Resound One vs Phonak Paradise trial

Are you sure you need to un-pair and re-pair devices? Most of us just turn Bluetooth off and on pending on which device we want to use having only one Bluetooth turned on at a time.

now what if I am on the ipad and the phone rings I have to disconnect the stupid bt to go back to the phone? This is where I am having the issues . Its just 8 grand to be stuck where I was before is annoying

I sympathize with your frustration. It was a primary factor in my choice to go with the Paradise HAs. I go back and forth between my iPhone and iPad all day long without any hiccups. When a phone call comes in my streaming from my iPad stops when I answer the call, and then resumes when I hang up. Same when I am streaming from my iPhone.

2 Likes

I currently have an android but will be moving back to apple once we get our tax money back. I just got new ipad in August. I guess she thought I was an old lady but I listen to youtube and music all day and I spend about 85% of my life alone and need my tech LOL

My take is that hearing aid streaming tech is not yet at the level where it ā€œjust works.ā€ Some people get lucky and things go smoothly for them. Some carefully read manuals, learn what to expect and are not disappointed. Many have an idea of how they think things should work and are often disappointed.

3 Likes

I think the way that Resound intend the ā€œoptimize MFI connectionā€ toggle in the app to be used is that you should select that if you are using your Resound MFI HAs with more than one Apple product, for example an iPhone and iPad.

If you do toggle that on then the iPhone or iPad drops the connection as soon as you take the focus off the app, unless presumably you are streaming. When you open the app on either of the paired Apple devices, that device connects to the HAs.

It takes a few seconds to do this and the location information for a lost aid wonā€™t be there, so Resound advise not to toggle that switch on if you are using your HAs with just one device.

How this all works in practice is not something I ever explored, but anyway hopefully the above will be of interest to someone.

1 Like

@lbr0el0fs (and everyone else) - Thanks for the great write-up!

Iā€™m currently in a trial period with the Resound One 7, and I have seen a noticeable improvement over my 6 year old Phonaks. I was pretty sold on the Resound Ones, but a different audi has recommended that I also look into the Phonak Paradise.

My main concern is echo / noise cancellation in noisy restaurant environments. I have difficulty hearing conversations in such environments. While I have noticed a definite improvement with the Resound Ones, now I was curious if the Paradise is as good or better. The Paradise seems to be much better than the Resound Ones for phone/device connectivity and usability.

Does anybody have feedback (pun intended!) on the echo/noise suppression differences between the Paradise and Ones? The M&RIE feature of the Resound Ones seems like they should be better, but maybe that is more of a marketing gimmick.

Cheers,

AzJazz

Last oct/Nov I did a trial of both and has you probably read, I chose the Paradise. Both provided speech directionally in the same noisy bar/restaurant , even sitting in the same spot three weeks apart on a Friday evening. Background noise suppression was fairly close between them, and listening to my wife was very good even with her soft voice.
I felt the Paradise switched between programs (Autosense 4.0) nicely when moving between environments; I live on a outer island on the Gulf of Mexico and it can get windy. Both suppressed the wind nicely, so that was even.
Both have decent apps that can help you adjust to your liking in various environments.
My decision came down to Paradiseā€™s ability to connect simultaneously to my iPad and iPhone which I switch between throughout the day.
I also get a kick out of the double tap, and notice the motion detection when I start my walks going right out the door.
Also, for the first time I have rechargeable batteries after five previous HAs with disposables. So far I like the rechargeable, but I had no problem with the disposable ones . Thought I would give it a try for a couple of years.
You wonā€™t go wrong with either the Ones or Paradise.
Good luck.

5 Likes

Awesome!

Iā€™ll try the Paradise after I finish my trial with the Ones. My new audi says the price will be identical between the top end models, so it will just come down to performance.

Iā€™m not happy with how poorly the Ones are connecting on phone calls so far (rarely successful), and I noticed that I still need to hold my phone close to my mouth to be heard on the other end. So the Ones donā€™t use any of its microphones as a phone microphone. My audi said that the Paradise works similar to the newer wireless headsets, where a microphone on the Paradise acts as the phone microphone - so I can leave my phone in my pocket during calls.

AzJazz

1 Like

The double tap works nicely snd I do enjoy the phone calls using the mics for phone calls. The receiver of my call says I sound fine and they hear me well. Good luck!

1 Like

Paradise (P90R)does use the HAs as your microphone when talking on the phone. I really like the way I can simply tap my right HA to answer a call without even taking my iPhone out of my pocket, whether my phone is in my right or left pocket. I have not missed a single call due to a glitch in the BT connection.
Some mornings I sometimes have to reconnect my Paradise to my iPhone or iPad by going to settings then BT, then touching the R-Phonak hearing aid. It reconnects in a second or two. I have a iPhone 11 Pro Max.
After almost three months of using the Paradise HAs I have to say that they are the clearest, most effective HAs in hearing speech that I have ever owned going back over the 20 years of wearing HAs.

3 Likes

Iā€™m struggling with hearing aids all my life and still no aid come to help me properly with my speech recognition problems.

Currently I have Resound ONE 9 pair that ordered online and Phonak Paradise 90R that I got almost for free (my government helps people with hearing loss).

The reason I ordered ONEs is because of MR&E that was heavily advertised for speech recognition and itā€™s important for me due to my work.

I still learning both pairs and have to say that both are excellent and big step forward comparing to my previous HAs (latest one was Resound 3D 9).

I already have big winner between them, but will keep you updated in my next iterations, since due to Covid restrictions still no idea of their behavior in challenged environments.

4 Likes

I have few updates after using P90 and ONEs in different situations.

P90 ā€“ lovely Autosense 4.0, able to connect to Laptop, cell phone and TV without any issues.

Phonak app is disaster, does not connect properly and does not keep setting, not suitable for company that positioning itself as setting new standards in the industry.

Resound ONEs ā€“ in noisy situation when P90 is on edge of speech recognition and after switching to ONEs, I was able to understand speech again.

I found that Resound claim for 30% better speech understanding is true.

2 Likes

Have you had REM (Real Ear Measurement) on both aids?

Very surprised that you are not hearing speech with the Phonaks. Are you sure they are programmed correctly?

No REM, both ONEs and P90 were configured as default.
P90 very good with speech, but ONEs bring more speech in difficult situations.

P90 should also perform for speech in difficult conditions. It looks like they have not been programmed correctly for your loss.

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m interested in P90 vs. Ones for my next set of HAā€™s - also the OPN Moreā€™s - but maybe waiting 'til the next version of each.

Do you know what ReSound One mode youā€™re in when in the difficult noisy situations? Supposedly, the noisy it gets, the more the Ones switch from use of the M&RIE mics in the ears to just the two mics behind the ears. And then there is the ReSound One ā€œUltrafocusā€ mode - or whatever itā€™s called, where the rear mics form a very narrow hearing beam that only takes in 20% of the area or something like that right in front of you. So if the P90ā€™s arenā€™t in the same mode (very narrow, out front beam-forming mode), it might be a bit of an unfair comparison. If would be neat (but maybe a tedious bunch of work) to know how the best focused mode of the P90ā€™s compares to that of the ReSound One. In the ReSound One ads, ReSound seems to emphasize switching to the Ultrafocus mode for the most difficult speech situations so Iā€™m very interested to know how well that works. Same for any extremely focused mode for P90ā€™s, Moreā€™s, etc.

Hi Jim,

Iā€™m currently on trial period with P90 and was told by my audi that she set gentle regime to get used to Phonak, so you are right, itā€™s not fair to compare P90 to ONE that actually set to experience user algorithm, so my apologies to Phonak owners who was insulted with my claims.

The truth is that I fell in love with P90 and not sure that will ask audi to change current settings, since itā€™s nice for daily use, sometime I even forget that I wearing themā€¦

For work, I definitely will use ONE that sounds crisper, not easy for ears, but I have to be on safe side that less words will be lost. Also MFI BT is more reliable and clear, classic BT (P90) is nice for TV and laptop, but failed me twice in 2 weeks during important video meetings.

After trial period (ends in 2 weeks) I definitely will ā€œplayā€ with setting of P90 to answer your questions.

2 Likes

In this case Iā€™d change the fitter to find someone who is able to provide proper fit for both so that I can really compare apples to apples, and not apples to bananas.

As a bare minimum, you should get WRS with each aid on 65db speech the same as without aids on loud speech. In quiet. Then with white noise as background.
IF you get the same values, then we can say theyā€™re remotely similar in set up and comparison in real life looks fair.

Since you didnā€™t mention how fitting looks like, I just assume average, which is actually ā€˜averagely poorā€™ :frowning:

But, if youā€™re stuck with this fitter and they donā€™t utilize best practices, then Iā€™d say - go with the one that gives you best results in these conditions.
Itā€™s just that Iā€™d put much much more emphasis on finding a fitter who follows best practices, because poor fitters will make a poor job, and good fitter will squeeze the best out of low tier aids and even surpass the poor fitterā€™s job on top tech aids.

I had a back to back experience with same aid (not the same unit, but the same model), fitted by poor fitter who did default + ā€˜how to your hear me nowā€™, and went through weeks of adjustment and Iā€™d understand better without that aid.
Then I went to someone who follows best practices, and in just one setup session I was flabbergasted how much better I can hear and understand and how insanely better that is compared to the default by manufacturer.

So, I cannot emphasize enough how important is to find a really knowledgeable fitter.
Manufacturer comes second.

2 Likes

My observation so far for using ONEs and P90.
ONEs - did not take long to realize that I donā€™t need to glare at speaker anymore and ask to remove mask as words coming somehow strait forward to my brain, somehow inside of my head and I can just stay or walk with my friends and simply relax and enjoy conversation without thinking twice.
The feeling remind me my childhood when my hearing was good and I shouldnā€™t tense my nerves and be ready any moment to start working on speech comprehension. I believe itā€™s M&RIEā€™s work.
Ultra focus - at last I can enjoy lunch with my colleagues and not just sit on the corner, chewing your food and thinking how miserable my life is. With ultra focus program my brain puts every word on the wall and narcissistically giggles of its own work. Itā€™s manual program, yes, but it can be easy kicked on from Apple Watch, resound app or from native iPhone app by double tap on phoneā€™s back that instantly connected to ONEs and ready for my commands.
All Around - ability to completely eliminate noise is impressive. Noise level in my office from road nearby and AC is 60 decibel, measured by Apple Watch, and no squeak coming to my ears.
My applause to GN Resound team for good job, however feedback still there and M&RIE receivers work on edge for my loss and they are not capable to handle particular frequencies despite of trying set them on smartfit. Also hole in my budget does not add to my mood.

P90 - hmm, overall they are good, nothing special.
Well, how to explain it gently by non English speaker.
Imagine situation, when everything - noises, clutches, speeches from every direction thrown into same bag and blasted into your head saying I did my job, I reduced some frequencies and amplified some, now, brain, itā€™s your job to eat your sugar and work hard and build puzzle and try different templates for snippets of conversation in real time! That results with asking talker to repeat again and again. How itā€™s prostrating, but it seems that HAs companies have little idea what to do and itā€™s ok, since I donā€™t have as well.
Actually, I do have an idea, nowadays you can easily use online Amazon cloud AI services for turning speeches to text and back into any voice, while eliminating redundant sounds. Going to develop an application for smartphone and test it on my AirPods, will update soon.

3 Likes