Resound TV Streamer+ and AV Receiver + TV as monitor

My wife is due for an update to latest technology hearing aids and I have been trying to figure out how to get a TV Streamer+ (or any other similar device) to function with an AV receiver. I have a Chromecast with Google TV dongle attached via HDMI to in an input on my current AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX 21 TXH) which then feeds via HDMI to a Samsung 7100 TV. Neither the Digital Audio Output on the AVR nor the one on the TV blinks red. I’ve tried many permutations of settings and perused the manuals at length. Searching forums, I’ve found no one who actually describes a working chain. Suggestions are welcome but I’d most appreciate someone who actually has this kind of setup working explaining how. It may be that the AVR or the TV will have to be updated so I’d like to hear what works as the AVR and TV, although they work perfectly (and probably will do so for another 10 years - haha!) may be unable to accommodate this use-case.

I used to have a Yamaha 5.1 and then downgraded to a Sony all in one. At that time i split the HDMI signal coming from the Dish receiver, to an HDMI to toslink adapter, to run my resound and then phonak tv transmitters.

Eventually i figured i might have input from various sources and decided i needed to go downstream as much as possible, and connected to the Toslink connector on the TV.

I have no idea why that is not working for you. Do you have to “activate” the toslink output on the TV menu?

If you cant get that going you may have to get a splitter and converter and split the HDMI going to the TV.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the HDMI coming out of the AVR and feeding video to the TV is “smartly” not including any sound because the AVR assumes that sound is its job (it powers the speakers). I have found no way to “activate” the Toslink output on the TV, just a setting for internal versus external speakers. Choosing “external” does not result in any flashing red in the TV’s Toslink connector. I think there is no signal coming out because there is no audio being fed to the TV which the AVR.

That said, I think your HDMI splitter idea might work if I put it upstream from the AVR. The Chromecast for Google TV connects to the AVR input via HDMI so it must be feeding both video and sound to the AVR which sends sound to the speakers and passes video to the TV (which functions only as a monitor). I see inexpensive <$30 “audio extractors” that might do the trick. That would certainly beat replacing the AVR even if it seems somewhat kludgy and all the “audio extractors” have some 1-star reviews.