ReSound Smart 3D app "Optimize MFi"

On the latest version of this app on the iPhone there is a setting under More to “Optimize MFi Connection”. Has anyone else tried this? My experience is awful, it just disconnects and reconnects each time you go to the app, its fairly quick. But its much quicker to just NOT disconnect and reconnect. I see nothing but negative attributes for this feature. Anyone else?
Thanks.

I imagine it is for those who always have the app up. Priority is assigned to apps and long inactivity would lower that.

Here is the info my audiologist sent me:

ReSound is pleased to introduce an update to the ReSound Smart 3D app.
ReSound Smart 3D app version 1.2.2. includes a new feature, Optimize MFi connection, miscellaneous bug fixes and performance improvements. Optimize MFi connection is an optional setting that is intended to improve connection and stability of audio streaming, and optimize performance for users switching between iOS devices. Visit the ‘More’ menu within the app to find the Optimize MFi connection function.

When Optimize MFi connection is enabled, the Find my hearing aid function will reflect the location when the app was last open and active. Even if the app continues to run in the background, it will no longer track the location status in real-time.

When Optimize MFi connection is disabled, the Find my hearing aid function will work as it does today - the last location when connected to the app will be reflected as the app is running in the background.
Optimize MFi connection is defaulted ‘Off’ in the app. If a patient reports connection or streaming issues, they may choose to turn this feature on. If the patient does not report any connection issues and desires the full benefit of Find my hearing aid, the Optimize MFi connection should remain off.

ReSound Smart 3D version 1.2.2. is available today for both iOS and Android.

1 Like

Thanks for this info. From personal experience, its awful. No improvements, just constantly waiting for it to connect, each and every time.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering why all of a sudden my phone app wasn’t staying connected! I updated the app, turned on the “Optimize” (who wouldn’t want everything to be “optimized”?) and had an adjustment to the HAs the same day. I was thinking she had screwed something up and was waiting to get another adjustment to undo whatever changed. Glad to know it was a quick fix.

MFi on the Smart 3Ds work very good for me. Only issue I had is occasional clicking and sometimes the hearing aids disconnect from the iPhone. Often just one ear. Seems to have improved after the last few updates.

My audiologist did say that older iPhones (5SE, 6) don’t work well and Resound is recommends upgrading these phone. This may explain why some people have no issues and others do.

Jordan

Glad I was able to help. Yes, that was exactly my experience, the ReSound app was flaunting the new optimize feature, and its just awful. There was nothing really broken, if I leave that disabled, the app/aids/phone are all fine.

I have a 6S, not sure that upgrading the phone makes any difference. I am tempted by a new one, mostly for a larger screen so I can see the GPS display better.

Thought I would look more into how MFI works. It seems that Apple may have invented the term to apply to its hearing aid technology but now uses it across the board for a wide range of technologies including those involved in HomeKit, AirPlay audio, CarPlay, Find My, etc. MFi Program (apple.com)

More details on the iOS technologies ascribed to being involved with MFi are given in the link at the bottom of the first page described above: How It Works (apple.com)

Unfortunately, when you get to the part “Find Out If The Program Is Right For You” (bottom of How It Works page), individuals and hobbyists need not apply: Who Should Join

Not to completely throw cold water on folks and organizations who don’t qualify to dabble in MFi, Apple offers the following two options (from a list of many) that would seem most likely to apply to the MFI technology aspects involved with HA’s (various forms of Bluetooth).

• App developers creating apps that communicate with MFi accessories. App developers should join the Apple Developer Program. However, it is up to the accessory developer or manufacturer to determine whether they wish to authorize specific third-party apps to communicate with their MFi accessories through the External Accessory Framework. App developers should consult with the accessory developer to determine whether to proceed with development of an app that communicates with an MFi accessory using the EA framework.

• Developers and manufacturers of accessories that connect to an Apple device using only Bluetooth Low Energy, Core Bluetooth, or standard Bluetooth profiles supported by iOS. Learn more about Bluetooth.

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth link in the second option, which seems the most relevant one, is broken and for the first alternative option it seems that one would obviously need the grant of access from an MFi HA OEM to dabble around with the programming API of an MFi HA. I’ll see if I can find an alternative to the broken BT link. Google publishes the full ASHA spec (which is open source) - Apple denies educational use of MFi programming since it says it doesn’t want the details out in the open. Kinda sums up the basic dichotomy between Android and iOS… The advice below the two options that I quoted above:

• Educational organizations that want to use the MFi technical specifications for teaching purposes. The information shared under the MFi Program is Apple Confidential and is not intended to be used in an academic setting.

Edit_Update: A good starting page for Bluetooth in iOS and MFi is the following Bluetooth main page for Apple Developers: Bluetooth - Apple Developer (my suggested substitute for the broken developer link on the Apple MFi page above). Lots of other possibilities can be found by searching on “Apple developer MFi Bluetooth”