fix requires Target software (or even better, training classes so WE can install and use the software ourselves - it can’t be rocket science).

Take a look at this thread, it’s a good start1

2 Likes

GREAT NEWS!!! I had my app’t with audi today, and she added a “Mute” function to my aids in the NoahLink sw. I can now mute my aids OR turn them completely OFF.

The benefit of the mute is that I can switch the audio in my aids to come from the Roger ON iN mic - and not have the background noise compete with my Phonak mics. YEGODS what an improvement. Now I need to test this further with the TV tonight and then in a noisy restaurant.

I’m SO glad for the many folks here who encouraged me to get the MUTE. Now it is a MOOT point! I can enjoy the benefits of better directionality and clarity without all the ambient noise.

Thanks to you, CombatWombat, raylock1 and no doubt handfuls more over the many months that I’ve struggled to get any value out of the Roger ON iN where I need to use it most: in noisy places, LOL.

For good measure, I downloaded the myRoger app while at the audi’s. Ack, it’s a bit of a turkey! I need to mute my aids with a 1.5-sec press on the DOWN volume button of either aid. (To turn my aids OFF, I still have to press that down volume button of BOTH aids a good 3 sec or more.)

So the phone lets me go from directional to tabletop to presenter. I can do that with my Roger stick! I suppose I could fiddle around with the directionality of my device?

5 Likes

Wait until you try cutting pieces of the circle out in table mode.

WH

2 Likes

LOL! I did that tonight! Pretty cool! I first put a laptop on my lap and the Roger on a small table nearby. Had it in “Tabletop” mode and cut those pie pieces away as I streamed SNL. Next was to put the mic on a credenza in same mode under the TV’s speaker. Dialed away on the pie and could hear hubs sitting next to me.

Also tested that even tho I’ve got my Phonaks in mute, I can still hear others in the room A-OK if Roger is in tabletop OR pointer, cuz it cuts the audio from my aids and uses just the Roger mic to pick up sound.

Now I have to get out to a NOISY restaurant and try it out there. The myRoger app doesn’t do a whole lot more than make the tabletop mode directional - no volume slider on that app. I was reading the FAQs that come with the app and it says that the default volume is SET on the Roger by the audi - it picks the “optimum” volume given my parameters. So if I really want sound louder or softer, I’d have to return to the audi to have her make an adjustment.

(Or buy the NoahLink software and learn how to do all this myself.)

Despite my newfound success with the Roger ON iN paired + connected to my Phonak Lumity Life aids, I go in next week to pick up Oticon Intent aids and see how THAT kind of “universe” compares in terms of sound quality, hearing in LOUD places, the so-called open paradigm hearing experience and whatnot. Will definitely post my results and impressions.

3 Likes

The volume control and mute button is in the myphonak app.
If you give in then you’d save trips to the audi.

1 Like

It’s a running joke that I “switch off” a certain Councillor (sits to my left) in our monthly meetings. :slight_smile:

@1Bluejay . Use both apps at the same time, to adjust volume.

Please let us know how you get on in the social/restaurant environment. I struggle with this, personally.

Peter

1 Like

I’m a step CLOSER to giving in. So far, myRoger app hasn’t blown up the phone … so that gives me courage to download myPhonak. :grinning:

1 Like

I SURE will! It’s the weekend, and I’m hoping to put that to the test today or tomorrow.

Keep that seat warm at the pub! :wink:

1 Like

Good for you, 1bluejay! Like White hat, i like to mute people when i need too!

Also, if i can position myself with my back to the noise, Roger pointed ahead of me, i will take out the 2 back pie slices, and hear everyone at my table! Works best if the table is against the wall and I’m at the end of the table with my back to the noise.

2 Likes

I don’t generally mute people at my table. But when there are gaps around the table I block them off so noise from those directions doesn’t come in.

WH

That is kinda what I did tonight! I had my aids in Tabletop mode and removed the slices of pie till it had just ONE slice - the one closest to my hubs across the table, LOL!

Worked better than Pointer!

OK. So test 1 tonight was at an outdoor noodle bar. Not very busy at “senior hours” of 6pm. Even so, they had music blaring from a speaker right over our table, and the outdoor seating is not far from a busy street.

First I tried Pointer mode. It did OKAY. Not fab, but hey! I then tried Tabletop, then removed slices of pie till I only had a single one left - the one closest to hubs sitting across the table from me. This did even better than Pointer. In fact, I created a custom program right there, calling it “Tabletop Focus” so I can use it in future.

I like the simplicity of the myRoger app. It’s pretty much a no-brainer. Had a disastrous experience moments ago downloading myPhonak - dang thing only paired + connected to ONE aid. Shades of the old Phonak Audeo B-Direct, which streamed to only ONE aid.

I’ll post again after I try this Roger at a busier place with INSIDE dining. But so far, I’m greatly appreciating the MUTE function that enable before turning the Roger on. It seems to take down the ambient noise noticeably. Do you have a mute function?

3 Likes

When I’m in this situation I wedge the mic on something in the table and lock it in pointer if it doesn’t do that automatically. Maybe it is close or the same thing but I like it better.

WH

2 Likes

Agreed. Phonak’s price for Roger On mic is about $1800 and Phonak prevents any competition. In my case, the Roger On mic makes my HA’s about 50% more effective so my need is desperate enough to suffer the price gouging.

A reminder to all Roger On users (from the phonak website):

“MultiBeam 2.0 technology enable the user to hear from what direction someone is talking when they place the Roger On in the center of a table. For best results, make sure the USB port of Roger On is facing you when placed on the table. To use MultiBeam 2.0 Technology the user must have a pair of hearing aids with Roger Direct and the myRogerMic app. In the app under ‘settings’ you can then enable MultiBeam 2.0 Technology. MultiBeam 2.0 will then be activated when you lock your Roger On in table mode.”

NOTE the final sentence. So, the directional capability will only work in locked table mode and not in auto mode. I assume that’s what it means anyway.

3 Likes