Resound Smart 3D App

I have been using direct audio streaming on my GN Resound Linx Quattro aids for the last couple of years and it’s great (when it works!).I use it on a Redmi Note 10 phone. About four or five weeks ago it stopped working and despite several uninstall/reinstalls, etc. it just refuses to work.

When I try to pair it with my aids it finds them and my phone reports that they are paired (see image) but they just won’t connect. GN are not interested because my phone is not on their (very limited) list of compatible devices.but it did work quite well for a year or two. Anyone else had the same problem?

I had extreme connection reliability problems until upgraded to Android 13. 90% resolved now. Though I have a Galaxy S20, which is probably on their approved list.

1 Like

That type of Bluetooth problem is very common and not limited to hearing aids. It often helps to delete the aids in the pairing list and re-pair. At least with Quattro and Smart-3D app, pairing must be done with the app. Sometimes it fails because the Android “accept pairing?” message does not appear. All attempts should be started from scratch: App stopped (killed, not necessarily reinstalled) and phone restarted.

1 Like

I am on Android 13 and I have tried reinstalling several times. I have also tried what you suggest above (force stopping the process) but it makes no difference. The pairing process works fine and the aids appear in the paired bluetooth devices list as shown in the image above. The “accept pairing” message also appears but they just refuse to connect.

It’s all very frustrating. Looks like I’m going to have to shell out for another phone but my fear is that I do so and still have the problem.

I have problems with the ReSound app on my S20 5G (not listed as compatible, but the S20 is), but the aids connect and stay connected without a problem.

I tested the app on my wife’s iphone se (2020) and it worked perfectly on IOS 16.?. If I get a new phone, it’ll be an iphone. I hesitate because I dislike paying the premium for used iphones, and there’s no way I’m going to buy a brand new phone at today’s prices.

ETA: come to think of it, the app has started to lose BT connection with the aids from time to time, becoming more frequent. My HAs are the only BT devices on my phone, although my wife has KS10s connected to her phone. My phone stays connected to the aids. I’ve restarted the phone and the aids at various times. I’m pretty annoyed.

I’ve had other problems with the app, and I’ve reported it to ReSound. Denmark passed it on to Minnesota, and I haven’t anything - like, did they read my complaint? Do they see the same problems? Are they doing anything to troubleshoot? So I’m actually disappointed and annoyed.

1 Like

Both ReSound and Oticon users have had problems with iOS 16.x. So perhaps an iPhone will avoid the uncertainties of which Android phone works best with (fill in your hearing aid model here). But speaking from experience with ReSound Omnias, the iPhone experience won’t be BT trouble-free. And with the iPhone, it’s not at the app level, I think. With an iPhone and MFi HA’s, the HA’s are first paired directly with the iPhone through iOS, and they show up in the OS settings. The app is just more specialized, advanced connectivity control on top of that. The problem with my iPhone and Omnias seems to be getting out of BT connection distance of my iPhone for a long time. Then when I come back in range, the HA’s do not always automatically reconnect. Usually, it’s only one of the two (could be the left or the right). The affected HA shows up in the smartphone app as not connected but also not connected deep down at the iOS level. Rebooting the affected HA usually fixes the problem for the day. If I stay in range of my iPhone or carry it with me or drive with it, I never have a problem, and the HA works perfectly fine without being connected. Usually it’s only if I try to use the app or start streaming that I notice the loss of connection at all.

I tested the app on my wife’s phone too (an Oppo) but I get the same problem.

What irks me is that GN seem to blame the compatibility issue on the phones rather the app. Why can’t they just make the bloody thing compatible with all, like most other app developers have to?

Hey, Jim! I don’t know whether to thank you for pointing out iphone problems or to be disappointed because there’s no sure solution. :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course, this is a 1st world problem. Still, the annoyance often makes me forget how good today’s aids are. I am ashamed to say I never could empathize much with people who didn’t hear well when I could hear well myself.

I can’t help thinking the app uses APIs that are proprietary to Google, Samsung, and OnePlus, but I’m not a programmer. I’m just a guy who found programming errors for a living…

1 Like

Fwiw, Android is implemented differently on different phones. The reason Resound can’t offer a universal guarantee of connectivity is there are just to many Android based phones in the world to test. Apple, on the other hand, makes both the phone and the operating system so it’s much easier for HA manufacturers to offer support by models.

This isn’t to say the Apple experience is painless. It isn’t. But your odds will always be better if you’re on a supported phone.

Is it possible your Resounds still have a connection to tablet or laptop? Not shutting of this second connection could generate the odd results you’re seeing.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying but my HAs are connected only to my phone.

Can you borrow a supported phone from someone (or try one out in a store) and see if you still have the same problem?

2 Likes

It’s been so long since i had to pair mine i kinda forget the procedure. If I remember correctly, doesn’t the phones BT setting have to be OFF for pairing procedure to complete?

1 Like

That’s a good suggestion.

No It has to be on.

"How to pair your hearing aids with your AndroidTM device

1. Turn your hearing aids off.
  2. Go the Settings menu and check that Bluetooth is turned on.
  3. Go to Google Play. In the Search field on top, enter the name of the app and download
    the app.
  4. Once downloaded, open the app and tap Get Started.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screen to connect. You are now ready to go"
1 Like

I guess that’s only when i connect to SmartFit.
You might try clearing the Cache and Data for the app (go to settings, Apps, Resound 3d, click Storage in App Info to access setting), THEN uninstall the app. Then go into your phones Device Care in settings and Optimize and clear Memory. Then restart phone. Then reinstall app. Then re-pair aids.
I had issues when first pairing mine 18 months ago and tried multiple times and had to do the above because it seemed that even when i deleted the app, my phone stored some the data from previous attempts and at reinstall would fail because of this previous app data.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I did what you suggested but sadly it made no difference. Looks like I need to buy a new phone. It’s just so annoying as it did work with this phone for more than a year.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Maybe last update isnt compatible any longer with your phone. I know with each android update, i have app issues for a while until the last one, which actually improved things. Best wishes to you

Cheers.

I have no problems pairing the aids. It’s just the direct audio streaming that won’t work. Now looking at new phones.

If, as you say, direct audio streaming worked before, I would wait a bit. Maybe a future update of your phone will fix the problem that the previous update caused.
Unless you want a new phone anyway.

I have Samsung S22 5G, which is on the list of compatible smartphones, with Android 13 and UI 5.1, and when I try to pair and connect to my wife’s ReSound Customs, sometimes only one hearing aid is discovered.
So the latest “compatible” phones are not a guarantee of flawless operation.
I think the BT LE technology is still in nappies.

My wife has Samsung A71 (not on the list), Android 13 and UI 5.1, and she connects to her HA’s OK, the connection will be there for a few days, and then Bingo. Once I did everything I could think of, but the app would see the HA’s, but not connect.
Then I did “Restart” (not Power OFF) - the green button, and that fixed the problem. For the time being.
BUT: my wife does not do audio streaming. Just control. I do not know if streaming would work.

I have had an exchange of emails with the Smart 3D developers, and they claim that having Android 12 or 13 and ASHA does not necessarily make the system work.
It is the implementation of it that matters.

Their policy of making their app compatible with only the most expensive line of smartphones is a shame.
They could have developed a new app for those who have the money, and leave the older versions for those who were happy with it and have lesser smartphones.

That’s the world we live in. ReSound wants to have cutting edge technology - audio streaming. etc.
Forgetting that hearing aids are medical devices, forgetting that most users are older people who just want to have reliable remote control.

1 Like

I totally agree with your comments. My previous smartphone was a Samsung but not on the list. I could pair it and use it for controlling the app no problem but I could not get it to do direct audio streaming (DAS). I gave up eventually.

Around a year later I decided to upgrade my phone (for the camera). I paid £220 for a Redmi Note 10 phone and to my surprise I found that the DAS worked perfectly. I then got used to this because I have profound hearing loss and it is very, very good. I could look forward to talking to people with confidence rather than trepidation. A year or so down the line it stopped working and I find that I really miss it.

I’ve started looking at compatible phones but these all seem to be in the £500 to £1000 range and I’m not willing to pay that. As you say, GN could surely have made the app compatible with a low or mid price range smartphone. This is surely not rocket science.

1 Like