Resound Preza from Costco

Tried the Avatar again and it worked.

Hey, I’m still using Win7 and I love it. Many times I have thought of going to win 10 but soon as I do they will come out with 11 or 12. I rarely use my PC anymore only to go in and do my banking. Sometimes when a website will not fit on the iPad I can bring it up on my PC.

Didn’t know that but I was trying to bring up some catalog items from Kohl’s department store and the tech told me go to your computer and see if you’ll get the whole page and I did.

Microsoft’s support for Windows 7 has ended (it came out in 2009). So if you keep using it, you’re likely to be more vulnerable to security problems. Some third-party security companies like McAfee or Symantec may try to offer you protection but running Windows 10 if you do use a PC would be safer. Microsoft also now provides its own security software in Windows 10 that is pretty highly rated these days. Even though the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 supposedly ended a few years ago, I heard within the past year or two that it still worked but if you have a very old computer and very old software on it, the upgrade path might be bumpy. I have successfully upgraded a 2009 Dell XPS-1340, a rather high-end laptop in its day, to Windows 10 and upgraded it through all versions of Windows 10 to the present. I’ll just provide the link to Microsoft announcement about the end of support and let you investigate the other possibilities yourself. I’ve used every Microsoft OS back to DOS 2.0 or so and I do think Windows 10 is the best version of Windows so far. I can run Linux on it, including Linux apps with a GUI (something you probably don’t want to do!).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4467761/windows-what-happens-when-windows-7-support-ends

1 Like

One problem might be that I’m assuming that ReSound Preza’s work just the same way ReSound Quattro’s do with Smart 3D and so on. So that might be a cause of differences in observations between us.

Just to illustrate the extreme difference in feedback that’s possible between an open dome vs. a mold with very little venting, I’m posting a fitting diagram that I have for the same ear with open dome on left, occlusive mold on the right and the grayish mountains coming down from the red regions at the top indicate inversely (top to bottom) increasing sensitivity to feedback as determined by a feedback test that your HCP can do. You can see with the much bigger gray area coming down with the open dome on the left, if I wore that, my ear would be much more sensitive to feedback (if you amplify up into any of the gray area, the HA’s will produce feedback). The fact that the graph on the right just has a small hill coming down indicates the ear will now be relatively immune to feedback. That allows input sounds to my ear to be amplified more up towards the top of the graph wearing the mold and a more aggressive amplification program is being used in the graph on the right as you can see the dotted lines can rise higher up without danger of entering a “gray mountain” feedback potential region. Wearing a more occlusive fit is not without its cost - there is the “sound of your own voice” problem that a lot of people don’t like but just like everything else, you can adjust to it and I much enjoy wearing molds for their other advantages.

Theoretically, your HCP could show you this very same diagram for your ears and explain how sensitive you might be to feedback with the domes you’re wearing. When I visit my audi, she has her fitting screen arranged in a way that I can see everything on it and she’s very willing to answer any question I want to ask her about my fit and how hearing aids work. So since it sounds like you have a great HCP, too, maybe he could do the same for you if you think it will help you understand what’s going on with your HA’s.

You might ask your HCP whether he’s set you up in the ReSound experience profile as a “First-Time User” or as “Experienced User(Nonlinear)” - and if not the latter, you might ask him if you could try that user experience profile. You get more amplification and I can hear speech a LOT better with it (plus the molds). Part of the greater amplification on the right is the switch from First-Time User to Experienced User (Nonlinear) and another part is using the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm as opposed to ReSound’s proprietary Audiogram+ (which ReSound claims most users prefer over NAL-NL2-but I don’t). If you were willing to temporarily sacrifice one of the four programs (Restaurant?, Outdoors?), your HCP could even put one user profile/one fitting profile is as one version of the All-Around program and another version of the All-Around program in in place of, say, the Outdoors program with a different user experience profile and/or fitting algorithm and you could switch back and forth between the programs and see what fit you liked best - then go back to using all the regular programs adjusted for the experience profile, the fitting algorithm that you think worked best for you. I think this great idea was suggested quite a while ago by Neville to Volusiano in an Opn1 thread and I tried it myself to decide that I liked the Experienced User (Nonlinear) user profile with the NAL-NL2 fitting algorithm best. But your HCP could discuss the possible differences you might experience switching around like this and whether Costco’s fitting policy allows you to play around “creatively” like this. It could be a big waste of your time and his and it’s really only for folks that are keenly interested in tuning their fit to the umpteenth degree and have very understanding HCP’s who are willing to humor them!

P.S. The graphs show the amount of gain in dB being applied to soft, moderate, and loud sounds across the frequency spectrum for the parameters in play with the right ear (“red is right”). Perhaps somewhat counterintuitively, though, soft sounds are the highest curve, moderate the intermediate, and loud sounds the lowest. So basically, the curve shows that soft sounds are amplified much more for me in the right curve than the left. Since soft speech sounds of my soft-spoken wife are what I want to hear better, the right fitting parameters work a lot better for me. For anyone else, YMMV. Loud sounds are not being amplified at all, either, for either fitting algorithm. The HA is just replaying them into the ear at the same loudness the mics hear them.

My Win7 support and updates ended January 15. I bought this HP AMD processor in 2007 for $600 on black Fri. It came bundled with so much it was incredible. I got my 22 inch monitor, a printer, and more software than I could imagine. WP, Light Scribe, games, etc. now you have to pay for any software you want. It has served me well but now I would like an SS.

I use Avast for my Security. They are pretty awesome. I remember when when 10 first came out they had an awful lot of problems and you could get a free update for a year but I never bothered. if I do so now it would be around $200. But I always wonder if I should just get a new laptop instead. mine is a desktop. Then if I get a laptop I am wondering should I get a touch screen. Some people like them Some don’t. If you breathe on the screen it takes that as a command.

Also I am considering getting an iPhone 11. my SE is taking a lot longer to recharge. It is 2 1/2 years old. Costco has an excellent price on the iPhone 11.$630. Have not seen it cheaper anywhere else. Because I am so aged my son thinks I should just stick with what I know and what I have. LOL :joy:.

If you like small phones, the new version of the SE is out and is around $400

2 Likes

Don’t know about the logistics during the pandemic but Apple can replace the battery on an iPhone for a pretty reasonable price.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

According to How to Geek, as of January 15, 2020, the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is still FREE. Microsoft has quietly continued it. But a computer as old as yours might have some problems. I’ve upgrades a 2009, two 2011, 2013, and 2015 computer in all sorts of shapes and form factors (e.g., 8-in tablet with digital pen). I would blame any computer for which you breathe on the screen and stuff goes bad on a crummy manufacturer, not Windows. I have 2 different touch-screen devices and no such problems. Windows script recognition of handwritten input with a pen works great.

The breathing on the screen is just so much hyperbole. I can have Apple replace a battery in my SE for $40. Did not get a price from Best Buy because they said there was no problem.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to replace my Win 7 with 10?. to me it looks so complicated. I would have to have my son do it but if that takes many hours I hate to ask him.

I have an external hard drive for back up. I could delete a lot files I no longer need or want before I begin.

Side note here: I really miss my PC tech from Florida, he raised his price coming to the house from $40 an hour to $50. Then he would also answer any questions in an email. I cannot find any one like that here.:joy::joy::joy:

Thank you for the links for installing the Win 10 and also how to back up. That was so great that it looks if you could read English maybe you could do it, but I don’t know. Going to print that page.

The charging case is alleged to assist with normal moisture removal

Your last parag. is very int’g! I no longer work and have a simpler life, but love my (Cala) Resounds and my iPhone. Don’t use the ReSound app v. much but should. Thx! I’ve been quite happy w/ the iPhone’s built-in app to adjust HA.

1 Like

I don’t have a Streaming Focus in my Resound 3-D App. Frankly I am at a loss with what you just said. I have an IPhone SE but I don’t think that should make any difference as far as the app is concerned if you have a later iPhone model.

Don’t know about the iPhone but for Android the streaming focus option only appears when you are Bluetooth streaming something from your phone (or from what Neilk wrote, apparently when you are in a phone call connected to your HA’s via Bluetooth). Try calling your cell phone while it is connected to your hearing aids via Bluetooth (MFi) using another phone or have someone else call your cell phone while your phone is connected to your HA’s (turn the volume down).

When you answer the phone from the program that you are in, the center of your phone screen will change to a big Phone Call “billboard” message and below that on the left will be “Call Focus” and on the right it will say “Hear all.” If you finger tap on “Call Focus,” your external mics will shut off. Down below the big board message is a volume slider that is labeled Surroundings. If you leave the call on the Hear All option, you can adjust the volume of your Surroundings by moving the slider. If you move the slider all the way to the left, you will almost effectively cut off your external mics listening to the environment as much as if you had pressed the Call Focus option.

A similar set of labeled options should appear in the Smart 3D app when you are just streaming media from your phone to your HA’s. I am using a Phone Clip+ as an intermediate streamer since my Android phone is several years old and doesn’t have direct streaming. Don’t know if Neilk is streaming directly from his iPhone?

Even if you don’t make any adjustments with the Smart 3D app, the default option in your HA fitting is probably set to turn the volume on your external mic input down by about 3 dB when you answer a cell phone call when your cell is connected to your HA’s via Bluetooth. It’s automatically programmed into the hearing aids themselves and doesn’t depend on the Smart 3D app. But the Smart 3D app allows you to further customize how your HA’s behave while streaming or in a phone call streamed directly to your HA’s. Hope this helps and I guess if you can’t find the option, ask your fitter (or maybe someone on the forum can further help).

1 Like

Hi Jim, wow I never knew that I had that Call Focus feature because I have never had to use it. I thought at first that it may have only been for the Quattro ‘s. Called Resound and he led me through the steps. I had never touched that X in the upper right hand corner when in All Around.

Learning new things every day. I have mentioned before that my brand new apartment is so noise proof I have not had to use it. Also have not had a chance to go to a noisy restaurant.

These Resounds are working so well for me that I put them on first thing in the morning and then forget about them. I hardly know they are in my ears.

Have a good day and hearing. :hugs:

2 Likes

I purchased a pair of Resound Preza hearing aids from Costco right at the time they came out in summer 2019, so I have had them now for about 18 months. Here is a summary of my experience with them:

• The sound quality and voice recognition are very good.
  • The iPhone app is very good in the sense that it has many useful control features and is easy to navigate.
  • The hearing aids have failed (stopped working) four different times. Not good! Each time Costco returned them to Resound for repair or replacement. The turnaround time was fairly fast, about one week each time.
  • The Bluetooth telephone feature, the ability to hear telephone calls through the hearing aids, is horrible. When it works, the sound quality is fine. But it is rare to have a phone call in which the sounds does not switch on and off intermittently throughout the call. It may switch from one ear to the other, or switch off completely so that I hear nothing. It is terrible. It was so bad that I completely uninstalled and then reinstalled the iPhone app and the Bluetooth connection under the direction of Resound technical support. It improved nothing. Then I returned the hearing aids to Resound for a complete replacement with a new pair. The problem persisted. So it is obviously a design problem deep inside the hearing aids, not something that I can correct. If telephone conversations using your hearing aids are important to you, avoid the Resound Preza!
1 Like

I purchased the resound linx Quattro HAs at the end of 2018 from an audiologist and they have got back seven times. They cover it under warranty but this has been extremely frustrating. I reviewed this thread to consider getting my next pair at Costco for a better price point. I was curious if anyone is happy with their current brand and if they have had to send them back several times? These are great when they work but they just quit out of no where and when I ask for an explanation when they are sent it they just send a new one with no info.

My experience with ReSound Prezas for phone direct streaming has been excellent, unlike yours. I regret your troubles. However, the Smart3D app often fails to connect. ReSound’s forums admit troubles coordinating with iOS upgrades, also regrettable. Happy New Year! Best, Bob.

So, do you have the soft ones now? If so, do you not get all the sounds you mention (chewing, etc)? I have the hard plastic ones, and was not made aware that soft ones were available.

I went from KS 6’s to Preza’s (both from Resound) in Jan 2021, and the Preza’s are a vast improvement over the KS 6’s. Speech recognition is much improved, I don’t have any issues with streaming or phone calls but I have an iPhone 12 (didn’t catch what iPhone you were using) it might explain the better experience? :man_shrugging: The iPhone app is also an improvement over their KS6 version with quicker and more solid connections. Also use the Apple Watch app, which is very convenient but a bit less reliable and slower to connect, than the phone app.
Haven’t had any HA failures yet (and hope I don’t)!

I think the default setting is to have the Sound Enhancer features of the Smart 3D app turned off on the Apple Watch but have you checked the Smart 3D app on your iPhone under More, Apple Watch, Watch settings? If you want the maximum (but simplified) performance out of the app on your Apple Watch, the slider on the Sounder Enhancer Features should be set to OFF, as the app description of the feature indicates. Do you have the Apple Watch 6? Although it takes a while to launch the app on the Apple Watch, once it’s been loaded, I find the 3D app fairly responsive on my Apple Watch 6. Very nice the way they’ve redesigned the Smart 3D interface to work on the watch and one of the reasons I’m switching from Android to iPhone. Ain’t no such app (so far) for a Samsung Galaxy Watch.

Hi Jim and thanks. I do have the sound enhancer turned off for the watch (series 6). And don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about the watch app, I don’t think anyone else has anything that even comes close! Just an observation that the watch app is a bit less reliable than the phone app. When it’s connected it works fine and it’s very responsive but sometimes it takes awhile for it to connect. And as fate would have it, that’s usually when I am most in need of a quick connection.

1 Like