Resound Smartfit 1.6 not reading my aids' settings, but it will see my aids

I did a total shut down and restart, then tries again with the same results. Same blinking green lights on interface and nada. SO I dragged out my old Enzos to give it a try - Smartfit reverted to Aventa and then connected with my old aids. However, the Wireless interface did not blink during the process. I know that when my audi was programming my new aids, the interface would blink red when programming. To be clear though, I didn’t put the old Enzos in my ears to test them. I hit save without making changes and the SW gave me a “Saved” prompt. So back to Smartift and my new Enzos, with the same dead end. Exact same behavior. I I eliminated the interface as the problem. The iPhone app works fine with the new aids, so I think I can say the BT is working correctly. What could it be? I’m stumped.

I am too, I also tried with smartfit version 1.7 in demo mode, same thing you mentioned, I couldn’t go further without entering a audiogram!

I tried with Enzo2 and don’t have this issue when starting a new client, something with the Quattro model is different, you know I couldn’t even get to the import/export drop down menu either?

I don’t think that’s right, I think red is for disconnected from HA. Running the test mode blinks from red to green.

Ok I see you did the firmware update.

Have you tried without entering an Audiogram?

I don’t know much about SmartFit but let me pose a couple of questions;

Let’s say you DON’T want to use the hearing aid settings, how would you proceed? You would enter a client, enter the client’s audiogram, and then proceed with a fitting based on the audiogram you entered, right?

If you DO want to use the hearing aid settings how would you proceed? Maybe just create a client without entering an audiogram?

It’s real easy to test. Add a different client, “Joe Blow”. Don’t enter an audiogram. Proceed with a fitting hopefully based on the hearing aid settings.

The SW will not let me create a new client without entering an audiogram.

I thought about manually entering the HA settings (instead of autofit), then save, to create a session, then reopening the session but then reading the aids instead of loading in the session settings… but I didn’t understand why that would then make the interface read my settings. I guess at this point it’s worth a shot.

Another thought is Smartfit did an auto update of the interface’s firmware, supposedly to improve communication. I think I found revert button - maybe I can revert then see if that fixes the “improvement”.

@azureblue, I have the Resound Quattro 9, and am able to do what you want to do with Smartfit. Here’s the steps I’ve gone through - see where yours is different, maybe that will help point to the problem.

1. Add New Patient:

2. There is no need to enter your instrument information on this page. Ensure that you are seeing “Noahlink Wireless” in the drop down, and then click Connect.

3. You should end up seeing this. If you don’t, see next step

4. If instead you see this. I get this when my hearing aids are still connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth/mfi. Ensure that your HAs aren’t connected to anything via BT.

5. If that was your problem, you should now end up seeing the following.

6. Once you reboot your HAs, you should then see:

7. You should then get to the screen where you can read the instrument data

3 Likes

Almost! I used a previous client that had the patient data loaded in (the audogram) and I got the interface to see just the left instrument. At least this time When I got screen #7 the interface’s green lights blinked… How do I get it to see both aids’ settings? If I clicked continue, the software says it can read teh settings on teh left side but wants to “calibrate” the right side, which seems to mean that Smartfit is not reading that side.

Discovery! iPhone bluetooth must be off for Smartfit to read the aids. The phone is in constant “Search” mode. I think it grabs the BT connection before the interface can connect. But still after three tries I can’t get Smartfit to read the settings on both aids… (Starting from a client database that already has teh hearing aid model and audiogram loaded in, sicne starting from scratch gets blocked at the “no audiogram points” screen.

Congratulations…

nope - only one aid recognized - see picture #2

The second picture has a selectable button to select session or aid.
Select the aid.
Delete the undetected aid audiogram in the session. Try again.

if I select left aid “Use instrument” the soft ware then goes into a generic fitting session for the right aid. I get a window with a blank audiogram for each aid and "both sides Right ear Left ear radio buttons on the middle of the screen and at the bottom of the screen —
“please inform the patient that the calibration tone may be loud.—”

I don’t want to risk losing the programming I have on my aids…

When you are on the screen for calibration, is there a button in the bottom right that will continue (without calibrating)? I remember seeing that myself when I went through the sequence earlier today - but can’t get back to the calibtration screen for some reason now.

1 Like

yes there is and clicking on thsi button did the trick! It read my aids and saved the settings. And I can program my aids. Knock on wood but It think once the aids’ settings were recognized and saved, the software communication became less balky… Much thanks to all

1 Like

This has been a good thread. I sure learned a few things about Smartfit and the phones Bluetooth interference was an interesting thing too.

Glad the right person finally got envolved, thanks.

1 Like

I wish there was a way to disable BT auto search or at least make it manual. I am not 100% convinced that was the problem with connectivity but cause and effect, etc. I tried again with iPhone on, to connect to Smartfit, by waiting until the green interface lights blinked three times to turn on my aids, but I got the same no connect. iPhone off- connect.
My opinion is Smartfit is not well written software, but I’m happy that narenK knew a workaround - much thanks to him / her.

1 Like

IDK when it got on the software, but now on the connect screen there is a warning telling you to go into airplane mode, turn off BT or just shut down the phone. Oh now they tell us…

1 Like

Just wanted to thank the invaluable contributions (especially Narenkona) in this thread which spurred me on to my own DIY adventure :

Last year I got Resound Aids and as soon as they were turned on I noticed crackling in the right aid whenever the audiologist spoke. They made some adjustments and it seemed a little better plus I figured the masks we were both wearing may be exacerbating the issue.

When I got home it became clear that any low frequency noise triggered the distortion and in some male voices it was present at the end of every word they spoke. It was particularly unbearable when using the TV Streamer. At the next appointment no amount of adjustments could eliminate the distortion so it was sent back to the manufacturer for repair.

Sure enough the microphone and receiver were replaced but surprisingly the issue remained. I really liked the music features of the aid (music streamed from the phone sounded great and didn’t have any distortion) so I figured I could sacrifice the gain in the low frequencies to be rid of the issue. Understandably the audiologist was reluctant but they made the adjustments.

The distortion was gone which was great at first but after a few days I noticed everyday sounds seemed flat and raspy. And another issue that was there all along seemed much more pronounced - some female voices sounded warbly.

I conveyed this to my Audiologist and they told me to be realistic. Which is fair enough as it did seem like we had tried everything as far as gains values were concerned. So I could either get used to them or return the aids and try another brand with no guarantees the same issue woudn’t arise (my previous aids had a similar clipping issue with the left aid). Then I thought about going DIY!

So I found this forum and this topic in particular and I decided to take a risk (I was qutie anxious I would F things up) and order the Noahlink Wireless. It arrived last week and I’m glad to say (thanks to this thread) I was able to backup my original settings and create a new experimental profile in which I was able to fix the issues I was having as well as other quality of life changes.

So, under Advanced Features changing the following solved my distortion issues :

Time Constants : Changed from Syllabic to Slow fixed the audio distortion in right aid

DFS Ultra II : Changed from Mild To Music fixed warbling in speech

Smartfit’s media player was a huge help as it allowed me to play conversation samples through my PC speakers while I adjusted or enabled / disabled various features until I narrowed it down to the features above.

After that I reset the prescription so the gain levels in the right aid were restored and all is well now. From now on I will only be buying hearing aids that I can fine tune myself.

2 Likes

You definitely need to have your phone Bluetooth off to be able to connect Smartfit to your HAs. This is something I learned when my audiologist tried to connect to my Quattros.

Distortion on male voices is because your audi is trying to fit outside the fitting range for the HAs. Turning the bass down is the answer (or perhaps turning up the MPO). Any competent audi should know this, but my first (incompetent) audi didn’t, until I worked it out for her.

1 Like

I initially suspected my HP aid should have been UP but I’m glad that wasn’t the case. Presumably I’d be changing batteries more often if it was UP.