Resound Smartt Fit documentation -- where?

Thanks for this valuable group. I bought LiNX 3D’s last June, but my audi is the pits. He correctly perceived that I’d rather do my own programming. He warned me that he couldn’t provide software, and I was surprised to find it via your links, though it was a long 1GB download on HughesNet. It seems to at least run, and I added myself as a patient. That prompted me to buy the $250 Noahlink wireless device, which should be delivered tomorrow. Is there a good explanation of how the Smart Fit software works and what I can do with it?
TIA Don 23805

For example;

As pvc quotes, you can sign up for Audiology Online courses for free - if you paid to be a member, you could get CEU credits but one probably cannot qualify for CEU’s unless one is a registered provider and probably wouldn’t want CEU otherwise.

(search filter for ReSound courses - enter a specific topic in search box)

If you go to the ReSound Pro website, you can find PDF downloads on using the software but the Audiology Online courses are better learning tools. As MDB has mentioned in the past, just being familiar with how your HA’s can be programmed from reviewing software capability, taking Audiology Online courses can be helpful in really knowing what your provider can do for you and what adjustments might be necessary, even if one isn’t into DIY as you are. For example, in the Smart Fit software, there is a troubleshooting section for the provider: the provider can choose from a number of classic HA problems in a drop-down and the software suggests what the best troubleshooting steps might be.

Quattro Support:
https://www.resoundpro.com/en-US/support/linx-quattro-support

LiNX 3D Support:
https://www.resoundpro.com/en-US/support/linx3d-pro-support

Thanx for all the replies. I downloaded the pdf’s, but when I click on " [Back to the Basics: A ReSound Smart Fit Course for Beginners]", I never get to the video, just links that take me back to where I started. What am I missing? Or do I have to wait for the 3/18 webinar?
Noahlink Wireless due today !
TIA
Don

While viewing the course offering, click on the REGISTER button (or if viewing a list of ReSound courses, click on COURSE DETAILS for that course. Then on the registration page, scroll down past UPCOMING LIVE WEBINARS until you see VIEW ON DEMAND. That should enable you to watch a pre-recorded video.

I guess the danger of taking the course now is that on/after 3/18/19, the presenter may be offering an updated version of the course. Presumably the reason for offering a live course from time to time on the very basics of the fitting software is to give providers an opportunity to ask the presenter questions over the web. If you are an absolute newbie and not a hearing aid provider, it might be quite embarrassing and awkward to be asking the presenter questions and since people who are not licensed providers are not supposed to be using the software, the ReSound and Audiology Online folks might not react favorably to discerning that you were a DIY trying to participate in a live course.

It’s a pretty basic course so you will probably want to take some of the other offerings after learning the basics. Good Luck! The courses are very informative in understanding the basic ReSound options.

OK, found and watched the 56 minute video. Then my Noahlink Wireless showed up this afternoon . . . slicker’n’snot ! It linked right up with my LiNX 3D’s and I was smart enough to tell it to Read From Devices rather than starting from scratch :grin: I looked, but didn’t touch anything. Lots of interesting data stored in the HA’s.
Before exiting the program, I clicked SAVE. Did this write that data to the HA’s? Apparently it wrote it to the PC because I later opened the program without connecting and it had various info like the audiogram. It seems like I’d want to make changes, send to the HA’s and also save them to the PC with notes so that I could always revert to an older fitting if I messed things up. Where does it save it and how do I find older sets of HA parameters to revert?
Making great progress. Thanx to all.
Don

Rather than carefully look through the software and give you step-by-step instructions, which would take me a bunch of time, I’ll just mention the generalities and let you figure out the details.

You have the option in SmartFit 1.3 to just save to the database or to the database and the HA’s so make sure if offered, that you chose the option you want. If there is nothing new to update the HA’s with, the software may just save to the database.

I input my audiogram by hand, then read the fitting data from the HA’s, then saved to the database, and saved that information as my original fit by the audiologist under a unique patient. But once when a software update was available from ReSound, it automatically updated that patient as judged by the last session recorded.

Every time I try something fairly different, I create a new patient and label what the experiment is by adding short terms/abbreviations as a suffix to my last name as a patient.

As to whether you overwrote your HA settings, you could always create a new patient and for the new patient, connect to your HA’s and when it asks you whether you want to go with the software data or the fitting data in your HA’s, just see what the date is for your HA settings IN THE HA’s. If you overwrote the HA settings with the SAVE your asking about, the HA’s will now have today’s date but if nothing happened, the HA settings will still have the date that your provider last updated your settings.

Within one patient’s data, there are SESSIONS. When you are at the patient management level and working with an individual patient (a variation of yourself), there is a SESSIONS option in the upper left. When you click on that, you will see all the different fitting dates for that patient. Clicking on a particular dated session loads the fitting setup for that point in time into the software (so you can literally go backward and forward in time). There is also a NOTES option for each session and you can type extensive, detailed notes on what you did, your reaction to what you did, etc.

I’ve rambled on enough. Hopefully this will provide you some useful pointers.

Thanx. I’ll give that a go. If not sessions, then separate patients may be a good solution.
Don

Forgot to mention that if you don’t enter or load an audiogram into the software, the software will find and read the audiogram that it loaded into your HA settings when your provider does the initial fitting. Playing around with multiple varied copies of myself as a “patient,” I’ve done it both ways. The software will nag you if you haven’t entered the audiogram from external sources but then eventually retrieve whatever is in your HA’s, offering you explicitly the option to do that. Guess it wants to make doubly sure that the provider knows where the audiogram that ends up in the software is coming from in case the provider fails to enter the brand new audiogram that was just generated from retesting, etc.

BTW, I don’t run my Smart Fit software regularly but just having gotten custom molds today, I did and noticed that there is a new update that takes the Smart Fit software from version 1.3 update 3 to version 1.4 update 2 (might have missed something in-between!). Version 1.4 was issued as of 3/6/19.

I wonder what version 1.4 is all about? The last time the Smart Fit software advanced from 1.2 to 1.3 I believe was when the Quattro’s came out in August, 2018. Here’s hoping that the next 0.1 “jump” has something to do with Made for Android coming along soon but might just be a performance and/or bug reduction upgrade. The software seems a tad snappier at transitioning at various points. There is a new user guide but I am unable to find a change log in the new user guide or on the Help menu, About Smart Fit submenu, Version tab. Sure is a lot of open-source stuff, though, in Smart Fit.

http://go.gn.com/b-rs

BTW, when I make any changes in my fit, I go to the Tools menu (on the right of the middle bar below the fitting graphs) and pick Recalculate. I pick All Programs and Both Ears.

EDIT_UPDATE: Just occurred to me that the issuance of new LIVE webinars on Back to Basics for the Smart Fit software might have something with the recent update from version 1.3 to version 1.4 of Smart Fit.

Thanks for all the info. Now the gloomy weekend, so a chance to see what I can break. When I choose a patient and get the next screen, my version (1.3) shows a choice bar in the upper Right where I can choose Profile, Audiogram or SESSION.
I guess I need to understand the graphic of the audiogram better. e.g., Target & Input curves; AC, BC MCL & UCL in the audiogram page. I got MPO, but what is CR. And where is The Database? I’d like to keep a copy of it on Dropbox, since that’s what I use for backups.
TIA Don

I believe CR is compression.

Oh yeah, or “Compression Ratio”, since it’s a decimal generally >1.0 (in my case). I wonder how its calculated or interpreted. If I change individual gain numbers, it sometimes also changes the CR.
Well I tried an In-Situ testing and cadme up with a new audiogram. It seems generally lower gain levels than my audi used. I (think) I id it as a new patient so I can revert to the old one.

I think the CR increases if the gain is higher and gets too close to the MPO as in less of a gap.

My CR is all under 2. I think the higest CR for me, is 1.7.

Another very important factor in how you set yourself up is what type of general user profile you are under, i.e. Patient Experience Level. There are four choices: Comfort, First-Time User, Experienced (Non-Linear), and Experienced (Linear). The last is a misnomer according to a ReSound audiologist teaching an Audiology Online course. There is just less compression than the Non-Linear version. You get more gain in the latter two profiles and the audiologist advised the Non-Linear is the most satisfactory for the experienced user. The first two profiles are designed for the new users so as to not overwhelm them with gain. When you read your HA settings, you should find yourself in one of these profiles already. In Edit, Preferences, you can change the default User Profile for creating a new patient (plus a number of other things, such as what programs are created for a default new user). You can change the default profile for a patient and recompute Target and Gain curves.

On what’s new in the 3/6/19 Smart Fit 1.4 Update 2 version, unless I missed it previously, in the Restaurant program there is now a new option to set the default degree of Autoscope when the user switches to the Restaurant program by button push or Smart 3D app. It also seems like the fitting layout has been prettied up a bit. Another thing, not sure if I accidentally did something else to create it, but it seems like the Acoustic Phone program might be now added by default when creating a new user. Somehow a new user I created after 3/6/19 now has Acoustic Phone in his profile and I don’t remember adding it myself. I might have been viewing a previous experimental user who had that program added before I created the new user - but doesn’t seem like such a viewing history should be reflected in creating a new user (unless it’s a weird program bug). Too bad ReSound does not provide a change log with its new program versions that I can tell.

The ReSound Smart Fit documentation says that the data is stored in a Noah database. The default extension for a Noah database is apparently .NHA. But I haven’t been able to find a database in the program file folders (x86 and amd64), ProgramData, or AppData or my User Profile. However, you can always backup your patients by exporting their data/fit as XML files (what I do).

You don’t need new patients. Each patient has multiple sessions.

OTH, by creating a new patient and naming that person as to the fitting parameters it’s easier to find and view or revert to a previous fitting. If there were a way of searching on sessions for specific parameters, names, etc., that would be better. I think the software is designed for providers who are not overly organized, i.e., ReSound doesn’t want to hit them up with too much database complications, etc.

How about “AutoRelate”? I wanted to change params in one program but not botch up others. It behaves strangely (to my way of thinking). It looks like you have to have at least one other programs follow changes made in the “left column program”. But if I click Right, Both or Left, it exits. When I go back in it looks like it will still transfer changes to all other programs. Does it work, or am I missing something?
TIA Don

I’m just creating new patients with the same last name, and a first name of the date I do it.

Have either of you reverted back to a previous session? Or in your case, to a differently named patient?