Resound quattro vs resound one

I hope the discussion has helped you decide some of the differences between quattro and one. Hopefully, it’s also useful to people like me wondering if we should upgrade ourselves or try something else. In community discussions we sometimes stray from exactly what the OP wants to know but I think we try to share information with everyone, not just the OP, and all learn in the process things that are useful in our hearing journeys. I always find what I learn in one thread helps me appreciate and value the expertise of posters when I encounter them in other threads. I think, too, in addressing the question “which one should I go with?,” there’s a lot you have to decide for yourself based on how you value or don’t value relative features discussed. A lot of the decision points are very subjective and vary quite a bit from person to person so as jay_man2 pointed out, gathering opinions from a lot of different threads, not just the one you started, might be the best approach because a lot of folks who have contributed useful information elsewhere may not show up to participate in this thread. (I stayed up all night to buy an RTX 3090 video card at a special early morning Best Buy Nvidia GPU sale, so I’m foggier than even usual and quite a bit poorer, too!).

4 Likes

Well I have had Resound Quattro for a couple of years now and in a couple of weeks I will be trying the Resound One, so may have some insights to share subsequently……

3 Likes

Jim, as you know I wore the quattros for over 2 yrs. and I changed to the 1’s when they came out (luckily my costs are covered fully by workmans compensation claim) I honestly did not see a significant difference in my hearing and was not at all impressed with r&mie … the app is still the best on the market and battery life is great … the new program ultra focus is just ok … I still like having the capability to set sub programs that change using GPS settings

2 Likes

I just took the above course. Learned a few interesting things. I will just summarize now and add an illustration or two and further info gleaned from course transcript, when and if it is available to me as a non-CEU, non-HCP just auditing the course.

First, the M&RIE microphone on the receiver is not recommended for small ear canals or ear canals with sharp bends or protruding bony growth. Also, not for people with steeply sloping hearing loss, e.g., if you have little loss in low frequency but then your hearing suddenly takes a very big dive in the high frequencies, not recommended. Gently sloping loss works better, either in the mild to moderate range or the moderate to severe. For the former, tulip domes or closed domes would be preferred. No OPEN domes. For the latter (moderate to severe), either power domes or earmolds would be best and the presenter said earmolds would be excellent, even better if you can tolerate a lot of occlusion to prevent feedback.

On “M&RIE directionality” vs. “All-Access Directionality,” the only time that came up was in answer to a question whether on advanced fitting options did one need to hunt for the M&RIE option in a dropdown for any setting. The presenter mentioned choosing M&RIE directionality vs. All-Access Directionality as one place where there was such a choice but said in general it would be not so great a choice to pick the M&RIE directionality over All-Access as you lose a lot of the “programmed-in” benefits that come with the All-Access Directionality choice (I presume that she’s talking about automatic implementation of feature settings akin to Phonak’s Autosense). She mentioned for most feature choices, you didn’t need to hunt for the M&RIE variety of that fitting option as the fitting software automatically took into account whether your HA’s were fitted with the M&RIE receiver and automatically picked the best choice, etc.

Since I have one very narrow canal that may take a sharp bend and the other a relatively big canal, I’m wondering if that rules me out as a One or Jabra M&RIE wearer even though I’d have no problem with a completely occlusive earmold (I’ve worn one for years).

The interesting thing about the Audiology Online course was at the beginning there was a poll as to why participants were there. The last choice was essentially “just find out about M&RIE,” which I picked. Shortly after that, I noticed that I had no ability to chat and ask questions, participate in other polls, or see the poll results in Zoom. Don’t know if it was just a Zoom glitch or whether there was a moderator limiting the ability of auditors who were non-HCPs, e.g., me!, to participate in the proceedings. The downside was that I didn’t have any opportunity to ask the presenter any questions at the end since I had no chat/messaging capability to the presenter but I take it folks registered for CEUs did (they are paying customers of Audiology Online!). I’ll see if a transcript shows up with the course completion in my online account and in another post I’ll add one or two images that show how steeply sloping loss limits the ability to fit and M&RIE receiver. Have to go for auto repair now!

Great input. I’m currently wearing M&RIE receivers, and for the last few weeks have M&RIE set as the directionality in my primary All Around program, and have a second All Around program with All Access Directionality. I haven’t been in enough challenging environments lately to decide which is better for me. Music sounds better to me with All Around and M&RIE, but that’s all I’ve determined. I think over the next month I’ll stay in All Around with All Access predominantly, then decide from there.

I do have ear canals with sharp bends, and my loss isn’t “gently sloping,” but the M&RIE receivers work okay for me. Decisions, Decisions.

1 Like

Interestingly, I have the jabras (same as the resound ones) and have two all around profiles pretty much the same as you. I think I like the all access one a bit better but the wind noise in the m&rie I need for driving in the miata and other wind environments

No course transcript available yet - they might spend quite a while correcting typos in the speech-to-text transcript as Zoom would routinely make “M&RIE” as “marry” in the text, etc. The handouts associated with the course (all the slides and 3 white papers on M&RIE performance relative to standard HA’s) are available to me as a participant in the Audiology Online course listing and perhaps will be to anyone auditing audiology online when the course is available as a canned, archived session.

Below are five illustrative slides from the course.

First slide explains suitable patient conditions for fitting M&RIE receivers:

Relative to hearing loss falling EITHER entirely in the light gray areas or ENTIRELY in the dark gray areas BUT NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, the following examples were given:

The patient on the right above the loss falls too abruptly from minimal low frequency loss to moderately severe high frequency loss, so the patient is both in the light minimal loss area at low frequency and the more severe gray loss area at high frequency. Don’t think the speaker ever gave an exact rationale as to why not light gray loss and dark gray loss in the same patient at the same time.

The patient on the right is a better candidate because all of his/her loss is in the moderately severe dark gray regions of the fitting curve for M&RIE receivers.

Types of domes or molds appropriate for light gray or dark gray loss regions:

Illustration of how MSG (maximum stable gain) curves impinge on fitting:

The red regions of the gain curves shown for #1, #2, and #3 are either inaccessible because the gain amplitudes there exceed the MPO (maximum possible output) of the M&RIE receiver or the descending red curves in the 2K to 4K frequency and 6K and above show feedback regions that are verboten. However, up to 10 dB of overlap (amplification) into a feedback region is considered acceptable. Therefore, patients #1 and #2 are good candidates for M&RIE receivers, patient #3, where the required fitting curve amplification would go 20 to 30 dB into the feedback region, is not.

Basically, the dotted red line at the bottom of the MPO/feedback risk frequency regions is the maximum stable gain curve in the ReSound parlance.

Someone asked for #3 if one couldn’t just implement feedback control and the speaker said, yes, you could but it would reduce the allowed amplification and be seriously off the user’s prescribed fit - or something to that effect.

3 Likes

Thanks. Great info. I’m clearly not a candidate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this level of detail. According to this, I’m not a good candidate for the M&RIE receivers. My loss crosses the light gray/dark gray line, and the feedback calibration impinges as described in that slide #3.

I do like the sound, and haven’t had any real issues with the M&RIE receivers with M&RIE directionality, but this tells me that my aids are possibly programmed suboptimally.

I’m going to stay in All Around with All Access directionality over the next month, and will very likely switch back to standard MP receivers with medium closed domes at my next appointment on Oct. 11.

The first 1/2 to 2/3 of the presentation was more like a sales talk on the supposed benefits of M&RIE receivers and concentrated on stuff ReSound had already written white papers on - more natural “organic” sound, better localization, better wind suppression (when M&RIE microphones are active in M&RIE mode), slight enhancement of signal-to-noise ratio for speech in noise. But then when the presenter got to the good candidates/bad candidates part, she didn’t say where that data came from. At the very beginning of the talk, she thanked the audience of HCPs for all the wonderful feedback they’d provided on fitting M&RIE receivers over the past year so I (erroneously?) assumed that that’s where the recommendations on what type of patient that the M&RIE receivers works best with comes from. If you can get any further advice out of Costco fitters as to where you’re at with your fit and what ReSound is telling them relative to the Best Practices talk, I’m sure a lot of us would love to hear Costco’s take on how all this applies to the Jabras.

I’m just starting a trial of Resound One. The (Amplifon) audiologist supplied an unbranded charger which is identical to my Quattro charger. I was surprised to find that it doesn’t work with the Resound One. The Ones, being longer than the Quattros, sit too high in it to trigger whatever it is that detects their presence and if you hold them in and wedge them, although it then appears to be charging them both and the app shows that to be the case, in practice one is gradually discharged, so from four blobs to totally flat while in the charger overnight. You can charge them one at a time that way though. The charger works normally with my Quattros, so it’s not faulty.

All very odd. Anyway I will give her the bad news over the phone on Tuesday and then I will need to wait while they get the proper One Premium charger in for me.

Yes, when the One first came out that was a question from some Quattro user on the forum - do I need a new charger or can I make do with my Quattro charger and the answer was the shape of the HA was different and a new charger was required specifically for the One. Good Luck! Am looking forward to hearing what you think about the One - are you going for the M&RIE receivers? (I hope your HCP is more skilled with fitting than with picking chargers! :slightly_smiling_face:)

To be fair to her, I think she mostly sells the Amplifon branded version of the Resound One, which is in UK called the Amplifon On I believe. That comes in a shell that looks exactly like the rechargeable Quattro and uses an unbranded version of the Quattro charger. But I insisted on proper Resound Ones that she had to get in specially.

And I’m not trying M&RIE as my loss is not a good match, also judging by what you reported here from your online course recently. She actually fitted with HP receivers, but I may get a couple of spare conventional MP receivers as I’m just inside the fitting range for them, and see whether I like those better after I have made the necessary changes to my settings with SmartFit. Anyway all that will come later. I need to get the charger sorted first and then actually pay for the Ones which are on trial at the moment.

1 Like

I set up an in person appointment with my Costco fitter for Sept. 28. I printed out the slides from the course that you shared in this thread, and will show them to the fitter. I plan to ask her to talk with her ReSound rep, share my audiogram and M&RIE fitting results, and get their take.

It’s a process and journey that my fitter and I are on together, and there are enough benefits from Jabras with regular receivers to still warrant them replacing Prezas. The new receivers that better grip domes, the new closed domes, and the new All Access Directionality are three benefits that come to mind.

1 Like

I have the Jabra Enhance Pro with M&RIE which are ReSound One’s. I have tried All Access Directionality and M&RIE in the All Around. I prefer the M&RIE. The sound is much less tinny and more natural.
The transcript for the video is now available at Audiology Online. Registration is free.transcript-cont-resound-36998-mriereceiverbestpractices.pdf (106.8 KB)

1 Like

Well reporting back a bit more on my Resound One trial, recalling that I have used Quattros for two years and Resound 3Ds for a year or two before that.

I am still waiting for the charger issue to be sorted, but two observations in the meantime.

Firstly the battery life on one charge is better than the quattros. Resound claim 30 hours even with streaming and I can believe that.

But for me the thing that decides me that these are keepers is the much lower distortion level on music. They sound magical and I would buy them just for that. It’s startlingly better than the quattros (and I have two different pairs of quattros, one of which has been hardly used since they were replaced under warranty, so it’s not that the quattros are faulty).

More later…

2 Likes

Mind you, regarding my Resound One trial, I found the Smart Fit initial fit not very good. My left aid was too loud compared with my right and also the gain at 2-3KHz was about 4 dB too high on my left ear.

I have played around a lot with the settings in Smart Fit listening to my (expensive) HiFi as I do so and I reckon the issue is that threshold pure tone levels don’t work well as a measure of your hearing above threshold if you have any non-linearity due to sensorineural loss (which I do in my left ear, whereas my right ear has a similar loss but is still linear).

Anyway all very interesting.

The level of gain applied to one ear being wrong is potentially less to do with testing accuracy than the differences in the canal volume, impedance/venting vs the a standardised ear calculation. The effect these variations have on overall output of the hearing aid is huge.

Also you need to make sure that the BC values are entered into the system for both ears as without an accurate calculation of the conductive vs. Sensorineural loss the gain figure will be awry.

3 Likes

Thanks for the interesting observations. The left aid being too loud was on the initial fit done by my audiologist after she had done a new audiogram. She did include BC readings. But things are still moving around as it’s only 3 months since I had a stapedectomy op on my left ear.

It’s true that I have found ever since LINX 3D that the 2/3 kHz region is too high, by several dB. It doesn’t matter that much for speech, indeed it may even help, but for fidelity of music it isn’t a help at all. It may be to do with my ear canal geometry; I had already wondered about that. Anyway now I know about it, it’s an easy issue to solve and even easier having Smart Fit at home now. Fortunately my audiologist is relaxed about me tweaking the aids myself. It saves her a lot of short appointments with me and she says that I’m the only customer she has who talks dB and kHz to her or has views on things that might or might not need altering on the advanced settings tab. So she thinks that I do know what I’m doing, which to an extent I do….

4 Likes

I know this topic is a little old,but.not old to me,I have had my Jabra for almost 6 months,and still keep having them adjusted,what is MP receivers? I really don’t know if I was a good fit for these Jabra aids,I am really running out of time to return them only a week left to make my mind up,